Sign in with
Your question

Help which next gen console

Last response: in Video Games
March 13, 2006 12:50:58 PM

Hi. Recently i hit a large dilema what next gen console to get. i'm not a hardcore gamer i just enjoy them so i dont want to break the bank getting one. what do i get.

Revolution: pros cool small design. cheaper!!! cool controler. Adds something new to gaming. free online

Cons: i want mature fps and action games not mario!!!

ps3 pros killone ps3 looks out of this world. Best graphics. Loads of amazing lauch games.

cons. going to be really expencive (does anyone have a price). Ugly

Xbox 360. pros cheaper that ps3??? looks gd.

Cons feels like xbox 1.5 too. no killer app. poor lauch line up. pricy concidering what you get. too many pc ports.

Thats what i think but i still dont know which. Please help

Regards

Patrick

More about : gen console

March 13, 2006 4:21:22 PM

Like you said, we don't know yet what the PS3 will cost, so if you don't mind the wait, then you should wait and see what the price is. By then there will be more games available for the 360 so you can make an informed choice.

I personally wouldn't buy a console based upon the look of the box!
March 14, 2006 5:41:11 AM

the xbox360 has a definitely plus against the competition: you can actually buy one today.

Waiting for something that may become available at the end of the year, if you want to play now, does not make sense. Because in a year's time, there will be something else worth waiting for.

Personally I always start of with determining a timepoint when I want to buy something, then start reading up on what is available and what is planned to be available around that time and go on from there. And even then, something that is already out on the market is a plus by itself as planned launches may be subject to change.
Related resources
March 14, 2006 7:22:02 AM

I would get a 360. (Please note: I already have a 360)
But still plan on getting a PS3, just after any issues are resolved after launch of product.

Why I would still get a 360 b4 PS3:
*Recent speculation says PS3 won't hit US market until after this year..
*Xbox 360 will have a Larger Range of Games Avaliable by then...
*Nothing Beats Xbox Live..
*PS3 may look good, but personally, how the hell do you know what games look like if you havent played any games on it...
*Speculation is spreading that vibration in the Dual Shock might be a big reason why PS3 isn't ready... other than Blu-Ray..
*For the Price (300 -400) The xbox 360 is a sweet deal. Speculation is saying that PS3 will be over 500 to 700. I think thats just wrong, but if its true, its going to have its issues with people with a budget. (U could get 2 core 360's for that)
*When PS3 does hit US market (Xbox 360 is planning a price drop after Halo 3 is launched)

--I do agree that some of the games on PS3 (Killing Day) will be a nice reason to go in that direction, but if the hardware has problems (like blue-tooth has issues), then SOFTWARE should not be your only reason to go to PS3. Xbox 360 has had all its issues with the memory fixed, besided, i would always get extended warranty for anything over 300 bucks, and that fixes any common issues. PS2 has common issue to get READ-DISK ERROR after like 2 years of use, and by then most warranty was void by then, and many people were screwed (me). Also, Microsoft lost about 170 bucks per conslol on xbox, and are losing 152 Bucks per xbox 360 sold, so its actually worth more then its priced.
March 14, 2006 2:11:07 PM

Thanks for the adivse. I think ill certinally wait for a couple of months until more info has been released about the consoles and their games. I agree that the ps3s launch price is set to be way to expencive and if the hardware isnt relibile then...

E3 orght to shed some light on the revolution hopefully gd news.

Meanwhile ill keep an eye out for 360 killer aps and maybe the expected proce drop.

And dont worry the 'look' is a minor point not what i will judge on!!!

Thanks

Patrick
March 20, 2006 9:39:28 PM

i would go with PS3 basically cause ive always preferred playstaion games, if i bought an xbox i would play halo and erm halo 2 and that would be it. im waiting for the launch of the PS3.

im even considering not getting any of the consoles since i just updated my pc which can pull better games and graphics than either console. i might just stick with my ps2 and buy all the games i can for it when the ps3 comes out cause all the games will be cheap, im happy.
March 25, 2006 4:27:55 AM

Considering the PS3 is not really even close to being launched you may be waiting even longer than expected. They don't even have an HDMI connection working for HD among other technical issues. It definately promises great performance but as it stands now it will cost them in part alone $900.00 which I'm sure they will absorb some of the cost.
The advantage to xbox360 is the online play and MS has released a road map to make it easier for game designers to write cross platform games from PC to 360. And eventually be able to have PC players and 360 players playing in the same online game.
March 29, 2006 8:08:26 PM

All the games we have seen so far for ps3 like killzone and so on were pre - rendered, so expect graphics of the actual ps3 games (especially for launch titles) be on a par with the 360. It could take a while until developers are getting along with the cell processor.

So that's definitely a plus for the 360 besides it's beeing cheaper...

On the plus side of the ps3 however is cell. Its floating point power is a perfect
substitute for ageia's physix chip - something the 360 doesn't have to offer.

I personally prefer the 360, since I was (and still am) a pc games fps player and most of the pc fps are coming to the 360 (fewer to ps3, nothing to revolution...)

