Alltel Deal Much Better-1300 Minutes- Left Verizon After 1..

Last response: in Network Providers
April 16, 2004 8:20:40 AM

I have been a Verizon customer since the early 90s when it was Bell
Atlantic Mobile, but switched yesterday to Alltel. I live in the
Carolinas and Alltel offers a "local freedom" plan now with 1,300
anytime minutes in North or South Carolina, plus unlimited night and
weekends, and includes nationwide long distance, for $49.95. I had
almost exactly the same plan with Verizon, which I got on a special
which has long since been discontinued, but I was able to keep, for
900 minutes (the best they offer now is 700 minutes). With the Alltel
plan I get 40%+ more minutes for the same price in an almost identical
plan. Plus, when I am outside of the Alltel area, which has very good
cell tower coverage, as good or better here than Verizon and also
CDMA, I am roaming on Verizon anyway, since the two have a nationwide
roaming agreement. That's what I call a win-win. I hesitated to
leave Verizon and think it is a great company, but this is just too
good to pass up. The phone, by the way, is an LG picture phone model
that, except for the camera is almost identical to the great LG VX4400
I had at VZW.
April 16, 2004 5:34:06 PM

"TriModeMan" <trimodeman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been a Verizon customer since the early 90s when it was Bell
> Atlantic Mobile, but switched yesterday to Alltel. I live in the
> Carolinas and Alltel offers a "local freedom" plan now with 1,300
> anytime minutes in North or South Carolina, plus unlimited night and
> weekends, and includes nationwide long distance, for $49.95. I had
> almost exactly the same plan with Verizon, which I got on a special
> which has long since been discontinued, but I was able to keep, for
> 900 minutes (the best they offer now is 700 minutes). With the Alltel
> plan I get 40%+ more minutes for the same price in an almost identical
> plan. Plus, when I am outside of the Alltel area, which has very good
> cell tower coverage, as good or better here than Verizon and also
> CDMA, I am roaming on Verizon anyway, since the two have a nationwide
> roaming agreement. That's what I call a win-win. I hesitated to
> leave Verizon and think it is a great company, but this is just too
> good to pass up. The phone, by the way, is an LG picture phone model
> that, except for the camera is almost identical to the great LG VX4400
> I had at VZW.

I am in NC also and the local plans Alltel offers are great as far as
minutes go. I have been waiting for months for Verizon to at least get a
little closer in minutes on their LDC plan. As far as the roaming deal
goes, Alltel customers are NOT allowed to roam on Verizon towers here in my
area. There are several areas here where Verizon is the only one who has
service. Alltel customers in those areas have no service. Roaming
agreements between carriers are often market dependent. Alltel doesn't
allow their customers to use Verizon's towers in this area due to them
believing their system is adequate to do the job.

KC
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 6:33:48 PM

Plans are market specific... I have VZW here in the Tampa market and for
$49.95 I get 1000 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, and free mobile
to mobile. The M2M works better for me then the new IN plan...

I love VZW! Never have a problem with service, never had to talk to CS about
billing, coverage, etc. ('course now, all heck will break loose)

Matt

"TriModeMan" <trimodeman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been a Verizon customer since the early 90s when it was Bell
> Atlantic Mobile, but switched yesterday to Alltel. I live in the
> Carolinas and Alltel offers a "local freedom" plan now with 1,300
> anytime minutes in North or South Carolina, plus unlimited night and
> weekends, and includes nationwide long distance, for $49.95. I had
> almost exactly the same plan with Verizon, which I got on a special
> which has long since been discontinued, but I was able to keep, for
> 900 minutes (the best they offer now is 700 minutes). With the Alltel
> plan I get 40%+ more minutes for the same price in an almost identical
> plan. Plus, when I am outside of the Alltel area, which has very good
> cell tower coverage, as good or better here than Verizon and also
> CDMA, I am roaming on Verizon anyway, since the two have a nationwide
> roaming agreement. That's what I call a win-win. I hesitated to
> leave Verizon and think it is a great company, but this is just too
> good to pass up. The phone, by the way, is an LG picture phone model
> that, except for the camera is almost identical to the great LG VX4400
> I had at VZW.
Related resources
April 17, 2004 4:05:51 AM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:33:48 GMT, "Matt J. Britt"
<NoSpam@NoSpam.NoSpam> wrote:

>Plans are market specific... I have VZW here in the Tampa market and for
>$49.95 I get 1000 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, and free mobile
>to mobile. The M2M works better for me then the new IN plan...

