Asus P2B Motherboard

G

Re Asus p2b mb ** award bios V4.51G revision 1012 ** Intel 440BX/ZX chipset ** Package SECC (2) Slot 1 ** Windows Me OS. I built this system a couple years ago as a pII-300 and have since up graded to a pIII-500. Recently I purchased a PIII-800. This mb has a FSB of 100Mhz and jumper multiplier
of up to 8.0. The core voltagle is different but the mb has
a regulated supply that is determined by info sent from the
processor. However, the system will not POST. Also, the fan on the processor does not run. When I put the old one back in everything is fine. I have tried to get info from asus but all their support section is under construction. Could this be a power supply problem?
Or maybe a dead processor ?? Any help would be appreciated.

bilbobaggins

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The fan should be independant of the CPU, so long as you plug it into the mobo. When you put the old CPU back in, is there a way to set all the CPU parameters to auto or default, then install the new CPU? Or, with the old CPU in, load the "default settings" on the mobo. Yeah, that'll erase all your user specified settings, but maybe it'll work. Other than that, try your new CPU in a friends mobo to see if it works.

What is the voltage listed on the cpu. If it is below 1.8 volts the motherboard will not boot. So post your default voltage on the chip and we can tell you which connectors to cover to make it boot.

I aint signing nothing!!!

G

Got the fan working. The color code was diferent from the old one. Still no post from the processor. Will have to find
someone with a board to check it out. My luck tho it is DEAD! Got it off e-bay so that tells a lot. Will probably
never get my $$$$$$$ Back....Thanks for help

G

Listed voltage is 1.65V.. You mean the is hope for me !!!
Thanks

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Only the last revisions of the P2B support the Coopermines.

You listed the bios as 1012, which is the last "supported" bios release (I have some betas available)

However, you need to look on the board at the board revision, not the bios revision. If you have board revision 1.12 or higher, it should support the voltage the coopermine needs. Earlier boards could not supply a low enough voltage.

The board revision is listed between the PCI slots

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

G

My mb is revision 1.02. Does that mean I am SOL. What
about jumper settings as Rick Criswell mentioned in his
post?

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, but there are no jumper settings for voltage on the P2B; only multiplier and FSB settings.

The only way to get a Coppermine to work on the older P2B's was to use a Slocket adapter that had a voltage regulator built on.

The older P2B's regulators could not supply a core voltage below 2.0V, CUmines use 1.7-1.85.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

The way to mahe your chip work would be to cover a couple connectors on the cpu to raise the voltage to 1.8 volts. Which is not a problem if you have good cooling. Then this processor will run in your system at 1.8 volts. Alittle window defogger repair and some clear tape is all that is needed.. Then you can change the voltage to whatever you choose. But your board needs 1.8 or 1.85 to boot. . I have a p3 700 running on a revision 1.04 board as i type. My wifes comp actually. But is was my first Asus overclocking board about 5 years ago. It is still arround. I have done many things to many chips on this board . Bun vever fried one. Even at 2.05 volts.

I aint signing nothing!!!

G

Would I be better off just to buy a new mb rather
than take a chance on frying the cpu or my whole
system. Is there an adapter available to reduce the
voltage. I am just trying to figure out the best
alternative....Thanks everyone