Asus P4S333 design flaw

I have seen many unusual motherboard layouts (e.g. Intel's Seattle boards waste an expansion slot due to AGP placement) but I have never seen one where the manufacturer didn't understand the implications of slot placement. The owner's manual for the Asus P4S333 clearly states that the sixth PCI slot is unusable if the ACR slot is filled. The page includes a picture of a typical ACR modem/NIC combo card. This is not only untrue, but misleading.

The ATX 2.01 standard clearly defines the number of slots:

"3.3.1 Expansion slots
The ATX form-factor supports up to seven expansion slots. These slots may be any combination of ISA, PCI, or
shared ISA/PCI. Figure 3 shows a typical combination of the three ISA slots, three PCI slots, and one shared
ISA/PCI slot. The location of pin 1 is defined for each of the connectors. If a combination other than that shown in
Figure 3 is desired, motherboard designers should extrapolate the location of pin one on each of the connectors. The
slot spacing must remain constant. To allow all add-in cards to be full length, it is recommended that the height of
any board component located to the left of the right edge of the seventh slot (plus clearance for the board
components) be less than 0.6 inches (15.2mm). For more details on component height constraints, see section 3.4.
For extra support during add-in card insertion, it is suggested that mechanical support be implemented under
expansion slots through use of a device such as a bumper."

However, the ACR slot on the P4S333 occupies what would be an eighth expansion slot. I defy you to find a case manufacturer that retails a chassis with an eighth external slot access. The only way the ACR slot is usable is to remove the ACR card's screw mount, insert the needed RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors into the card's ports and then insert the card into the ACR slot. The ACR card is thus supported only by the ACR slot connector and the ability to disconnect/reconnect phone or ethernet cables is impossible without opening the case.

At first I thought my ACR card was non-standard. But the picture in their owner's manual clearly shows a picture of EXACTLY the same card I purchased.

This customer is very dissatisfied. I waited for some time before being sure that ASUS was the best DDR333/SiS645 motherboard. It was the ACR slot that pushed me into the decision to buy.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by troberts on 04/18/02 07:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
3 answers Last reply
More about asus p4s333 design flaw
  1. so...you're not buying the asus board because of one acr slot...
    at least you kinda thought it through...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
  2. Did you really save anything by getting that crappy ACR card? Get a PCI and be done with it!!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
  3. lol, ACR=garbage on any motherboard. Who needs ACR anyway? Get PCI man!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards