Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How Easy For A Newbie?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 28, 2005 12:34:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

I've never played a mmmorpg before, don't really fancy WoW, looks a bit
cartoony for my tastes, so thinking about giving DAOC a try, as the full
back (game + 3 expansions) can be had for around £18.

How easy is it to get into for a complete noob?

As this group seems very quiet any where else recommended for more
discussion or any beginners tips?
--
Sean Black

More about : easy newbie

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 28, 2005 3:20:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:34:38 +0100, Sean Black
<sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I've never played a mmmorpg before, don't really fancy WoW, looks a bit
>cartoony for my tastes, so thinking about giving DAOC a try, as the full
>back (game + 3 expansions) can be had for around £18.
>
>How easy is it to get into for a complete noob?
>
>As this group seems very quiet any where else recommended for more
>discussion or any beginners tips?

DAoC isn't the most newbie friendly but it has got a lot better
recently. It's far more rewarding though that the easier, shallower
games like WoW. Also the community is very mature and usually very
friendly and helpful. I wouldn't think you would have much trouble
picking it up.

One tip though. I take it you are in the UK as you quote the price in
Sterling? I would strongly advise you to avoid to avoid the European
DAoC. Euro DAoC is run under license by a French company called GOA
and not by Mythic themselves. There were two English language servers,
Prydwen and Excalibur, but these have recently merged due to low
player numbers. As a newbie you would struggle due to the fact that
all established players will be level 50 and the newbie areas will be
deserted. The European DAoC English language servers are doomed in my
opinion.

I am in the UK also, but I shelved my European accounts some time ago
and now I'm back playing on the US servers where I started. I would
strongly suggest that if you want to try DAoC download the fourteen
day free trial from Mythic and play on the US servers. The population
on the US servers are far higher than on the UK servers even during UK
peak times and Mythic have recently introduced "classic" servers which
are proving very popular and the newbie areas on these are teaming so
you will always find folks to play with and to help you out. There are
many other reasons why the Mythic run US servers are better. Aussies
and Kiwis play on the US servers as well as US and Canadian players so
many time zones are covered. Most Brits play on the US servers now as
well ;) .

If after running the fourteen day free trial you fancy staying in the
game then you can upgrade to Catacombs with it's excellent graphics
and faster advancement opportunities. You can pick up the US full pack
plus Catacombs just as cheaply as the UK version.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
if you do decide to play I'm on Gareth - Hibernia mainly and would be
happy to meet you online and help you get up and running. I've played
just about all the MMORPGs available at one time or another but I keep
coming back to DAoC. The Realm versus Realm is just so much fun.

BB
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 28, 2005 9:16:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
well placed blow, away@sea.com said...
>
> DAoC isn't the most newbie friendly but it has got a lot better
> recently. It's far more rewarding though that the easier, shallower
> games like WoW. Also the community is very mature and usually very
> friendly and helpful. I wouldn't think you would have much trouble
> picking it up.
>
> One tip though. I take it you are in the UK as you quote the price in
> Sterling? I would strongly advise you to avoid to avoid the European
> DAoC. Euro DAoC is run under license by a French company called GOA
> and not by Mythic themselves. There were two English language servers,
> Prydwen and Excalibur, but these have recently merged due to low
> player numbers. As a newbie you would struggle due to the fact that
> all established players will be level 50 and the newbie areas will be
> deserted. The European DAoC English language servers are doomed in my
> opinion.

There are two English language servers. They've not merged. They're not
going to merge.

At some point in the future the Realm vs Realm areas (and only the RvR
areas) of Excalibur and Prydwen will be clustered.

There seem to be plenty of sub-level 50 players when I play my non-50
alts, even sub-20.

I'm one of the twisted individuals that play all characters from level 1
:) 

> I am in the UK also, but I shelved my European accounts some time ago
> and now I'm back playing on the US servers where I started. I would
> strongly suggest that if you want to try DAoC download the fourteen
> day free trial from Mythic and play on the US servers. The population
> on the US servers are far higher than on the UK servers even during UK
> peak times and Mythic have recently introduced "classic" servers which
> are proving very popular

I initially played Euro servers, moved over to US servers and then went
back to the Euro ones.

Personally not too impressed with these "classic" servers. Seem to be
overrun with Warlocks :p 

> and the newbie areas on these are teaming so
> you will always find folks to play with and to help you out. There are
> many other reasons why the Mythic run US servers are better. Aussies
> and Kiwis play on the US servers as well as US and Canadian players so
> many time zones are covered. Most Brits play on the US servers now as
> well ;) .

most brits play eh? where did you get this information from?

