Linux install

G

I installed Linux fine (Redhat 7.0), and it works for all text based stuff, but I can't get my ethernet working (I think I have the domains wrong and dont know what comands or what files it stored my domain and ip and such, eth0 is detected during setup) I also can't get X-windows working. This is the end of the logfile. Any help would be appreciated.

(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.2.3) for chipsets: ati, ativga
(II) R128: Driver for ATI Rage 128 chipsets: ATI Rage 128 RE (PCI),
ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RG (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RK (PCI),
ATI Rage 128 RL (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP),
ATI Rage 128 Mobility LE (PCI), ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP),
ATI Rage 128 Mobility MF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Mobility ML (AGP)
(II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets: ATI Radeon QD (AGP),
ATI Radeon QE (AGP), ATI Radeon QF (AGP), ATI Radeon QG (AGP)
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Your computer's domain is stored in /etc/resolv.conf . For example, if you subscribe to, say, earthlink.net, your resolv.conf file would look like this:

search earthlink.net
nameserver 207.217.126.81
nameserver 207.217.77.82

The first line usually defines your parent domain, and the second and third line are (obviously) DNS servers that you can access.

The system's IP address is not stored in any consistent place; it depends on your distro.

I believe RedHat has a utility called netcfg (or something similar) to make all this easier, but netcfg is X-only AFAIK.

As for the X problem, it's pretty simple; RedHat can't autodetect your video chipset. It's dropping through all the drivers it knows to try, probing for a card that works with some known driver, before giving up and choking. Before you can go any further down that road, you probably ought to find out exactly what video card/chipset you have.

Having XFree86 4.0.x makes X setup a great deal easier btw...I believe RedHat 7.0 comes with 3.3.6.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

G

Ok, I finally got the ethernet going, and I got it to find the radeon card. I think it is having problems with the mouse any ideas on how to fix this?

(==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
Screen to screen bit blits
Solid filled rectangles
8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
Solid Lines
Dashed Lines
Offscreen Pixmaps
Setting up tile and stipple cache:
32 128x128 slots
32 256x256 slots
16 512x512 slots
(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
(II) RADEON(0): Using hardware cursor (scanline 1026)
(II) RADEON(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1280 x 7163
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm I'd assume that somewhere below the output you posted, X dumps with a mouse error message.

I'm guessing you're using a PS/2 mouse (most common). Going on that assumption...

If you have a symlink called /dev/mouse, make sure it links to either /dev/psmouse or /dev/psaux. If it doesn't, or it doesn't exist, you need to find out whether you have /dev/psmouse or /dev/psaux, and make /dev/mouse a link to whichever one you have. I'd be very, very surprised if you didn't have /dev/psmouse or /dev/psaux!

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

G

Well it doesnt dump, it just sits. I am fairly ignorant and dont know how to check about links. I do know its a PS/2 however. Any explanation would be much appreciated

G

Ok, there is a symlink from mouse to psaux. i assume, i actually want psmouse to be symlinked? I man'd symlink and its a c++ function, would i have to write a program to do thi, or is there a function somewherE? thanks
-P

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Either psaux or psmouse will work equally well, so you're currently set up fine on the symlinks. Symlinks can actually be set up via the "ln" command with the -s option.

So...now we wonder why it just sits there. The mouse setup looks fine; if the mouse setup is incorrect, then X generally stops and spits out an error message about fatal server crash, contact your sysadmin, etc. etc.

Stupid question here, but what command are you using to start X?

Also, see if gpm is running. The following command should
list all possible instances of gpm:

ps -aux | grep gpm | grep -v 'grep gpm'

gpm is a bit of software that enables you to use your mouse on a console. If there are any instances of gpm, use the kill command on them, then try starting X again.

Kelledin

G

Well thank you for your help sir, I got it working. It can even latex my homework for one of my classes. For some reason when I ran the config command for x-windows it never copied over the new file, it just sat there. I copied iot over on a hunch, and then i had thew entertainment of trying to get a windows manager going, i kept messing the the file in the xinit directory. Thanks again. Take care
-P