change pentium 4 processors

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 2:40:49 PM

I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.

one is at work one is at home.

is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
can put a graphics card in for gaming.

thanks

john
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 5:58:48 PM

It's very unlikely that you would notice any speed improvement, since the
processor is only one of many components that determine how quickly your
computer runs.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

<walgman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.
>
> one is at work one is at home.
>

> is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
> faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
> can put a graphics card in for gaming.
>

> thanks
>

> john

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 10:21:00 PM

You might try the HP group as they'll be more knowledgeable. We'd need to
know more details about chipset, process, bus speed, etc. to help you.

<walgman@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.
>
> one is at work one is at home.
>

> is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
> faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
> can put a graphics card in for gaming.
>

> thanks
>

> john

a b α HP
September 20, 2005 1:45:11 AM

The answer is an unqualified maybe. Whether a Dell system or an HP system,
being able to switch processors depends on the motherboard chipset and the speed
of the memory installed in both systems... Ben Myers

On 19 Sep 2005 10:40:49 -0700, walgman@gmail.com wrote:

>I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.
>
>one is at work one is at home.
>

>is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
>faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
>can put a graphics card in for gaming.
>

>thanks
>

>john

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 20, 2005 2:36:51 AM

Not sure I'd go that far. I just swapped a P4-1.8 for a P4-2.66 and the
difference was substantial. Of course, this was a machine that would
automatically switch its bus speed from 400 to 533 and already had PC2700
memory in it.

Tom
> It's very unlikely that you would notice any speed improvement, since the
> processor is only one of many components that determine how quickly your
> computer runs.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> <walgman@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have 2 hp pentium4 pc's.
>>
>> one is at work one is at home.
>>

>> is it possible to swop just the processors over so my home one runs
>> faster. i would swop machines but the slower (home) one has an AGP so i
>> can put a graphics card in for gaming.
>>

>> thanks
>>

>> john

September 20, 2005 4:02:32 AM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:58:48 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Ted Zieglar"
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>It's very unlikely that you would notice any speed improvement, since the
>processor is only one of many components that determine how quickly your
>computer runs.

Depends on the relative speeds of the two CPUs being swapped. A couple of
years ago I upgraded my (previous) Dell from a 1.7 GHz P4 to a 2.6 GHz P4,
and the improvement was substantial.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
!