vx4400, USB, and win98se help

I have Googled this group and banged my head on the desk a lot so it's time
to ask for help. Last fall I used my laptop and vx4400 for Express Network
without a hitch. I have the FutureDial straight USB cable and the FD
drivers.

I recently replaced the hard drive and started with a fresh load of Win98se.
I got the fresh drivers from FutureDial and loaded them but when I connect
my phone, the PC finds a "Qualcom Telecommunications MM" and it doesn't like
any of the drivers I have. (Banging head on desk)

I put the old, sick HD back in and the phone works perfectly. I can't
remember having to do anything else when I did the first setup. (Banging
head again.)

Can anyone enlighten me please? I know it has to be a dumb oversight but I
sure can't seem to find it.

Thanks!
Paul
8 answers Last reply
More about vx4400 win98se help

    "Paul of Dayton" <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote in message
    > I have Googled this group and banged my head on the desk a lot so
    > it's time to ask for help. Last fall I used my laptop and vx4400 for
    > Express Network without a hitch. I have the FutureDial straight USB
    > cable and the FD drivers.
    >
    > I recently replaced the hard drive and started with a fresh load of
    > Win98se. I got the fresh drivers from FutureDial and loaded them but
    > when I connect my phone, the PC finds a "Qualcom Telecommunications
    > MM" and it doesn't like any of the drivers I have. (Banging head on
    > desk)
    >
    > I put the old, sick HD back in and the phone works perfectly. I can't
    > remember having to do anything else when I did the first setup.
    > (Banging head again.)
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me please? I know it has to be a dumb oversight
    > but I sure can't seem to find it.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Paul

    Check for updates to the USB stuff in windows. As I recall, many years ago,
    when win98se came out, they only supported usb 1.0, and a max speed of 115.
    The newer ones support higher speeds and USB 2.0 stuff. You may have updated
    your USB stuff with some other software or device. It could be something
    totally weird, when I installed a USB mouse, it changed a bunch of USB stuff
    in windows (I have a USB printer also and it changed the windows USB stuff
    too).

    Be aware that Microsoft no longer (freely) supports win98 USB drivers, check
    www.download.com (cnet download website) or www.zdnet.com (ziff-davis site)
    for updates.

    Remember there is USB 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 They all work at different speeds,
    and tweak driver speeds.

    Good luck!

    "Paul of Dayton" <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote:

    > I have Googled this group and banged my head on the desk a lot so it's time
    > to ask for help. Last fall I used my laptop and vx4400 for Express Network
    > without a hitch. I have the FutureDial straight USB cable and the FD
    > drivers.
    >
    > I recently replaced the hard drive and started with a fresh load of Win98se.
    > I got the fresh drivers from FutureDial and loaded them but when I connect
    > my phone, the PC finds a "Qualcom Telecommunications MM" and it doesn't like
    > any of the drivers I have. (Banging head on desk)
    >
    > I put the old, sick HD back in and the phone works perfectly. I can't
    > remember having to do anything else when I did the first setup. (Banging
    > head again.)
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me please? I know it has to be a dumb oversight but I
    > sure can't seem to find it.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Paul

    I have similar problem with my VX4400 and FutureDial cable, and I don't
    know what is going on. This is all I know

    I don't use often but have it working for around a year, and about 2
    months ago was the last time I tried (I just upgraded to newer version of
    BitPim so I make another backup, and only restored once). Then around a
    month ago I installed the latest service pack for the XP Pro. and that's
    about it.

    And I found out the MasterCook 7 doesn't work with the new service pack,
    and few days ago I upgraded to BitPim v7 beta-7 and since I have added few
    newer phone numbers to the cell phone so I decided to make another backup.
    And found out it no longer work. This is what I have noticed.

    1) I checked with Devices Managers and it reports LG modem, Futuredial
    driver installed fine on COM-4

    2) I also noticed that the RS port setting from VX4400 keeps going back to
    USB setting. I can hear WinXP making the TING TING sound (newer hardware
    found) when I plug the phone and sometime it even making TING TING sound
    while connecting too, then the VX4400 changes from RS -> USB

    I have changed back to RS a dozen times.

