Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I recently bought an ECS K7S5A mobo for my computer, I tried installing it, but I can't even get it to boot!! I tried running it with minimum parts...2 sticks of Pc-133 SDRAM, an Athlon T-bird 850MHZ and a Geforce2 Ti.
Does anybody have any experience with this board??
Please give me a few suggestions that you think my help!
Thanks.

"I only drink on days that end with "AY"..."

dancen

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
If you have tried re-seatting everything, and it still doesn't work - It sounds like the classic bad ecs board problems, return it for a new one.

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Hi i hope this helps, i also have the same board, it is a very picky board, like the other guy said try checking all your conections, it has happened to me before, if something is not hooked up right it will not work, and make sure your videocard is pushed all the way down, i had that problem with my video card, the slots are very tight and takes a little force to get in . this was my first attempt to build a computer, other than the videocard this motherboard is ok, i have had no problems out of it. I hope this helps.

I only LIE because you cant handle the truth.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey C,

Okay, I'll try to ask the right questions. Starting with the Absurd, Is your PS switched on? Is the PS on 115 volts(if you are in the US)? Do any fans go on when you push the power button? How old, how many watts & has this PS ever worked in a system? Have you tried taking the mobo out of the case, laying in on a non-conductive surface & starting it that way?(this is to make sure the mobo is not shorting on the case). Have you tried using only 1 stick of Ram? What brand of Ram is it? Have you made sure that the "Clear CMOS" jumper is on Normal(not clear/short)? Did this system ever post? Did you use too much or no "Thermal Grease" on the CPU? Do you get any mobo "Beeps" or nothing? Did you run around your house dragging your shoes, then spark the mobo with static(just kidding)? Are all the parts brand new? Can you get another system & one by one test everything in the working system to rule out all the other parts..........like the cpu, video card, ram, ps.

Write back with more info, and maybe someone smarter than me will be able to solve your problem. Good Luck

Peace Out..............tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Make sure you have a decent power supply. These boards are very picky about power supplies. For whatever reason these boards won't even turn on with Deer power supplies.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

dhlucke

Polypheme
There are basically 3 reoccuring issues:
1) You need a good powersupply. These boards are extra picky, but everyone should have a good powersupply. It used to be no big deal, but this last year I've really started to see the value in a good powersupply.
2) You need good memory. Back in the day I used generic memory, but it's not worth the hastles that it causes in the long run. Memory is expensive right now, but it's completely worth buying quality memory.
3) I think this is the third, I've seen it come up a few times, but make sure that your chipset isn't overheating due to a crappy compound between the passive heatsink. This is really a last resort, and you might want to do a search on it.

From my experience, this board is great if not perfect, but I started out with good components so I haven't had any problems myself. I'm just passing on what I've seen others troubleshoot. Make sure you check what the others above suggested as well.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I'm using a 300W PS (brand new) and I have Crucial memory only in my system. I'm positive all my other components are working fine...I contacted tech support from where I got it, and it seems like I got a DOA. So, I'm returning it and getting a different board instead.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey C,

Cool! Sorry I could not be of more help. Good Luck with your next mobo.

Peace Out............tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Hey Tile,
I did try everything you've mentionned in your other post...but the damn thing never gave me any signs of life!
I read every imaginable post about it! I guess when it comes down to this board, you either get a kick ass board or a piece of [-peep-] that is going to give you the biggest headaches!! So, I'm not going to waste anymore time, because like most of you...going a couple of days without my computer is just plain torture!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
sorry to hear the k7s5a didnt work out for you! too bad, but you will move on to bigger and better things. :wink:
AHYUK!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Just because it's new and just because it's 300W doesn't necessarily mean it's a good power supply. What brand is it?

Yep. Listen to DH and Black Cat. Those are the recurring probs with this mobo, and a 300W PSU may not deliver the goods. One or two types of 300W PSUs will work but:

350W min.

400W recommended.

Is a good rule of thumb.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Odds are that the powersupply just couldn't power up that board. It's worth buying a good powersupply. I haven't used a 300W powersupply since I crossed the Ghz barrier.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

SmileyBri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know this thread is long dead, but would you folks stop it with the power supply answer to this board.

A good number of these boards are crap! I know you have not had any problem with yours. You are lucky. Buying the board is a crap shoot!

And hey! It ain't the PSU! My working K7S5A boards are with the standard power supply in an Enlight case (300w or 340w). They work fine! I purchased Enermax and HEC power supplies based on these STUPID comments. Results? A really good PSU can't make a bad motherboard a good one. Just so the record is straight....

IT IS NOT THE POWER SUPPLY! STAY AWAY FROM THE BOARD!

unless you are the type that likes to bang your head on the wall!

<font color=red><i>such madness</i></font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmmm....
why did you buy two powersupplies instead of RMAing the board? would have been cheaper and you probably would have a working k7s5a... :eek:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey S,

I had to find out the hard way that you are RIGHT. I got 2 mobos for 2 systems, the first one ran so great, the second one didn't run at all. I did everything in my earlier post in this in this subject & swapped out & reseated everything. I case eanyone wants to know I was using Enermax 350 watt PS's in both systems & tested with a Enermax 430 watt PS. Nothing, no beeps, no video, all fans spinning. I RMA'ed it after 2 days of trying everything 3 times & replaced it with a Shuttle AK31A mobo..........the system works great now.

I too will never use this mobo again, even though the working system is running great. I liked the idea of a non-Via chipset & low price, but it is not worth my time to give this mobo another chance. I will use other SiS chipset mobo's, just not ECS.

Peace Out.............tile

It would be nice if everyone gave too much information about their system & problems.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I only replied to the original poster with the now standard power supply answer because I have experienced it all with this mobo and a good power supply usually does the trick. When you think about it, getting a good power supply is good advice for anyone regardless of mobo or platform.

The K7S5A is a terrific mobo... if you get a good one. The second revision seems to be better than the first, but there seems to be way too many dead boards out there. I'm lucky that it costs me nothing to RMA the board because my warehouse is right around the corner. However, if you're ordering online I would stay away from it. It's unfortunate for ECS because they have something good here, they just need to improve quality control.