> If after running the fourteen day free trial you fancy staying in the
> game then you can upgrade to Catacombs with it's excellent graphics
> and faster advancement opportunities. You can pick up the US full pack
> plus Catacombs just as cheaply as the UK version.
>
> Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
> if you do decide to play I'm on Gareth - Hibernia mainly and would be
> happy to meet you online and help you get up and running. I've played
> just about all the MMORPGs available at one time or another but I keep
> coming back to DAoC. The Realm versus Realm is just so much fun.
>
> BB
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 28, 2005 9:27:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
well placed blow, sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk said...
> I've never played a mmmorpg before, don't really fancy WoW, looks a bit
> cartoony for my tastes, so thinking about giving DAOC a try, as the full
> back (game + 3 expansions) can be had for around £18.
>
> How easy is it to get into for a complete noob?
>
> As this group seems very quiet any where else recommended for more
> discussion or any beginners tips?
>

Initially it was hard to get into but since the Catacombs expansion they
introduced newbie quests and a tutorial which help

For tips try the DAOC forums of http://www.freddyshouse.com/ and
http://daoc.catacombs.com/ and you can find handy info at
http://camelot.allakhazam.com/ too

btw don't write off European DAOC. Despite what the other chap said it's
far from dead :) 

--
[Covenant Of Zak, Albion, Excalibur, DAOC Europe]
[Ta Mo Bhriste Tri Thine, Hibernia, Prydwen, DAOC Europe]
[Bloody Uprising, Albion, Lancelot, DAOC Europe]
September 28, 2005 10:06:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Sean Black wrote:

> I've never played a mmmorpg before, don't really fancy WoW, looks a
> bit cartoony for my tastes, so thinking about giving DAOC a try, as
> the full back (game + 3 expansions) can be had for around £18.
>
> How easy is it to get into for a complete noob?
>
> As this group seems very quiet any where else recommended for more
> discussion or any beginners tips?

There are forums at http://camelotvault.ign.com/
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 29, 2005 2:02:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

In message <MPG.1da4d4c2dcbde21a9896f8@news.individual.net>, Mal Franks
<spampit@btinternet.com> writes
>Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
>said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
>well placed blow, sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk said...
>> I've never played a mmmorpg before, don't really fancy WoW, looks a bit
>> cartoony for my tastes, so thinking about giving DAOC a try, as the full
>> back (game + 3 expansions) can be had for around £18.
>>
>> How easy is it to get into for a complete noob?
>>
>> As this group seems very quiet any where else recommended for more
>> discussion or any beginners tips?
>>
>
>Initially it was hard to get into but since the Catacombs expansion they
>introduced newbie quests and a tutorial which help
>
>For tips try the DAOC forums of http://www.freddyshouse.com/ and
>http://daoc.catacombs.com/ and you can find handy info at
>http://camelot.allakhazam.com/ too
>
>btw don't write off European DAOC. Despite what the other chap said it's
>far from dead :) 
>
THanks everyone. Have now downloaded the demo, so I'll check out the
forums, fire up the demo and see how I get on from there.
--
Sean Black
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 29, 2005 2:02:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

> THanks everyone. Have now downloaded the demo, so I'll check out the
> forums, fire up the demo and see how I get on from there.

Best of luck...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 29, 2005 9:07:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:16:55 +0100, Mal Franks
<spampit@btinternet.com> wrote:

>
>There are two English language servers. They've not merged. They're not
>going to merge.
>
>At some point in the future the Realm vs Realm areas (and only the RvR
>areas) of Excalibur and Prydwen will be clustered.

I had read that Prydwen and Excalibur were being clustered but I admit
I didn't look into the fine detail as I'm now playing US almost
exclusively. It's still clustering though of the only two English
language servers, and that says something.

>There seem to be plenty of sub-level 50 players when I play my non-50
>alts, even sub-20.
>
>I'm one of the twisted individuals that play all characters from level 1
>:) 

Hehe, glad to see that you not a /level man :) . Best to learn a class
from 1, especially a class type you've not played before.

I'm purely basing my opinion on my own experience. I have two Euro
accounts with several level 50's. I reopen them from time to time to
see what's happening. In fact I reopened them a month or two ago for a
month and every time I logged the newbie areas were pretty empty. I
just call it as I see it.

Talking about twisted, I have a Valk! Not many of 'em about amongst
the Vamps and 'locks.

