Mic not working in BF2

Archived from groups: (More info?)

This is a very weird problem.

My MIC works, I've used it many times connecting to my own Ventrilo server and
everything is fine. However, I go into my Audio settings in BF2 and verify that
everything is working, and can hear my own voice fine in the Mic Test in BF2. As soon as
I start single player or multiplayer, my MIC goes dead and looking at it in the Audio
menu shows it all grayed out.

I have a dual monitor display so I have my Volume Controls property panel on the 2nd
display, and sure enough, it shows the Mute button checked off under the Microphone
section. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?@!

Has anyone else seen this?

Is there some config file that is getting called once I run single or multiplayer? That
would make the most sense as I know there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I also
cannot hear others in game and there is no speaker Icon next to my name when I join a
squad or am commander.

Joe

"ace72ace" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> This is a very weird problem.
>
> My MIC works, I've used it many times connecting to my own Ventrilo server
and
> everything is fine. However, I go into my Audio settings in BF2 and verify
that
> everything is working, and can hear my own voice fine in the Mic Test in
BF2. As soon as
> I start single player or multiplayer, my MIC goes dead and looking at it
in the Audio
> menu shows it all grayed out.
>
> I have a dual monitor display so I have my Volume Controls property panel
on the 2nd
> display, and sure enough, it shows the Mute button checked off under the
Microphone
> section. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?@!
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Is there some config file that is getting called once I run single or
multiplayer? That
> would make the most sense as I know there is nothing wrong with the
hardware. I also
> cannot hear others in game and there is no speaker Icon next to my name
when I join a
> squad or am commander.

I had this when reinstalling a new PC. BF2 uses the default device (notice
there's no option for which mic you want).

So, offskies to the control panel and make the one you want default.

Joe

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: (More info?)

Are you using the motherboard sound? I had the same problem and fixed it by
installing a Soundblaster 5.1 card from another computer.
I tried all settings beforehand and installing the card was the only thing
that fixed it.
Bryan

Bryan wrote:
> Are you using the motherboard sound? I had the same problem and fixed it by
> installing a Soundblaster 5.1 card from another computer.
> I tried all settings beforehand and installing the card was the only thing
> that fixed it.
> Bryan
>

> "ace72ace" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>This is a very weird problem.
>>
>>My MIC works, I've used it many times connecting to my own Ventrilo server
>>and everything is fine. However, I go into my Audio settings in BF2 and
>>verify that everything is working, and can hear my own voice fine in the
>>Mic Test in BF2. As soon as I start single player or multiplayer, my MIC
>>goes dead and looking at it in the Audio menu shows it all grayed out.
>>
>>I have a dual monitor display so I have my Volume Controls property panel
>>on the 2nd display, and sure enough, it shows the Mute button checked off
>>under the Microphone section. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?@!
>>
>>Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>>Is there some config file that is getting called once I run single or
>>multiplayer? That would make the most sense as I know there is nothing
>>wrong with the hardware. I also cannot hear others in game and there is no
>>speaker Icon next to my name when I join a squad or am commander.

Yes, I am using the onboard sound on my Abit AI-7 board. I also have a hercules gtxp
sound card installed and was using the USB connections from the audio rack that sits on
my desk. I will experiment by disabling the GTXP and see what happens. Could be an
excuse for me to finally get a creative EAX card.

Thanks.

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Yes, I am using the onboard sound on my Abit AI-7 board. I also have a
> hercules gtxp sound card installed and was using the USB connections from
> the audio rack that sits on my desk. I will experiment by disabling the
> GTXP and see what happens. Could be an excuse for me to finally get a
> creative EAX card.
>
> Thanks.

Im using an ABIT IS-7 something or rather here so it must just a conflict
with BF2 and the MB.
You don't need an expensive sound card, the 5.1 costs about $50 AUS so a
cheapie should suffice...

Bryan

Bryan wrote:
>>Yes, I am using the onboard sound on my Abit AI-7 board. I also have a
>>hercules gtxp sound card installed and was using the USB connections from
>>the audio rack that sits on my desk. I will experiment by disabling the
>>GTXP and see what happens. Could be an excuse for me to finally get a
>>creative EAX card.
>>
>>Thanks.
>

> Im using an ABIT IS-7 something or rather here so it must just a conflict
> with BF2 and the MB.
> You don't need an expensive sound card, the 5.1 costs about $50 AUS so a
> cheapie should suffice...
>
> Bryan

Disabling the GTXP almost works... I still get the mute selected when click on a server
to join in the multiplayer screen, but then hopping out of the game and deselecting it
will get me further along than before. I can join a squad, see the speaker icon next to
my name, and also see green icon in my display when I push the push to talk button on my
mouse. But I can't hear anyone, nobody can hear me, and I go back and check and my
speaker icon is missing from the squad screen.

I build machines all the time so I'm familiar with hardware and pricing of components.
While onboard sound can be a cheaper alternative than dedicated cards, sometimes you end
up having 'issues', as we see in this case.

I would normally have tried to just use the gtxp card, but the audio rack connections
and hercules drivers have also been a pain in the arse. Why do I have a feeling I'm
finally going to get it working and then discover that I don't want to use this feature
because there's nothing worth hearing/saying in game? >:^P

Rbp7Ooz

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Just to add info where I can... I'm Running a Intel 3.4mhz, 1 gb, 256PCIe, and an SB Audigy 2 Zs.

I've noticed the same thing happening. I too run a Ventrilo server and for all my other games I have not had any problems.

I just recently started playing BF2 again and noticed that Frist logon and in around things are fine... but if I ALT TAB out (gawd BF2 hates that!) or finish a round and start anew one, my MIC cuts out as well.

And then I'm forced to ALT TAB out and sure enough... in volume controls the checkmark is back. I made sure it was unchecked before I went in!

Crazyness.

mattimoos

yes the exact same thing is happening to me except im playing counter strike source, i enable mic in volume control when i open game and connect to a server it automatically switches itself off. REALLY ANNOYING!!! if anyone has resolved this please add my msn mattimoos@hotmail.com