    3) And can't get BitPim to see COM-4 even when I set to RS port (it only
    sees COM-1 and COM-2).

    So, I think that probably the Service Pack is causing the problem... or
    something is wrong with the cable or USB connection ??????

    Thanks, I'll check it out. Overnight, I tried the phone on my XP machine -
    same message. I know I am missing something - I may have to break down and
    buy the Mobile Office kit... I understand it has all drivers and settings...

    PoD

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Paul of Dayton" <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote in message
    > > I have Googled this group and banged my head on the desk a lot so
    > > it's time to ask for help. Last fall I used my laptop and vx4400 for
    > > Express Network without a hitch. I have the FutureDial straight USB
    > > cable and the FD drivers.
    > >
    > > I recently replaced the hard drive and started with a fresh load of
    > > Win98se. I got the fresh drivers from FutureDial and loaded them but
    > > when I connect my phone, the PC finds a "Qualcom Telecommunications
    > > MM" and it doesn't like any of the drivers I have. (Banging head on
    > > desk)
    > >
    > > I put the old, sick HD back in and the phone works perfectly. I can't
    > > remember having to do anything else when I did the first setup.
    > > (Banging head again.)
    > >
    > > Can anyone enlighten me please? I know it has to be a dumb oversight
    > > but I sure can't seem to find it.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Paul
    >
    > Check for updates to the USB stuff in windows. As I recall, many years
    ago,
    > when win98se came out, they only supported usb 1.0, and a max speed of
    115.
    > The newer ones support higher speeds and USB 2.0 stuff. You may have
    updated
    > your USB stuff with some other software or device. It could be something
    > totally weird, when I installed a USB mouse, it changed a bunch of USB
    stuff
    > in windows (I have a USB printer also and it changed the windows USB stuff
    > too).
    >
    > Be aware that Microsoft no longer (freely) supports win98 USB drivers,
    check
    > www.download.com (cnet download website) or www.zdnet.com (ziff-davis
    site)
    > for updates.
    >
    > Remember there is USB 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 They all work at different speeds,
    > and tweak driver speeds.
    >
    > Good luck!

    If you have the same error on both win98se and XP, then it's probably not
    anything to do with the USB speed. Be aware though that if you use the MO
    kit, it comes with venturi compression, and will try and install the drivers
    at the highest speed possible (115 for QWK2NET, 230 for 1x).

    Are you using the program that converts USB ports to com ports? If so, that
    also has to be installed to make a USB port look like a com port for most
    software.

    If that program (that converts a USB to a COM port) is missing, you can get
    the same effect on both XP and win98se.

    Just to be clear, you can set the phone interface to either rs232 or USB. If
    set to USB (and the phone comes preset from the factory as USB), you may
    have to have the USB to serial port software installed.

    > Thanks, I'll check it out. Overnight, I tried the phone on my XP
    > machine - same message. I know I am missing something - I may have
    > to break down and buy the Mobile Office kit... I understand it has
    > all drivers and settings...
    >
    > PoD
    >