>> I am in the UK also, but I shelved my European accounts some time ago
>> and now I'm back playing on the US servers where I started. I would
>> strongly suggest that if you want to try DAoC download the fourteen
>> day free trial from Mythic and play on the US servers. The population
>> on the US servers are far higher than on the UK servers even during UK
>> peak times and Mythic have recently introduced "classic" servers which
>> are proving very popular
>
>I initially played Euro servers, moved over to US servers and then went
>back to the Euro ones.
>
>Personally not too impressed with these "classic" servers. Seem to be
>overrun with Warlocks :p 

Aye, that's for sure. Even worse than the Vamp plague. I best be quiet
though as I do have a 50 Vamp ;) . It'll settle down when the fotm goes
and the nerf bat comes out again.

The classic servers are though what most DAoC players wanted. The
numbers don't lie. It's also true that ToA is accepted by most as
Mythic's biggest mistake and it nearly broke the game. ToA caused a
huge amount of account cancellations and even Mythic now admit
(almost) it was a mistake.

>> and the newbie areas on these are teaming so
>> you will always find folks to play with and to help you out. There are
>> many other reasons why the Mythic run US servers are better. Aussies
>> and Kiwis play on the US servers as well as US and Canadian players so
>> many time zones are covered. Most Brits play on the US servers now as
>> well ;) .
>
>most brits play eh? where did you get this information from?
>

Obviously it's just *my* impression from playing on both US and Euro
servers :) .

Firstly I monitor the server pops for Excal and Pryd these days.
Secondly I have been playing DAoC since beta on the US servers and
since launch of the GOA Euro servers. I know a lot of DAoC players
from four years of play. Whole large long established guilds have gone
from the Euro servers, and they haven't gone to WoW ;) .

I now meet and play with very many folks, and ex-guildies, I knew from
the Euro servers on the US servers. There are entire guilds on the US
servers consisting of ex-Euro players, many of them large guilds with
very experienced players. Some are UK mainly others are mixed
Europeans, English speaking Scandinavians mostly.

I know how many Brits and Europeans I'm meeting and playing with on
the US servers and when the Euro guilds I mention have more folks
online during peak UK hours than Excalibur and Prydwen combined that
tells me something. Again this is just *my* impression, but it's a
pretty strong impression I'm getting.

I also freely admit the following:

I don't like GOA.
I have never liked GOA.
I experienced the infamous, seemingly endless, Excalibur debacles.
I experienced the Prydwen crashes/corruption.
I have experienced GOA's customer service compared with Mythic's.
I have experienced how far GOA lag behind with versions.
I have experienced for how long The Chronicles didn't work at all.
I have experienced how bad The Chronicles are compared to The Herald.

Err, did I say I don't like GOA?

BB.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 29, 2005 10:09:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:02:34 +0100, Sean Black
<sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <MPG.1da4d4c2dcbde21a9896f8@news.individual.net>, Mal Franks
><spampit@btinternet.com> writes
>>Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
>>said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
>>well placed blow, sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk said...
>>> I've never played a mmmorpg before, don't really fancy WoW, looks a bit
>>> cartoony for my tastes, so thinking about giving DAOC a try, as the full
>>> back (game + 3 expansions) can be had for around £18.
>>>
>>> How easy is it to get into for a complete noob?
>>>
>>> As this group seems very quiet any where else recommended for more
>>> discussion or any beginners tips?
>>>
>>
>>Initially it was hard to get into but since the Catacombs expansion they
>>introduced newbie quests and a tutorial which help
>>
>>For tips try the DAOC forums of http://www.freddyshouse.com/ and
>>http://daoc.catacombs.com/ and you can find handy info at
>>http://camelot.allakhazam.com/ too
>>
>>btw don't write off European DAOC. Despite what the other chap said it's
>>far from dead :) 
>>
>THanks everyone. Have now downloaded the demo, so I'll check out the
>forums, fire up the demo and see how I get on from there.

Hi Sean,

I've just noticed this:

http://catacombs.darkageofcamelot.com/downloads.php

It looks very much like you can upgrade your trial account to
Catacombs by digital download now. As a newbie you really will want
Catacombs as all the things that make DAoC far more newbie friendly
are part of Catacombs. Also I believe the 14 day trial just has the
old DAoC graphics which will look a bit dated now so don't let this
put you off as the Catacombs graphics are excellent.

There are also two smaller downloads you will want. One adds a newbie
tutorial walk through and the other upgrades the town graphics of the
old original zones towns. These weren't included in the boxed
Catacombs expansion but may be in the digital download version, I'm
not sure.

You should be able to find these files on Mythic's site.

