change pentium 4 processors

I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.

one is at work one is at home.

is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
can put a graphics card in for gaming.

thanks

john
5 answers Last reply
More about change pentium processors

    It's very unlikely that you would notice any speed improvement, since the
    processor is only one of many components that determine how quickly your
    computer runs.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    <walgman@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.
    >
    > one is at work one is at home.
    >

    > is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
    > faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
    > can put a graphics card in for gaming.
    >

    > thanks
    >

    > john

    You might try the HP group as they'll be more knowledgeable. We'd need to
    know more details about chipset, process, bus speed, etc. to help you.

    <walgman@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.
    >
    > one is at work one is at home.
    >

    > is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
    > faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
    > can put a graphics card in for gaming.
    >

    > thanks
    >

    > john

    The answer is an unqualified maybe. Whether a Dell system or an HP system,
    being able to switch processors depends on the motherboard chipset and the speed
    of the memory installed in both systems... Ben Myers

    On 19 Sep 2005 10:40:49 -0700, walgman@gmail.com wrote:

    >I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.
    >
    >one is at work one is at home.
    >

    >is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
    >faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
    >can put a graphics card in for gaming.
    >

    >thanks
    >

    >john

    Not sure I'd go that far. I just swapped a P4-1.8 for a P4-2.66 and the
    difference was substantial. Of course, this was a machine that would
    automatically switch its bus speed from 400 to 533 and already had PC2700
    memory in it.

    Tom
    > It's very unlikely that you would notice any speed improvement, since the
    > processor is only one of many components that determine how quickly your
    > computer runs.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > <walgman@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.
    >>
    >> one is at work one is at home.
    >>

    >> is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
    >> faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
    >> can put a graphics card in for gaming.
    >>

    >> thanks
    >>

    >> john

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:58:48 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Ted Zieglar"
    <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >It's very unlikely that you would notice any speed improvement, since the
    >processor is only one of many components that determine how quickly your
    >computer runs.

    Depends on the relative speeds of the two CPUs being swapped. A couple of
    years ago I upgraded my (previous) Dell from a 1.7 GHz P4 to a 2.6 GHz P4,
    and the improvement was substantial.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Dell Pentium Hewlett Packard Processors Computers