What am I doing wrong, or is there anything I can check?

I've tried opening the ports on Router that a website advised
I've tried disabling Norton Internet Security
I have both ticks on, regarding Invitations, etc (My
Computer/Properties/Remote)
I've got the latest version of MSN Messenger (and my friend does too, V7.0
Build 7.0.816)

It just sits there, with either.."Connecting..." or "Waiting..." depending
on who instigates it..

Can anybody help us please?
Regards.
Paul.

Orange

Your story sounds like mine. I discovered that UPnP was disabled on my
Linksys router. When I enabled UPnP, it worked. I had opened all sorts of
ports, disabled my antivirus, etc. I went back and closed those ports,
reenabled my antivirus, etc. and Whiteboard still works in MSN.

I also operate with the Windows Firewall on. That requires someone with an
Administrator account to enable 2 exceptions, viz. RFC sharing and Windows
NetMeeting. When you attempt to run Whiteboard it will tell you that those
exceptions need to be allowed. The simple thing to do is to run Messenger
from an Administrator's account when you are setting it up. If you are not
using the Windows Firewall, then this paragraph is irrelevant.

Hope this works for you.