BB.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 30, 2005 4:52:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

In message <hkaoj11foglp38c1h225cbencla424u8n2@4ax.com>, Barnacle Bill
<away@sea.com> writes
>On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:02:34 +0100, Sean Black
><sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <MPG.1da4d4c2dcbde21a9896f8@news.individual.net>, Mal Franks
>><spampit@btinternet.com> writes
>>>Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
>>>said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
>>>well placed blow, sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk said...
>>>> I've never played a mmmorpg before, don't really fancy WoW, looks a bit
>>>> cartoony for my tastes, so thinking about giving DAOC a try, as the full
>>>> back (game + 3 expansions) can be had for around £18.
>>>>
>>>> How easy is it to get into for a complete noob?
>>>>
>>>> As this group seems very quiet any where else recommended for more
>>>> discussion or any beginners tips?
>>>>
>>>
>>>Initially it was hard to get into but since the Catacombs expansion they
>>>introduced newbie quests and a tutorial which help
>>>
>>>For tips try the DAOC forums of http://www.freddyshouse.com/ and
>>>http://daoc.catacombs.com/ and you can find handy info at
>>>http://camelot.allakhazam.com/ too
>>>
>>>btw don't write off European DAOC. Despite what the other chap said it's
>>>far from dead :) 
>>>
>>THanks everyone. Have now downloaded the demo, so I'll check out the
>>forums, fire up the demo and see how I get on from there.
>
>Hi Sean,
>
>I've just noticed this:
>
>http://catacombs.darkageofcamelot.com/downloads.php
>
>It looks very much like you can upgrade your trial account to
>Catacombs by digital download now. As a newbie you really will want
>Catacombs as all the things that make DAoC far more newbie friendly
>are part of Catacombs. Also I believe the 14 day trial just has the
>old DAoC graphics which will look a bit dated now so don't let this
>put you off as the Catacombs graphics are excellent.
>
>There are also two smaller downloads you will want. One adds a newbie
>tutorial walk through and the other upgrades the town graphics of the
>old original zones towns. These weren't included in the boxed
>Catacombs expansion but may be in the digital download version, I'm
>not sure.
>
>You should be able to find these files on Mythic's site.
>
So far, so... well, I'm not sure to be honest.

Installed the trial, when I ran it, it wanted to download and install
some updates (I guess these are the ones you mentioned).

Created a quick character, didn't pay much attention to it, just wanted
to get up and running.

Starts off with a basic tutorial, so far so good. I complete the first
few instructions, then it wants me to go and help defend a tower, just
outside the main walls, off I go. Get to the tower, kill a few of the
guys, go to a guy with a yellow ring around his feet, right-click,
nothing.

Few minutes later, I worked out I hadn't left the castle by the door it
wanted me too.... OK! Put that right and off we go, continue with the
tutorial, get levelled up and then on with the game proper, it gives me
a couple of easy missions to start, go follow this creature and talk to
another guy, OK , not a problem.

Talk to the guy and he gives me a package to give to another guy by the
gates to Camelot. Off I go, except then I've forgotten the name of the
guy I'm supposed to give the package too. Can't find his name in the
journal, press the task button and it says I have no tasks at present.
So back to the other guy and get him to give me the instructions again.

Deliver the package and the guy tells me to go and see someone called
Farma Hornly, ask one of the guards for directions. By this time the
mouse is playing up, somehow I've got lost the cursor and moving the
mouse just steers my character and I can't see an option to change it
back, which is now making it a bit hit and miss when I want to select
anything. Oh, well, I'll persevere ask the guard where I can find Farma
Hornly, he points off in a direction behind me (blinked and I missed
it), so I ask him again paying more attention.

OK, off I go in search of the farmer, walking in the direction shown,
see a few creatures, walk a bit further, no sign of life (except the
aforementioned creatures) come to a river, swim across, see a small
settlement, ask one of the people where to find the farma, oh no, can't
do that, you can only ask a guard.

Eventually find a guard, never heard of Farma Hornly! So back I go to
the original guy that gave me the mission, get directions from a guard
stood next to him, discover I was heading the right way anyway, and try
again....

After 10 or 15 mins wondering around in various areas in the direction I
was pointed, I still can't locate the farma, so I gave up.

It's late, so I may give it another go tomorrow, but so far it's a bit
frustrating.

BTW, what happens when the trial finishes? I had to enter CC details
when I signed up, do I need to cancel before the 14 days (assuming I'm
not going to continue) or will I have to sign up again to continue?
--
Sean Black
!