    > "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Paul of Dayton" <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote in message
    >>> I have Googled this group and banged my head on the desk a lot so
    >>> it's time to ask for help. Last fall I used my laptop and vx4400
    >>> for Express Network without a hitch. I have the FutureDial
    >>> straight USB cable and the FD drivers.
    >>>
    >>> I recently replaced the hard drive and started with a fresh load of
    >>> Win98se. I got the fresh drivers from FutureDial and loaded them but
    >>> when I connect my phone, the PC finds a "Qualcom Telecommunications
    >>> MM" and it doesn't like any of the drivers I have. (Banging head on
    >>> desk)
    >>>
    >>> I put the old, sick HD back in and the phone works perfectly. I
    >>> can't remember having to do anything else when I did the first
    >>> setup. (Banging head again.)
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone enlighten me please? I know it has to be a dumb
    >>> oversight but I sure can't seem to find it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Paul
    >>
    >> Check for updates to the USB stuff in windows. As I recall, many
    >> years ago, when win98se came out, they only supported usb 1.0, and a
    >> max speed of 115. The newer ones support higher speeds and USB 2.0
    >> stuff. You may have updated your USB stuff with some other software
    >> or device. It could be something totally weird, when I installed a
    >> USB mouse, it changed a bunch of USB stuff in windows (I have a USB
    >> printer also and it changed the windows USB stuff too).
    >>
    >> Be aware that Microsoft no longer (freely) supports win98 USB
    >> drivers, check www.download.com (cnet download website) or
    >> www.zdnet.com (ziff-davis site) for updates.
    >>
    >> Remember there is USB 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 They all work at different
    >> speeds, and tweak driver speeds.
    >>
    >> Good luck!

    Thanks everybody. I have a little more info to share.
    When I tried the phone on the XP machine, I had NOT run the FutureDial USB
    installer. I ran it, then connected the phone as directed and XP figured
    out how to recognize it and installed a mess of things - bottom line - the
    vx4400 is a modem on the XP now.

    I have re-run the USB installer on the laptop a few times, it looks like the
    needed stuff is in the proper places but it still can't get past recognizing
    a "Qualcomm Technologies MSM"...

    I am searching for new USB stuff from Compaq (it's an old Presario) and an
    now sure I and the laptop are sharing a brain cramp.

    By the way, I went to the Verizon store to purchase the Mobile Office kit in
    a fit of frustration, it was $40 at the store even tho the web site offers
    it for $26 - so I didn't buy it. I have a feeling it won't really matter
    anyway...

    Thanks for the help so far - I welcome all comments.

    PoD

    I figured out how to fix the failure of the laptop to properly recognize the
    phone. The old MS Knowledge Base had info about USB items not working - - -
    It had a convoluted system to fix it which didn't BUT, I removed the
    offending USB items with the Device Manager and rebooted. Voila!!- (pretty
    music here) it found the phone properly.

    I am once again able to surf while mobile.

    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

    Oh, I broke down this morning and ordered the Mobile Office Kit from VZW -
    now I don't need it. I guess I'll try Ebay...

    PoD

    "Paul of Dayton" <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote:

    > I figured out how to fix the failure of the laptop to properly recognize the
    > phone. The old MS Knowledge Base had info about USB items not working - - -
    > It had a convoluted system to fix it which didn't BUT, I removed the
    > offending USB items with the Device Manager and rebooted. Voila!!- (pretty
    > music here) it found the phone properly.
    >
    > I am once again able to surf while mobile.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
    >
    > Oh, I broke down this morning and ordered the Mobile Office Kit from VZW -
    > now I don't need it. I guess I'll try Ebay...
    >
    > PoD

    I may have to try you trick by removing the driver in "Device Manager" and
    reinstall to see if it will do the trick for me. I know mine was working
    fine for awhile then just refuse to work for some unknown reason.

    I don't think you'll hurt anything since it rebuilds when you reboot. Good
    luck!

    PoD

    "Joel" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
    "Paul of Dayton" <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote:

    > I figured out how to fix the failure of the laptop to properly recognize
    the
    > phone. The old MS Knowledge Base had info about USB items not
    working - - -
    > It had a convoluted system to fix it which didn't BUT, I removed the
    > offending USB items with the Device Manager and rebooted. Voila!!-
    (pretty
    > music here) it found the phone properly.
    >
    > I am once again able to surf while mobile.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
    >
    > Oh, I broke down this morning and ordered the Mobile Office Kit from VZW -
    > now I don't need it. I guess I'll try Ebay...
    >
    > PoD

    I may have to try you trick by removing the driver in "Device Manager" and
    reinstall to see if it will do the trick for me. I know mine was working
    fine for awhile then just refuse to work for some unknown reason.

Verizon Drivers USB Internet Service Providers