New York State Employee 19% Discount

I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I produced
NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer Service is now
telling me I have to fax in a particular document to get this. Can anybody
confirm if this is how it works?
18 answers Last reply
More about york state employee discount

    Some time around Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:02:39 GMT (give or take a month), someone who says they are
    named Nobody <nobody@nowhere.com> fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled on about:

    >I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I produced
    >NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer Service is now
    >telling me I have to fax in a particular document to get this. Can anybody
    >confirm if this is how it works?

    Our company offers a discount. We had a central number to call, which I think was a verizon number,
    they asked us who I worked for and this discount would appear within two billing cycles. Soon after
    I received a notice in the mail about my change of service, and the next bill had the discount.
    (the wrong company was listed, but the discount was there)

    -W

    "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I
    produced
    > NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer Service is now
    > telling me I have to fax in a particular document to get this. Can
    anybody
    > confirm if this is how it works?

    I was the one who told you of the discount.
    It is quite simple call the store and tell them that when you went and
    had the 19% discount applied (Could have used CSEA or PEF Cards as
    well as your NYS State ID) at the counter and then they add it in.
    That discount is on your plan price so if the price plan is $39.99 its
    19% off that and not the total bill/invoice.

    In the NYS OGS Contract there is a toll free number to call and they
    will have you fax your NYS ID and its then added on.
    You PEF people have a load of problems huh?
    http://www.ogs.state.ny.us/purchase/snt/awardnotes/77008t970332award.pdf

    I have alerted my members to how to get the credit and it shows up in
    their invoices within 2 bill cycles since if you add it on after your
    bill closing date it will appear next month.

    Elector

    "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in

    > "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I
    > produced
    >> NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer Service is now
    >> telling me I have to fax in a particular document to get this. Can
    > anybody
    >> confirm if this is how it works?
    >
    > I was the one who told you of the discount.
    > It is quite simple call the store and tell them that when you went and
    > had the 19% discount applied (Could have used CSEA or PEF Cards as
    > well as your NYS State ID) at the counter and then they add it in.
    > That discount is on your plan price so if the price plan is $39.99 its
    > 19% off that and not the total bill/invoice.
    >
    > In the NYS OGS Contract there is a toll free number to call and they
    > will have you fax your NYS ID and its then added on.
    > You PEF people have a load of problems huh?
    > http://www.ogs.state.ny.us/purchase/snt/awardnotes/77008t970332award.pdf
    >
    > I have alerted my members to how to get the credit and it shows up in
    > their invoices within 2 bill cycles since if you add it on after your
    > bill closing date it will appear next month.

    I did show my ID to the salesman, but the discount wasn't applied. I'll
    call the store today and see what bs they have for me. Thanks.

    > I did show my ID to the salesman, but the discount wasn't applied. I'll
    > call the store today and see what bs they have for me. Thanks.

    Depending if you went to the Crossgates Mall Location or the Colonie Store
    the folks would have had to Xerox the ID card and then the code is added to
    the account. But you have to be on a $35 or higher plan to get the 19% NYS
    Employee Discount.

    CSEA and PEF have a 19% discount on service if you did not have the employee
    ID card with you.

    Elector

    "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I produced
    > NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer Service is now
    > telling me I have to fax in a particular document to get this. Can
    anybody
    > confirm if this is how it works?

    That's exactly it. I work in the call center that handles the
    employee liable accounts for the Northeast, and am part of the special group
    that works with them. In order to get the discount you must call
    1-866-456-7892, choose option 1, and put in a number where you can receive a
    fax. Once you've filled that out, you then fax that paperwork back to VZW
    with proof of employment (either picture ID or recent pay stub) and then the
    discount will be added to your account.
    --
    "Obscurity is Often the Refuge of the Incompetent."
    Jubal Harshaw in Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

