_zaphod_

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2002
Hi :) can you tell me what the difference between OEM and BOXED RETAIL on computer parts is? which is better? or doesnt it matter...

also, what is RAID.. i want to get the A7V333 motehrboard, but i dont know if i hsould get it with RAID or wtihout it. (it will use XP 2100+ processor)

thanks!

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
OEM = Origonal Equipment Manufacturer

It is product that comes with only drivers (if that) no software generally. And has (usally) less warrenty. In some cases OEM's are lower quality or have less features, but this is rare.

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Devices (or Disks, can't remember)

Works also as extra IDE channels too! Made to be used for Stripping, Mirroring, and other functions between hard drives.
Stripping is two hard drives used together simotaneoiusly (20GB + 20GB = 20GB fast) to make then run faster.
Mirroring is two hard drives used together simotaneoiusly (20GB + 20GB = 20GB redundant) to make a constant backup of your drive

If you need these features by all means get RAID.

Hope this helps.

-<font color=green>"<i>Tis not a <b>man</b>, tis a <b>monster</b>!</i>"</font color=green>

_zaphod_

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2002
Thanks!

so if i got an OEM AMD XP 2100+ , do you think that would be of lesser quality?

also, what would be the advantage or RAID with only 1 harddrive (80GB is what im getting). do i need a special harddrive? or will an IDE harddrive wrok with a RAID controller?

1 more thing. with the A7V333 motherboard, can i use EIDE devices or only IDE. thanks again :)

FatBurger

Illustrious
Striping keeps all the space, so 2 20GB drives would be 40GB. Mirroring writes everything twice, so 2 20GB drives would only be 20GB total. There are lots of explanations of RAID in the hard drives forum, head there if you want more detail.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Striping does keep the full amount? Thanks.

All IDE controllers are EIDE now.

There wont be any problem with the OEM Athlon. The only issue on that would be limited warrenty, and the fan wont be retail (also important on AMD warrentys).

For my machines I only use retail CPU's, to prevent the company from saying, "The CPU was fine, but your fan killed it, no RMA." And because the retail AMD fan is by far the quietest AMD fan I've ever heard.

-<font color=green>"<i>Tis not a <b>man</b>, tis a <b>monster</b>!</i>"</font color=green>

IDE will work with RAID.

You'll need two drives minimum for a RAID array.

EIDE & IDE are the same as far as you're concerned.

There would be no quality differences with the OEM CPU. You just don't get it in a nice box with a heatsink & fan. You'll have to go and source the fan seperately. The retail comes with the fan. You can go either way, but one way will usually be cheaper.

<b><font color=blue>~ Oh flower of Scotland...da da de de dum dum doo doo.~ </font color=blue></b>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
But once you pay for a fan for the OEM the price difference is usually very small. Also Retail gives you a warranty and a hsf that is approved by AMD so you dont have to research =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

G

RAID is basically a way of hooking up two or three hard drives together and making them act as one.......this helps as far as if your machine crashes and you need backup.....you can just swap out one drive and the other two will automatically write back to the first one.....I hear that there is some advantage to gaming but it is not much........you don't want to go there unless you have the money......

IDE was phased out long ago......today when people talk about IDE they really mean EIDE...........everything you will buy today will be EIDE...........

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get everything except the motherboard OEM if its cheaper and avaliable.

For about $11 you can get a heatsink and fan (Thermaltakes Volcano 6) AMD approved for a XP2100 CPU. If you need a better fan (overclocking) then the retail fan would also be inadequate.

A warante on a CPU is worthless, they alway assume the CPU is damaged by end user abuse (physically damaged or overheated) and will not send you a replacement.