Computer not responding... ideas?

GregSX

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Hey All,

Last night, during use, my computer just winked right out of existence. It just clicked off. Now, when I press the power button, nothing happens. No initial BIOS booting activity, nothing.

I figure the problem is either my power supply or my motherboard. There is still a small green light illuminated on my motherboard, so it's getting SOME power.(If it were my processor, I figure the BIOS would at least tell me I had a problem on powerup, right?)

Any ideas which component is causing the problem? I'd rather not buy replacements for one or the other until I know which is likely to have died.

It's a homebuilt system as follows:
MB: ASUS A7V133A
CPU: Athlon 1.2 GHz
256 MB PC133 SDRAM...

GregSX

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Ain't NOTHIN happening... no drive spinning, no fans, just the pathetic click of my finger on the power button.

It's been suggested to me that I reseat the RAM and CPU, just as a shot in the dark, so I'll try that...

but at this point I really don't know which component has failed...

GregSX

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Will do. Thanks for your reply.

Man I hope it works... otherwise I have NO idea how I'll know whether it's my mobo or CPU! I'll probly buy a new CPU first, just because it's so much easier to replace. :)

Just had a thought. If you can, swap in another PSU, just to test that. It's the easiest and cheapest part. It seems to be powering lights, but they don't ask for much.

Worth a look.

<b><font color=blue>~ Oh flower of Scotland...da da de de dum dum doo doo.~ </font color=blue></b>

Barry_Gibb

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
I had EXACTLY the same problem a few months ago, with the same ¢¦¤±@£ motherboard... I've tried everything possible, but with no luck... A few times, I got it to power on for a few minutes only, not more... I finally had to change it :O( I know it ain't the processor, since I tried to change it...

Although if I were you, I'd try switching with another power supply, or anything else that is likely to cause the problem! The warranty on my motherboard was still OK, and I got another one back for free, but after waiting about 2 months :O(

Hope I could help!

GregSX

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Well, I tried reseating my CPU and RAM, and it didn't do the trick. And since I don't have a bunch of spare parts to try out, I'm just gonna cough up the $25 and have my local computer joint diagnose it. Then I'll get the new CPU or mobo.

Thanks tons for all your suggestions bro.

Uncle_Astro

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
This may sound strange but it's worked for me quite a few times when having similar symptoms. Try physically isolating the mobo from the case and see if it then works. If the metalic screws holding the mobo are too tight they will short it to the chassis and you will have the symptoms that you are seeing. If it works out of the system find some small plastic or fiber washers and use them between the mounting screws and the board when you reinstall it.

"What's all this then???"

G

well I can't say whether it is the motherboard or not because I have not had any experience with this particular one........the ram being not seated will cause the puter to boot but with no video.......if I was going to say anything I would say it was the power supply for some reason...

TRENDING THREADS