best value board for overclocking P4 2.2?

G

Can anyone tell me which boards are the most stable (as well as economical!) for overclocking p4s? Upping the core voltage is something that is vital.
What about the new 533 Mhz bus being introduced? Which board will have best support for Upgrading in the future?

Please Help!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
What the-?

You're buying a 2.2 and looking for an economical OCing board? First, the 2.2 won't overclock as much percentage-wise as the lower models, and second, if you're worried about cash you can go with a 1.6A or 1.8A and probably get better performance in the end, because of the higher FSB.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

G

I am purchasing a barebones system as part of an upgrade and so thought that by investing the most on CPU, mobo and memory, I could eventually make myself a decent PC. But getting a 2.2 leaves me slightly strapped and therefore looking for good pricing in the mobo.
What speeds have 1.8s been OC'd to? As far as this website goes, 2.2's have been OC'd to 3.00 + and so I thought this might be a better option....maybe I should do a comparison of OC results for the 1.8 and 2.0...Thanks

FatBurger

Illustrious
My 1.6A has gone over 2.5 with the stock heatsink. You most likely won't see 3GHz with the retail, but I could be wrong. The 1.8A would probably be best, and save you some good cash over the 2.2.

I recommend an Abit TH7II and Samsung RDRAM.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

G

thanks! That makes sense. Btw, am I correct in assuming that to achieve the best results when OC'ing theses chips, that one would have to increase core voltage, if so, does the TH7II support this increase. I have heard that not many do....but I think this one has that feature.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The official BIOS only supports up to 1.65v, but there are other BIOSes that support up to 1.85v or more, and you can always physically mod the board to get more.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Watch out with the ultra high voltages though, even a P4 might not be able to handle them without extra cooling.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Cooling doesn't help high voltages. A P4 at 2.5v with LN2 cooling will die just as fast as a P4 at 2.5v with air cooling.