no fixed disk present

G

i am putting together a new pc, when i go to use fdisk on the new harddrive i get this no fixed disk present , i tried switching the hard drive cables around but i still get the same thing.in the bios i get the drive to show.but sometimes when i shut down and restart it,it wont find the drive.. its a 60gw wd and a abit kr7a motherboard.
anyone please help..i am lost..
thanks..

JP..

coopns

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
I got this same message with an older hard drive, turned out to be a bad hard drive after some research. I tried what you did, swapping IDE cables and new hard drives to eventually figure it out. You could also try to find a Promise controller card that fits to a PCI slot, possible that the IDE channel is bad.

Coop

G

woohoo!! i got it,all i had to do was remove the jumper from the hard drive,i had the jumper set in the master slot.but when i took the hard drive out to look at it i saw that the way they say to set it to master is to take off the jumper..and now it works fine.. thanks for taking the time to read this post. hope it may help someone else out in the future..

JP......