I Can't install Conexant audio driver

taulant01

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Hello guys.

I have just formated my Laptop, which is a COMPAQ Presario CQ60 laptop, with WINDOWS 8.

When I had Windows 7 i got some problems with my Microphone but fortunately I found the solution, I had to install the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 v. 4.98.4.60 (sp45166)

But in Windows 8 when I want to install this driver is shows me this error:

Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the dervice for this driver.

I searched on the internet and read somewhere to install this driver:
Conexant CX20468-31 AC97 Audio driver v. 6.13.10.8340 (sp28481)

But it didn't worked to. In the end it showed me that it failed to install it.

What should I do now? The drivers that Windows 8 installed by his self are working for audio but not for the microphone.

Can some one help me?

Hi :)

8 is still a beta.... what you do is one of two things....

1, Put up with it...

2, Go back to your previous Operating system...

The cq60 is an old low powered laptop.....

Some hardware will just NOT run with 8...you did check first of course ?

All the best Brett :)

Since the software may not be able to understand the new NT6.2(Win8) it may be part of the problem.

You may want to go look in your C:\SWSETUP\SP45166\ folder and see if you can manually install the drivers from the device manager.

From the device manager(devmgmt.msc)

Hold Start+R and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
Right click the sound card and select Update Driver Software
Browse My Computer
Let me pick......
Have Disk
No goto the C:\SWSETUP\SP45166(or 28481 if you want to try that driver)\W7-(32 or 64 depending on the version of 8 you have) and select WAHERwa.inf

See if this works for you. You will most likely get a message about the driver not being made for your version of windows, you can continue anyway.

INF files also contain different directions for different versions of windows(NT6.0 Vista | NT6.1 Win7| NT2.2 Win8). I am hoping that it is close enough for you to at least get sound.

Failing that, I guess you could try to edit the INF file, but that is another story.

Best of luck..