buying a motherboard

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
This will probably seem like a stupid question, but...
How can I be sure that when I buy my motherboard that I'm getting what I want? Primarily, I'm concerned with getting OEM material, because I've never built a computer before, so I want the manual, and drivers, and (since i'm buying the Asus dualie board) the usb 2 pci card and everything else it comes with. I've been using Tom's Price Grabber for nearly everything I want to get, and I've been able to find out whether or not the stuff I'm getting is OEM or not for everything except the motherboard, which in my mind is the most important thing to be sure about. So, if anyone knows reputable places to buy motherboards not OEM, or good resources for finding those places, please let me know. Much thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Most places will have retail, it's rare to find OEM motherboards that aren't refurbs. You can always email or call and make sure.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go to www.newegg.com and see what you are getting. Each product has a "see it" link. The photograph the box, the motherboard from each angle showing all the connectors, the manuals, all the excessories. They are also honest about what they have in stock and keep you informed about the exact status of your order. Also they will tell you how much the shipping will be before you order. Their prices are not bad either. Even if I plan on buying elsewhere I usuallly go to newegg to see what I am getting. More often than not I am willing to buy it there even when they don't have the absolute best price.

Motherboards are about the only thing you should not get OEM. Motherboards are useless without a manual so usually you have to look really hard to find a OEM motherboard and then it should be clearly labeled as such.

Most motherboard also come with all the floppy and ide cables you need to build a system which is nice.

www.pricewatch.com is a good resource for finding the best prices.

Good luck

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
thanks for the advice. newegg was actually the first place I went and the only thing they had in stock was an oem of the mobo I wanted. Which was why I posted. I got worried because none of the other sites that had the board in stock specified oem or not. But I can always call. thanks again.

G

I havent yet seen a product without manual, but it could be good to know if there's ide connecters and such included. I would prolly look at the manufactors homepage, and then ask the shop.