    "RiftMaven" <riftmaven@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I produced
    > > NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer Service is now
    > > telling me I have to fax in a particular document to get this. Can
    > anybody
    > > confirm if this is how it works?
    >
    > That's exactly it. I work in the call center that handles the
    > employee liable accounts for the Northeast, and am part of the special
    group
    > that works with them. In order to get the discount you must call
    > 1-866-456-7892, choose option 1, and put in a number where you can receive
    > fax. Once you've filled that out, you then fax that paperwork back to VZW
    > with proof of employment (either picture ID or recent pay stub) and then
    the
    > discount will be added to your account.
    > --
    > "Obscurity is Often the Refuge of the Incompetent."
    > Jubal Harshaw in Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

    Well the folks at the Crossgates Mall and Colonie NY stores must be doing it
    all wrong and getting it applied. It is a simple code added to the account.
    Any competent sales person or account rep can activate it. The girl at the
    Crossgates store simply takes your id and makes a copy of it. She then goes
    into the account and adds the code. Simple, no faxing back and forth etc.

    You can also do the way you said, but why would anyone want to do it that
    way? The stores are capable of doing a simple code add.

    Elector

    Would this discount apply to retired NY State Employees?--I am still a
    member of UUP (United University Professions)--a part of the AFT
    (American Federation of Teachers).

    Thanks
    Mahl

    "Mahlon Wagner" <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Wovld this discovnt apply to retired NY State Employees?--I am still a
    > member of UUP (United University Professions)--a part of the AFT
    > (American Federation of Teachers).
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mahl

    Sovnds abovt right, a former vnion goon wanting a discovnt for nothing....

    Dan'l.

    "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in news:0WOfc.29772$1U2.9446
    @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I
    > produced
    >> NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer Service is now
    >> telling me I have to fax in a particular document to get this. Can
    > anybody
    >> confirm if this is how it works?
    >
    > I was the one who told you of the discount.
    > It is quite simple call the store and tell them that when you went and
    > had the 19% discount applied (Could have used CSEA or PEF Cards as
    > well as your NYS State ID) at the counter and then they add it in.
    > That discount is on your plan price so if the price plan is $39.99 its
    > 19% off that and not the total bill/invoice.
    >
    > In the NYS OGS Contract there is a toll free number to call and they
    > will have you fax your NYS ID and its then added on.
    > You PEF people have a load of problems huh?
    > http://www.ogs.state.ny.us/purchase/snt/awardnotes/77008t970332award.pd
    >
    > I have alerted my members to how to get the credit and it shows up in
    > their invoices within 2 bill cycles since if you add it on after your
    > bill closing date it will appear next month.

    Ya, called the store. Calling *611 (which is national support, I
    assume?) was a waste of time. In five minutes, the store added the
    discount and credited my current bill back to day one.

    "RiftMaven" <riftmaven@mindspring.com> wrote in

    > "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I
    >> produced NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer
    >> Service is now telling me I have to fax in a particular document to
    >> get this. Can
    > anybody
    >> confirm if this is how it works?
    >
    > That's exactly it. I work in the call center that handles the
    > employee liable accounts for the Northeast, and am part of the special
    > group that works with them. In order to get the discount you must
    > call 1-866-456-7892, choose option 1, and put in a number where you
    > can receive a fax. Once you've filled that out, you then fax that
    > paperwork back to VZW with proof of employment (either picture ID or
    > recent pay stub) and then the discount will be added to your account.

    Didn't need to...the local store had my account marked as a NYS employee,
    but the account didn't have the account activated...they took care of it
    over the phone.

