Installation Trouble

Last response: in Video Games
September 7, 2005 9:06:10 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Can anyone help? I put the disc in the drive, it "autoruns"...I select
"install", and then it says "an installation file failed to instal -
catastrophic failure".

Is there anything I can do? i don't want to have to wipe my HD just to
play a game, but i would love to play this game.

thanks

More about : installation trouble

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:19:10 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Bob Lemmon" <boblemmon@charter.net> wrote in news:9DITe.39$O52.17
@fe06.lga:

> Can anyone help? I put the disc in the drive, it "autoruns"...I select
> "install", and then it says "an installation file failed to instal -
> catastrophic failure".

That generally means there's a problem with the CD, not the HD. As Lorian
says, check for smudges and fingerprints. In the distant past I've had that
with a game because the IDE DMA of the mobo was marginal, and upgrading the
mobo driver and BIOS fixed it.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:30:19 AM

"Bob Lemmon" <boblemmon@charter.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone help? I put the disc in the drive, it "autoruns"...I select
> "install", and then it says "an installation file failed to instal -
> catastrophic failure".

Is the CD clean and scratch free?

L.
September 8, 2005 5:26:04 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:06:10 -0400, "Bob Lemmon"
<boblemmon@charter.net> wrote:

>Can anyone help? I put the disc in the drive, it "autoruns"...I select
>"install", and then it says "an installation file failed to instal -
>catastrophic failure".
>
>Is there anything I can do? i don't want to have to wipe my HD just to
>play a game, but i would love to play this game.
>
>thanks

////////////////////////////
Perhaps a manual install?
http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/endus...

Answer ID
17754
Products
Battlefield 2
Category
Technical Support
Crashes / Errors / Lockups
Installation / Download

How do you manually install the game if a normal installation
does not work?
Answer

Be sure that you have completed proper troubleshooting before
attempting a manual installation of the game. Typically
conflicts with the installation can be remedied by preparing your
system for the process. The following steps should help to clear
any conflicts that can cause the installation to fail.

1.
End background tasks before installing to close any
programs that may conflict as well as free up computer resources.
*
Click here for steps on ending background tasks.
2.
CD/DVD-ROM troubleshooting steps will help to avoid read
conflicts.
*
Click here for CD/DVD-ROM troubleshooting steps.
3.
Installation troubleshooting steps should prevent conflicts
with the installation program itself.
*
Click here for installation troubleshooting steps.

If none of the above steps have resolved your issue, you may
perform a manual installation of the game to bypass use of the
disk drive and verify integrity of the disks.

Make sure to follow the steps below exactly as they read, or else
the install may not work.

1.
Double-click My Computer.
2.
Right-click on the Local Disk C and choose Open.
3.
Right-click inside the window and select New, and then
Folder.
4.
Name the folder Disk Images it is important that the name
has a space in it.
5.
Double-Click the new Disk Images folder to open it.
6.
Right-click inside the window and select New, and then
Folder.
7.
Name this folder Disk1.
8.
Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting Disk1 for Disk2 and
Disk 3. It is important to note there must not be a space
between "Disk" and the number. If you have the DVD version you
will only need the Disk1 folder.
9.
Insert Disk 1 of Battlefield 2 into your disk drive and if
the autoplay starts, cancel it.
10.
Double-click My Computer to open it.
11.
Right-click on your disk drive and choose Open.
12.
When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click
on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.
13.
All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted,
click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.
14.
Open the Disk1 folder you created under C:\Disk Images;
click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This
will copy the contents of the disk into the Disk1 folder.
15.
Repeat steps 9 through 14 for Disk 2 and Disk 3 until you
have copied each disk into its appropriate folder. If you have
the DVD version, you will not need to perform this step.
16.
Once the disks have been copied, remove ALL disks from any
drives.
17.
Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on
autorun.exe to start the installation.
18.
To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders
after the installation has completed.

If you receive an error whilst copying the files this means the
disk is either damaged or defective. If the disk is clean with
no visible scratches/damage, you should exchange your copy for a
new one through the store of purchase or our Warranty
Department.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 11:18:16 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Yes, i tried the manual install, but still no joy. It always errors out
immediately after starting the installshield, saying "catastrophic failure".

i guess i could go buy another copy, but the disc LOOKS okay....

thanks, though
<number5ive@no.no.na.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> 15.
> Repeat steps 9 through 14 for Disk 2 and Disk 3 until you
> have copied each disk into its appropriate folder. If you have
> the DVD version, you will not need to perform this step.
> 16.
> Once the disks have been copied, remove ALL disks from any
> drives.
> 17.
> Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on
> autorun.exe to start the installation.
> 18.
> To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders
> after the installation has completed.
>
> If you receive an error whilst copying the files this means the
> disk is either damaged or defective. If the disk is clean with
> no visible scratches/damage, you should exchange your copy for a
> new one through the store of purchase or our Warranty

January 20, 2006 1:52:04 AM

I received the same failure code when I installed battlefield 2. I had two sets of discs and they had become mixed up. The two sets of discs were of different versions and failed to load after the first disc. After trial and error I found the matched sets.
February 17, 2007 2:55:10 AM

I'm not getting the same problem as these guys, but when i try to manual install it asks me to insert disk 1. Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it?
!