Recommendations for wireless home network?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi

I've been researching this whole wireless network malarky for some time but
I'm still not sure what i want!

Bascially, we have ADSL from Pipex and we're looking to share it - 3
computers run Windows XP Pro SP2, and a low speic (P233 MMX) latop runs
Windows 98.

We have a modem - but it's an Alcatel USB Speedtouch (the 'frog') which has
not Ethernet port so a new modem is required.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting an 802.11g router/modem/firewall
combo, and some PCI cards and a PCMCIA card. I'm not sure if the PCI cards
have any advantage or disadvangage over USB adaptors, although I will need
to buy some USB2 PCI cards if I were to buy those.

What do people recommend? Are there any unmissable deals going around at the
mo? I know a few companies are offering a free PCMCIA card but that's about
is. Also, is it worth looking at the Super G/108Mbps cards? Can any of the
54Mbps products be upgraded for free to 108Mbps?

Thanks in advance!

D (UK)

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:12:41 +0100, "User" <no@thanks.com> wrote:

>I've been researching this whole wireless network malarky for some time but
>I'm still not sure what i want!

Malarky my posterior. Surely you could do better than insult the
industry that you're about to enrich.

>Bascially, we have ADSL from Pipex and we're looking to share it - 3
>computers run Windows XP Pro SP2, and a low speic (P233 MMX) latop runs
>Windows 98.

Incidentally, the Pipex Terms of Service specificially prohibit more
than one computah:
http://www.pipex.net/legal/terms-conditions/dial/
See section 4.10 which mutters:

4.10 only access the Service (or permit the Service to be accessed):
4.10.1 by a single user from a single or multiple machines; or
4.10.2 by multiple users from a single machine;
4.10.3 BUT NOT by multiple users accessing the Service simultaneously
with the same log-in.

However, I wouldn't worry about it as I won't turn you in (unless they
offer a reward or unless you fail to retract your "malarky"
statement).

>We have a modem - but it's an Alcatel USB Speedtouch (the 'frog') which has
>not Ethernet port so a new modem is required.

That has to be the ugliest USB DSL modem ever misconcieved.
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/produsb.htm
I bought one for $3 just to show customers (and then sell them
something less disgusting). The problem is that there is only one
router available capeable of supporting a USB DSL modem, and it only
works with their proprietary USB DSL modem. Not a great idea.
Therefore, you will need to dump your ugly USB DSL modem and purchase
an ADSL DMT ethernet modem/bridge. I suggest eBay, which usually has
Efficient 5260, 5360 DSL modems for $35-$50.

>At the moment I'm thinking of getting an 802.11g router/modem/firewall
>combo, and some PCI cards and a PCMCIA card. I'm not sure if the PCI cards
>have any advantage or disadvangage over USB adaptors, although I will need
>to buy some USB2 PCI cards if I were to buy those.

PCMCIA and USB work well with laptops. In general, PMCIA has better
range because of larger antenna size.

I would NOT recommend a PCI card for the destktop as they have a
common problem. The antenna usually ends up in the worst possible
location, buried behind a metal box shield, wedged up against the
wall, and under a desk with many obstacles to RF line of sight. You
can attach an external antenna to the PCI card, but that introduces
loss. You're choices are either an ethernet wireless bridge (also
known as a game adapter) such as a Linksys WET11, Netgear ME101, or
DLink DWL-810. These are a bit expensive. A USB radio will also work
and is cheaper.

>What do people recommend? Are there any unmissable deals going around at the
>mo? I know a few companies are offering a free PCMCIA card but that's about
>is. Also, is it worth looking at the Super G/108Mbps cards? Can any of the
>54Mbps products be upgraded for free to 108Mbps?

The 54/108Mbps is science fiction. You'll get better performance from
802.11g radios if and only if there are no 802.11b radios in sight.
802.11g will slow down to 802.11g rates if they hear any 802.11b
packets. You'll get about 20-25Mbits/sec at about 5ft range with a
pure 802.11g setup.

Now, about that retraction...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:22:17 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>Incidentally, the Pipex Terms of Service specificially prohibit more
>than one computah:
> http://www.pipex.net/legal/terms-conditions/dial/
>See section 4.10 which mutters:

Oops. That was the dialup terms, not the DSL:
http://www.pipex.net/legal/terms-conditions/xtreme/
Nothing mentioned disallowing sharing. Ignore what I said.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

>> In general, PMCIA has better range because of larger antenna size.

Sure you didn't state that backwards?

In my experience PCMCIA has worse range because of inability to position the
antenna for best reception. And the USB devices tend to have real antennas
rather than an antenna on a circuit board.

Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

---

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:54:30 -0500, "Bob Alston" <bobalston AT aol
DOT com> wrote:

>>> In general, PMCIA has better range because of larger antenna size.

>Sure you didn't state that backwards?

With RF, I'm never sure of anything. Most PCMCIA cards have a
diversity antenna system which allows them to fill in holes in their
coverage pattern. USB radios have even smaller antennas than PCMCIA.
At the bottom of the line, both use circuit board antennas. However,
you're correct that a USB radio can be more easily positioned for
optimum coverage, so I guess it would have somewhat better range. I
wouldn't call it more convenient as I hate dangling cords.

>In my experience PCMCIA has worse range because of inability to position the
>antenna for best reception. And the USB devices tend to have real antennas
>rather than an antenna on a circuit board.