    > "RiftMaven" <riftmaven@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> > I was told by the salesman this would just appear on my bill (I
    >> > produced NYS id on purchase). Of course, it didn't. Customer
    >> > Service is now telling me I have to fax in a particular document to
    >> > get this. Can
    >> anybody
    >> > confirm if this is how it works?
    >>
    >> That's exactly it. I work in the call center that handles
    >> the
    >> employee liable accounts for the Northeast, and am part of the
    >> special
    > group
    >> that works with them. In order to get the discount you must call
    >> 1-866-456-7892, choose option 1, and put in a number where you can
    >> receive
    >> fax. Once you've filled that out, you then fax that paperwork back
    >> to VZW with proof of employment (either picture ID or recent pay
    >> stub) and then
    > the
    >> discount will be added to your account.
    >> --
    >> "Obscurity is Often the Refuge of the Incompetent."
    >> Jubal Harshaw in Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
    >>

    > Well the folks at the Crossgates Mall and Colonie NY stores must be
    > doing it all wrong and getting it applied. It is a simple code added
    > to the account. Any competent sales person or account rep can activate
    > it. The girl at the Crossgates store simply takes your id and makes a
    > copy of it. She then goes into the account and adds the code. Simple,
    > no faxing back and forth etc.
    >
    > You can also do the way you said, but why would anyone want to do it
    > that way? The stores are capable of doing a simple code add.

    Yep. BTW, #BAL after I hung up the phone reflected the one-time credit
    to make the discount retroactive to day one.

    You should also know that the 19% discount on Verizon service is also
    available to all New York City government employees as well. I go
    through our Corporare rep. and don't have the code myself, but I'll
    have to e-mail him and ask him for it as a point of reference for
    people. You will have to provide proof of employment, but it's
    relatively simple. It will extend your contract by one extra year
    though.

    It can be a hassle at some stores though. I went to a co-worker to
    purchase a new Verizon cellphone and we asked to have the 19% discount
    applied to her account and the rep, while helpful, could not find it.
    Yet another co-worker had done exactly the same thing in the same
    Verizon Wireless store at 100 Wall Street not one month earlier. Go
    figure. I did my discount via e-mail with our Verizon rep.

    Sprint, Nextel and AT&T also provide 10% discounts to New York City
    government employees. Which is interesting, because the City
    maintains contracts with Nextel and AT&T, but not Sprint (although at
    least one city agency I know of uses Sprint). I don't know what
    discount (if any) are available from Cingular.

    "Stephen Feger" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    > You should also know that the 19% discount on Verizon service is
    also
    > available to all New York City government employees as well. I go
    > through our Corporare rep. and don't have the code myself, but I'll
    > have to e-mail him and ask him for it as a point of reference for
    > people. You will have to provide proof of employment, but it's
    > relatively simple. It will extend your contract by one extra year
    > though.

    Stephen:

    It does not extend your service by one year. It is a benefit of a
    contract with your "Employer" or "Service Organization" if anyone had
    gotten their contracts extended by one year call up Verizon and make
    damn sure that the Discount is unconditional.

    Elector

    "Mahlon Wagner" <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Wovld this discovnt apply to retired NY State Employees?--I am still
    > member of UUP (United University Professions)--a part of the AFT
    > (American Federation of Teachers).
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mahl

    The discovnt applies to "Cvrrent NYS Employees and their Families" bvt
    UUP as with the other Unions (CSEA, PEF, Covncil 82, UFT) have an
    agreement for discovnts as well as for retirees.

    Elector

    "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Ya, called the store. Calling *611 (which is national support, I
    > assume?) was a waste of time. In five minutes, the store added the
    > discount and credited my current bill back to day one.

    I have to give the Crossgates Mall and Colonie NY stores a big "Atta
    Boy" since they seem to be not only co-operative in their dealings
    with the customers but seem to take care of you long after they sell
    you service. I prefer them over the telephone (Non-Support) droids

    Elector

    Elector,

    Our corporate rep. said the same thing as you and yet I still received
    a letter in the mail from Verizon saying that my contract had been
    extended one year past my current contract end date. I'll follow up
    with him again on Monday.

    Thanks.

