Is my motherboard dead?

G

Heres my story, I built my rig about 2 months ago. I had a few problems but eventually sorted them out. Then last week I started to get random freezeups about every 10-30 minutes. Then one day I had to pull the plug on the pc because not even holding the power button in would turn it off. Then It wouldn't power up at all, not even a spinning fan. I cleared the cmos with the jumpers and it fixed it for about 15 minutes then another freezeup. When I rebooted after the freeze up I was stuck in 4 bit color and 640 x 480 resolution and that was my only options. I couldnt change it. And it wouldnt connect to the internet. I uninstalled my video card and when I was reinstalling the driver another freeze up. Now when I power up the computer I get spinning fans and I can hear the hard drive turn but nothing else. No beeps and nothing on the monitor. Anyone have any ideas? I tried the normal things already.

I am running ECS k7s5a, pny gf3 ti 200, audigy xgamer, onboard lan, 340 watt enlight psu, WD 80 gig hard drive, tv wonder card, hp cd burner, athlon xp 1700+, 512 meg centron ddr ram.

Luckily Ive never had to RMA anything before, If I do have to RMA this do I send it to newegg or ECS? I bought it on Jan 31st.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
is there anyway you can swap out the pwr supply? id try a 400wt, althought i think 340 should be sufficient. if you still have problems, maybe a heat issue?

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
That power supply is perfect for his system, i have alot more running on a 300W Enlight!! Id check the supply anyway as there may be a problem with it (although rare, I have only seen one bad Enlight outta hundreds)or the RAM. I know that board is nice, fast, and cheap, but it is picky about good RAM. I have not had experience with Centron RAM.

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

G

The power suppply is good. I used it on my other pc and it powered it up fine. When I turn my pc on the fans spin and I can hear the hard drive but nothing else. Any other suggestions?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, like kief said, ram would be the next/easiest to check. i mentioned heat b/c you said the system started acting strange after 10+ minutes. does that board have heat protection enabled in bios? soooooo, i think if your ram is good, the mobo has problems. just a guess though.

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....