My experience in comparing an Orinoco Silver with a variety of other
cards including USB shows the Orinoco to be generally superior.
However, I did conduct the test with the USB and PCMCIA radios at
table level and in similar "normal" positions. If I had attached the
USB radio to the top of the laptop, the range would have been better
and possibly superior. I'll try again next chance I get.

Here's the inside of a DLink DWL-122 USB radio.
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/pics/wireless/DWL-122/index.html
It's a PIFA (patched inverse F antenna). To Dlink's credit, it
appears to be on polysulfone instead of G10 material. I would not
call this a particularly huge antenna. Now, compare the size and
construction to an Orinoco card.
http://www.geocities.com/lincomatic/orinocoant.html
My photos of the inside of a WPC11 card are temporarily offline
(thanks to a server move).

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:55:31 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless , Jeff
Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>>Sure you didn't state that backwards?
>
>With RF, I'm never sure of anything. Most PCMCIA cards have a
>diversity antenna system which allows them to fill in holes in their
>coverage pattern. USB radios have even smaller antennas than PCMCIA.

?????
The USB device I use (belkin) has two moveable antennae on either side of
the housing, which is on the end of a 1 meter long cable., This is ideal as
you can move the unit to a good strong signal, and then twiddle the
antennae too, while leaving the laptop or desktop where it was.

--
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:24:49 +0100, Mark McIntyre
<markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

>The USB device I use (belkin) has two moveable antennae on either side of
>the housing, which is on the end of a 1 meter long cable., This is ideal as
>you can move the unit to a good strong signal, and then twiddle the
>antennae too, while leaving the laptop or desktop where it was.

That sounds like a much better antenna (dipole?) system. However, I
couldn't find such a beast on the Belkin web pile. All I found are
the smaller USB devices with the sub-mini PIFA internal antenna.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=180061
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179211

User wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been researching this whole wireless network malarky for some time but
> I'm still not sure what i want!
>
> Bascially, we have ADSL from Pipex and we're looking to share it - 3
> computers run Windows XP Pro SP2, and a low speic (P233 MMX) latop runs
> Windows 98.
>
> We have a modem - but it's an Alcatel USB Speedtouch (the 'frog') which has
> not Ethernet port so a new modem is required.
>
> At the moment I'm thinking of getting an 802.11g router/modem/firewall
> combo, and some PCI cards and a PCMCIA card. I'm not sure if the PCI cards
> have any advantage or disadvangage over USB adaptors, although I will need
> to buy some USB2 PCI cards if I were to buy those.
>
> What do people recommend? Are there any unmissable deals going around at the
> mo? I know a few companies are offering a free PCMCIA card but that's about
> is. Also, is it worth looking at the Super G/108Mbps cards? Can any of the
> 54Mbps products be upgraded for free to 108Mbps?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> D (UK)

I personally use D-link Super G router(DI-624) and pcmcia card
(DWL-G650). They work for me. As far as upgrading to super G on a G
router. No it is the chipset that makes it a super G.

As far as the PCI v. USB I would go USB just for the fact I am lazy and
hate opening my case :p That and with USB you can adjust it to get the
best signal. Kinda hard to do that with a PCI card.

Side note D-link does not support Win 98 First ED. Only Second Ed on up.

Good Luck on your quest.

Koho

one point is to get a matching set (s) of the same brand name of
Router and receiver.

If you have setup problems this way tech support cannot sluff you off
and refer
you to other company saying that its their problem.
have noticed advantages in terms of speed with matched products.
has anyone else found this or was I just imaging it ?
was a Linkys and a Linkys as opposed to the Linksys PCI card with a
D-Link equivalent b router.
Koho <coffeekid007@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<4L1Nc.555$OJ3.332@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> User wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've been researching this whole wireless network malarky for some time but
> > I'm still not sure what i want!
> >
> > Bascially, we have ADSL from Pipex and we're looking to share it - 3
> > computers run Windows XP Pro SP2, and a low speic (P233 MMX) latop runs
> > Windows 98.
> >
> > We have a modem - but it's an Alcatel USB Speedtouch (the 'frog') which has
> > not Ethernet port so a new modem is required.
> >
> > At the moment I'm thinking of getting an 802.11g router/modem/firewall
> > combo, and some PCI cards and a PCMCIA card. I'm not sure if the PCI cards
> > have any advantage or disadvangage over USB adaptors, although I will need
> > to buy some USB2 PCI cards if I were to buy those.
> >
> > What do people recommend? Are there any unmissable deals going around at the
> > mo? I know a few companies are offering a free PCMCIA card but that's about
> > is. Also, is it worth looking at the Super G/108Mbps cards? Can any of the
> > 54Mbps products be upgraded for free to 108Mbps?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > D (UK)
> >

> I personally use D-link Super G router(DI-624) and pcmcia card
> (DWL-G650). They work for me. As far as upgrading to super G on a G
> router. No it is the chipset that makes it a super G.
>
> As far as the PCI v. USB I would go USB just for the fact I am lazy and
> hate opening my case :p That and with USB you can adjust it to get the
> best signal. Kinda hard to do that with a PCI card.
>
> Side note D-link does not support Win 98 First ED. Only Second Ed on up.
>
> Good Luck on your quest.
>
> Koho

TRENDING THREADS