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:54:52 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Feger" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    >> You should also know that the 19% discount on Verizon service is
    >also
    >> available to all New York City government employees as well. I go
    >> through our Corporare rep. and don't have the code myself, but I'll
    >> have to e-mail him and ask him for it as a point of reference for
    >> people. You will have to provide proof of employment, but it's
    >> relatively simple. It will extend your contract by one extra year
    >> though.
    >>

    >Stephen:
    >
    >It does not extend your service by one year. It is a benefit of a
    >contract with your "Employer" or "Service Organization" if anyone had
    >gotten their contracts extended by one year call up Verizon and make
    >damn sure that the Discount is unconditional.
    >
    >Elector

    While this is somewhat off the topic at hand, perhaps some of the
    comments below deserve to be addressed.

    I mvst admit some discomfort in Mr. Dravot's description. I am svre
    that he is vnaware that the vniversity teachers in the New York State
    system fovght vnsvccessfvlly to avoid vnion representation. Bvt the New
    York State Legislatvre in its infinite wisdom passed a law forcing vs to
    join the vnion whether we wanted to or not.

    Mr. Dravot also svggests that some people want a discovnt for nothing.
    One might make a similar argvment for paying one's income taxes and not
    taking advantage of available dedvctions.

    On the other hand "Elector's" vsefvl comments are appreciated.
    Mahl

    > While this is somewhat off the topic at hand, perhaps some of the
    > comments below deserve to be addressed.
    >
    > I mvst admit some discomfort in Mr. Dravot's description. I am svre
    > that he is vnaware that the vniversity teachers in the New York
    State
    > system fovght vnsvccessfvlly to avoid vnion representation. Bvt the
    New
    > York State Legislatvre in its infinite wisdom passed a law forcing
    vs to
    > join the vnion whether we wanted to or not.
    >
    > Mr. Dravot also svggests that some people want a discovnt for
    nothing.
    > One might make a similar argvment for paying one's income taxes and
    not
    > taking advantage of available dedvctions.
    >
    > On the other hand "Elector's" vsefvl comments are appreciated.
    > Mahl

    Even thovgh this may be off topic now here goes.

    The State of New York at the instance of The Civil Service Employees
    Association, Inc. passed and repassed the "Agency Shop Fee Law" for a
    lack of a better name. In that when a member receives services from a
    vnion and the non-members need assistance in their variovs job
    classifications vnder that vnion it is only fair that those receiving
    benefit of "Fair Representation" pay for that service.

    If the person elected not to join a vnion, which I am svre many wovld
    not to save that $360 a year or more in vnion dves, then the benefit
    packages wovld not be available to yov. In fact yovr health insvrance
    co-pays wovld be higher, as the cost of that health insvrance wovld be
    higher or non existent, no eye glass or dental coverage's,
    prescription drvg co-pays wovld be higher or not available to yov,
    yovr retirement benefits wovld not apply or any incentive to leave
    state service. That is jvst for starters. Yov covld also lose yovr job
    with ovt benefit of the grievance process or protections.

    Additionally yov wovld have to deal with the States Employee Relations
    Division to make yovr own personal contract. Covld yov see every non
    vnionized employee not in the Managerial-Confidential Class trying to
    get a better contract for their services? It wovld border on the
    insane.

    Also remember it was the vnion (UFT) that has gotten teachers rights
    for not working 4 months ovt of a year to be considered fvll time
    employees with no breaks in service, have gotten part time teachers
    benefits that they never had before and they also got them pay raises
    for working that eight month stint where many workers in other
    professions work a 12 month stints. Not bad I wovld say.

    The vnions also offer other perks like low cost loans, low interest
    credit cards, edvcational benefits, scholarships for one reason or the
    other, low cost home owner programs or first time bvyer programs and a
    myriad of other things I wovld only gvess at for the teachers vnion.

    Unions have their good points and their bad like many things.

    Now to make this on topic:

    CSEA offers Verizon Wireless discovnts in all of its six regions and
    that inclvdes NYC so if yov are a city worker covered by CSEA look at
    the possibility of getting that discovnt.

    Elector

Verizon Internet Service Providers