How so? It's my understanding that Mobile to Mobile and In-Network
are identical. Now, the costs may be different... but if you have
free M2M, it's the same as free In-Network.

Mike
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 5:21:42 PM

The Dr offers "unlimited" calling for $49.99 in the midwest. Started
4/16/04

I've waited to do this, looking for the right opportunity, and here it tis:
A few months ago, Verizon offered a midwest 2000 LDC anytime minute package
for $39.99. 1000 anytime plus 1000 mobile to mobile. They showed the math
as 2000=1000 anytime +1000 anytime mobile to mobile

Now we have a new package xxxx =1000 anytime +unlimited in network (formerly
anytime mobile to mobile) + unlimited nights n weekends all for
$49.99/month, 2 yr contracts only.

So, if it was fair to call 2000 =(1000 + 1000) then it must be "fair" to
call the 1000 + unl = unlimited!

For those tired of wireless, this is really wireMORE.... hey, our trade name
in action!
1000 anytime minutes, Local Digital Choice, 2 year plan: $39.99/month ( no
in-network or n/we option)
1000 anytime minutes LDC, + unl in-network + unl nights/weekend, 2 year
plan: $49.99/month!!!
--
Dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.

"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:33:48 GMT, "Matt J. Britt"
> <NoSpam@NoSpam.NoSpam> wrote:
>
> >Plans are market specific... I have VZW here in the Tampa market and for
> >$49.95 I get 1000 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, and free
mobile
> >to mobile. The M2M works better for me then the new IN plan...
>
> How so? It's my understanding that Mobile to Mobile and In-Network
> are identical. Now, the costs may be different... but if you have
> free M2M, it's the same as free In-Network.
>
> Mike
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 5:21:43 PM

Dr.wireMORE <Dr.wireMORE@vzw-midwestma.com> wrote:

> So, if it was fair to call 2000 =(1000 + 1000) then it must be "fair" to
> call the 1000 + unl = unlimited!

No, it's 1000 + unlimited In-Network + unlimited NW. :p

April 17, 2004 5:32:01 PM

"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:33:48 GMT, "Matt J. Britt"
> <NoSpam@NoSpam.NoSpam> wrote:
>
> >Plans are market specific... I have VZW here in the Tampa market and for
> >$49.95 I get 1000 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, and free
mobile
> >to mobile. The M2M works better for me then the new IN plan...
>
> How so? It's my understanding that Mobile to Mobile and In-Network
> are identical. Now, the costs may be different... but if you have
> free M2M, it's the same as free In-Network.
>
> Mike

They are the same, but my plan gives me a bucket of 1000 M2M. For me to get
the Unlimited IN network, I would have to add it to my plan at an additional
cost. Generally, I use about 700 M2M (well under the 1000) so I can't see
adding the unlimited plan. On my free nights and weekends, I call landline
numbers and not the person's mobile - not using M2M first...

Matt
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 6:54:38 PM

Hey KC,

I was afraid you were gone--haven't seen anything from you in a while. Do
you think Verizon offers the best coverage overall in NC? I've been "irked"
with Verizon for taking away my free voicemail retrievals and giving me
nothing in return and am developing the itch to change carriers, but if
there really isn't anything better around here (and I travel to WV, Vegas,
NYC, Myrtle Beach, mainly cities that are well-covered) then I will just get
over my being ticked off and stick with VZW.

