Local LAN fails "Unable to join game."

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have two computers on a local LAN (desktop and laptop). They are both XP
Home. Neither has SP2 installed. Both have software firewalls (EZ Trust)
disabled. Both are plugged into ports on the switch side of a Linksys
WRT54G WiFi router w/v21 DD-WRT firmware. The computers see each other and
work fine sharing data between each other. Both computers play AOE2 and The
Conquerors in single-user mode without any problems.

My wife and I wanted to play AOE2-Conquerors, so we went and bought another
copy of AOE2 Gold.

NOTE: We are NOT trying to both play online with Zone. We want to play
against each other on the local LAN.

Both games are updated with the updates from MS, including the 1.0c update
for Conquerors.

I have seen several posts with similar problems, but no solutions. The
solutions I have seen all seem to focus on setting things up to play with
others outside the LAN, on the Internet, not resolving problems for local
game play.

I did find someone that posted a problem similar to mine, that got a
response that a ticket had been opened with Microsoft. But, that was in
2003. I guess it's too much to ask that they have this fixed by now.

It's pretty sad that even a cross-over cable connecting two machines has
problems playing multi-user.

So, does anyone have a solution to allow local LAN play of this game? Or
did I just waste money buying the second copy since LAN play doesn't work,
even though it is advertised as a feature of the game.

TIA,
Greg

Archived from groups: (More info?)

After some advice, I made sure that NWLink/IPX was installed on both
computers.

Still fails with the same error.

Anyone have any ideas here? Or is local LAN play just broken with these
games?

Does _anyone_ have local LAN working?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hey, Gregory.

I've had similar problems across several environments. One thing that I
usually try is using the Internet TCP/IP connection for DirectPlay.

I know, I know - you don't want to connect across the Internet.

Don't worry. Just because that's what Microsoft calls it doesn't mean that's
what it does.

You can use it purely on a LAN. Have one user create the game and the second
user select "show games" and enter in the IP address of the first.

You must either be on the same LAN or have routes to one another for this to
work properly.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

-Nathan

"Gregory Youngblood via GamesKB.com" wrote:

> After some advice, I made sure that NWLink/IPX was installed on both
> computers.
>
> Still fails with the same error.
>
> Anyone have any ideas here? Or is local LAN play just broken with these
> games?
>
> Does _anyone_ have local LAN working?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Yep, same problem here, and I can't find any answers on the net.

There was one Microsoft page that just said update directx... did nothing.
I just want to play AOE II over my lan people, little help you techno
whizzes you!

"Gregory Youngblood via GamesKB.com" wrote:

> I have two computers on a local LAN (desktop and laptop). They are both XP
> Home. Neither has SP2 installed. Both have software firewalls (EZ Trust)
> disabled. Both are plugged into ports on the switch side of a Linksys
> WRT54G WiFi router w/v21 DD-WRT firmware. The computers see each other and
> work fine sharing data between each other. Both computers play AOE2 and The
> Conquerors in single-user mode without any problems.
>
> My wife and I wanted to play AOE2-Conquerors, so we went and bought another
> copy of AOE2 Gold.
>
> NOTE: We are NOT trying to both play online with Zone. We want to play
> against each other on the local LAN.
>
> Both games are updated with the updates from MS, including the 1.0c update
> for Conquerors.
>
> I have seen several posts with similar problems, but no solutions. The
> solutions I have seen all seem to focus on setting things up to play with
> others outside the LAN, on the Internet, not resolving problems for local
> game play.
>
> I did find someone that posted a problem similar to mine, that got a
> response that a ticket had been opened with Microsoft. But, that was in
> 2003. I guess it's too much to ask that they have this fixed by now.
>
> It's pretty sad that even a cross-over cable connecting two machines has
> problems playing multi-user.
>
> So, does anyone have a solution to allow local LAN play of this game? Or
> did I just waste money buying the second copy since LAN play doesn't work,
> even though it is advertised as a feature of the game.
>
> TIA,
> Greg

joffi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Hi, I hope it wasn't too late.
I bought a WRT54GS and I have a lot of trouble with my children, cause I have the same problem ( WinXP SP2)
But I could solve the problen!
You must deaktivate the program Internetgateway!
You can unistall it. right click Network->properties->expented->optional Network->Netwokservices->Details->disable Internet Gateway device sarch and control-search.
I hope it was correct, cause a have a german version!
You can uninstall this programm on every pc.
Or you only deactivate or uninstall the service on the PC where you introduce the play!
Please excuse my terrible english!

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
have you tried enabling the tcp/ip settings? i play aoe2 aok at lans also and we have to do that whenever we setup a lan because our settings get messed up when we start up the network.

alex07

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Heya,
Never had any problem to connect two or three comp. with Win98 through TCP/IP . But puzzleing trying to connect WinXP SP2 with Win98 was without any success.
It was possible after installing/activating IPX/SPX protocol on both computers. After this I could play by choosing the protocol in the game - "IPX connection for Direct Play".
I hope it will works for you.
Success.

Alex

Dafaad

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Hey Greg did you ever get this figured out? Try using TCPIP (internet protocol0 on your lan game. First person sets up a game, it should show the IP address of the game. Second person joins TCPI game and types in the IP address of the host (the one you started the game on). You should then be able to see each other. If not, try a different protocol as listed by one below.

high school kid

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
alright here is a program you can use to set up LAN Games, every computer needs to have it installed and you have to create a room, then all the computers log into the room. For the IP that you use, use the one listed for that hosts computer in the Room.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hamachi/