Thanks, and glad you're still around :) ,

Janie
"_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote in message

> "TriModeMan" <trimodeman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have been a Verizon customer since the early 90s when it was Bell
> > Atlantic Mobile, but switched yesterday to Alltel. I live in the
> > Carolinas and Alltel offers a "local freedom" plan now with 1,300
> > anytime minutes in North or South Carolina, plus unlimited night and
> > weekends, and includes nationwide long distance, for $49.95. I had
> > almost exactly the same plan with Verizon, which I got on a special
> > which has long since been discontinued, but I was able to keep, for
> > 900 minutes (the best they offer now is 700 minutes). With the Alltel
> > plan I get 40%+ more minutes for the same price in an almost identical
> > plan. Plus, when I am outside of the Alltel area, which has very good
> > cell tower coverage, as good or better here than Verizon and also
> > CDMA, I am roaming on Verizon anyway, since the two have a nationwide
> > roaming agreement. That's what I call a win-win. I hesitated to
> > leave Verizon and think it is a great company, but this is just too
> > good to pass up. The phone, by the way, is an LG picture phone model
> > that, except for the camera is almost identical to the great LG VX4400
> > I had at VZW.
>

> I am in NC also and the local plans Alltel offers are great as far as
> minutes go. I have been waiting for months for Verizon to at least get a
> little closer in minutes on their LDC plan. As far as the roaming deal
> goes, Alltel customers are NOT allowed to roam on Verizon towers here in
my
> area. There are several areas here where Verizon is the only one who has
> service. Alltel customers in those areas have no service. Roaming
> agreements between carriers are often market dependent. Alltel doesn't
> allow their customers to use Verizon's towers in this area due to them
> believing their system is adequate to do the job.
>

> KC

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 4:14:42 AM

I have found places in the mountains of NC where Alltel is still
static-laden analog, while Verizon is a decent digital signal.

"Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o ybgc.11000$6m4.521031@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Hey KC,
>
> I was afraid you were gone--haven't seen anything from you in a while. Do
> you think Verizon offers the best coverage overall in NC? I've been
"irked"
> with Verizon for taking away my free voicemail retrievals and giving me
> nothing in return and am developing the itch to change carriers, but if
> there really isn't anything better around here (and I travel to WV, Vegas,
> NYC, Myrtle Beach, mainly cities that are well-covered) then I will just
get
> over my being ticked off and stick with VZW.
>
> Thanks, and glad you're still around :) ,
>
> Janie
> "_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "TriModeMan" <trimodeman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have been a Verizon customer since the early 90s when it was Bell
> > > Atlantic Mobile, but switched yesterday to Alltel. I live in the
> > > Carolinas and Alltel offers a "local freedom" plan now with 1,300
> > > anytime minutes in North or South Carolina, plus unlimited night and
> > > weekends, and includes nationwide long distance, for $49.95. I had
> > > almost exactly the same plan with Verizon, which I got on a special
> > > which has long since been discontinued, but I was able to keep, for
> > > 900 minutes (the best they offer now is 700 minutes). With the Alltel
> > > plan I get 40%+ more minutes for the same price in an almost identical
> > > plan. Plus, when I am outside of the Alltel area, which has very good
> > > cell tower coverage, as good or better here than Verizon and also
> > > CDMA, I am roaming on Verizon anyway, since the two have a nationwide
> > > roaming agreement. That's what I call a win-win. I hesitated to
> > > leave Verizon and think it is a great company, but this is just too
> > > good to pass up. The phone, by the way, is an LG picture phone model
> > > that, except for the camera is almost identical to the great LG VX4400
> > > I had at VZW.
> >

> > I am in NC also and the local plans Alltel offers are great as far as
> > minutes go. I have been waiting for months for Verizon to at least get
> > little closer in minutes on their LDC plan. As far as the roaming deal
> > goes, Alltel customers are NOT allowed to roam on Verizon towers here in
> my
> > area. There are several areas here where Verizon is the only one who
has
> > service. Alltel customers in those areas have no service. Roaming
> > agreements between carriers are often market dependent. Alltel doesn't
> > allow their customers to use Verizon's towers in this area due to them
> > believing their system is adequate to do the job.
> >

> > KC

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 5:06:55 AM

Thanks, Don.