And also: Don't forget xbox live arcade! This is something sony won't offer.
April 2, 2006 3:10:21 AM

I would go with the xbox 360 cuz its already out and by the time the ps3 has launched, the 360 will have tons of great games and ps3 will have like 4. If you have the money you should also by the revolution becuase its got some killer apps on the way (click here to see them) and fps will be CrAzY! Bad graphics tho.
April 4, 2006 4:31:14 PM

If you want it know X-box 360 is a very solid choice that is very fun and will come out with some awesome games. But I would have to say that PS3 has a better game line up and if it is anything like PS2 it will have a bigger and better library of games. plus oblivion rules
April 28, 2006 6:49:37 AM

u have to wait till after revo launch...or even a couple months after that.

revo might get more mature games and great online backward library and DS-Revo connection and some other great innovation that Nintendo is famous for doing

ps3 might be$399 according to PSM magazine with a changed controller according to GDC showcase and free online like promised in GDC and BlueRay might take off and might have a performance level that outstrips all others, PSP-PS3 connection

360 might get more 3rd party support and free gaming *the only console that makes players pay to play online* and might get HALO3
May 14, 2006 8:34:58 PM

Get all of them instead of a new PC!

Think about it.

1. Keep PC for surfing, work, etc and spend your next grand on all 3 consoles.

or

2. Spend a grand on your next PC when your current one is good enough for work.

Which gives you more and better gaming?
May 15, 2006 11:27:45 AM

Most of the time you don't need a whole new PC to play the latest games - only a new graphics card. A graphics card doesn't cost $1,000 - more like $300-$400, which is the price someone just quoted for a PS3.

Add to that the fact that PC games are cheaper than console games, and there is a greater variety of games available and the PC starts to edge it. Add-on the fact that certain types of game (FPS, RTS, TBS) are either poor or non-existant on consoles, then I think the PC wins.

Sure, buying a whole new PC is going to cost more than a console, but if you already have a half-decent CPU and memory, then a work machine can be turned into a game machine by sticking a decent 3D graphics cards in it - for about the same price as a console.
May 16, 2006 3:50:28 PM

Quote:
Most of the time you don't need a whole new PC to play the latest games - only a new graphics card. A graphics card doesn't cost $1,000 - more like $300-$400, which is the price someone just quoted for a PS3.

Add to that the fact that PC games are cheaper than console games, and there is a greater variety of games available and the PC starts to edge it. Add-on the fact that certain types of game (FPS, RTS, TBS) are either poor or non-existant on consoles, then I think the PC wins.

Sure, buying a whole new PC is going to cost more than a console, but if you already have a half-decent CPU and memory, then a work machine can be turned into a game machine by sticking a decent 3D graphics cards in it - for about the same price as a console.

I totally agree with you, a 7900GT now cost 300 bucks(No really, its less than 250 bucks if you can find it).
May 16, 2006 3:52:41 PM

Quote:

I totally agree with you, a 7900GT now cost 300 bucks(No really, its less than 250 bucks if you can find it).
May 17, 2006 4:09:09 PM

forget the 360 wait for nontendo any sony. I think Xbox 360 will end up being the bad system this time around with sony's new system ahving better games and nintendos new system being different and intresting. After E3 i am actully wanting a Nintendo Wii more that i want the PS3 now
May 17, 2006 4:39:18 PM

Yup the Wii is gonna be fantastic, I've been a Sony fanboy for god knows how many years, but this time the Wii won me over, I'm definately buying that before the PS3.

Not for anything else, just the back catalogue alone is well worth the money.
May 18, 2006 3:12:36 PM

Life is short, Get a 360 now they are amazing, the developers have gotten a lot better with it and it will be a very long time before something comparable is around. My gut tells me there is more going wrong with the PS3 than is generally known. Sony’s playing for time. They swore up and down they would launch this spring only a month and a half back and then backed out the last second. They had no intention or capability of launching this spring when they said it. The price point they chose could easily cause it to cost 2X times the cost of the 360 if they do a price drop before the holidays. 3 times the likely price of the Wii doesn’t sound very appealing.
May 18, 2006 9:07:31 PM

Yeah the endless PC ports on the 360 really is amazing, and there are so many games other than FPS to choose from! :roll:

The PS3 is just as expensive as any console at launch, price eventually drops to resonable levels. It might seem expensive now but looking at the line up of games to come, it's way more appealing than the whole 360 line up to date. Launch date being pushed back is more a good sign than bad, at least they are not launching a buggy product like MS did with the 360. If you ask me which company I'd trust more? Sony wins hands down.

However Wii is still first choice, playability > all :D 
May 19, 2006 4:08:12 AM

I understand about the ports like quake 4 wasn’t such a good idea. What I have been seeing with the 360 is as developers get more experience with multi threading, multi core systems it's showing in the quality of the games. In the PC world the same thing is happening, that’s why the next windows will have xbox live and games that can be played on the console or the pc. I don't see anyone in the PC world using the cell. The SPE's are essentially what we used to call math coprocessors a few years back. That tech didn't last very long. I recommend you wait until you get some feedback after the PS3 launches, if you have doubts. Why pay double for a system that's about the same games and performance. If Blueray prevails M$ can attach one of those the same as they did the HD DVD. The is 360 upgradeable, scalable, PS3 not so much.
May 19, 2006 5:49:34 AM

So the 360 is essentially turning into a gimped PC. If I wanted to play online games I'd play it with my PC, it's been said again and again that FPS is best played on the PC, yet endless FPS titles are coming out on the 360. I don't care what graphics the game's got, if it sucks it sucks. Games on the 360 lacks playability full stop.

Who would buy a console that overheats to the extend that it crashes? I left my PS2 on for weeks at times playing games like GT4 (B-spec :D ), it merely gets a little warm. I'd imagine if the 360 didn't crash by then, it'd be melted already, possibly taking my house down with it.

What MS did for the console industry was bringing people's attention to focus more on the hardware of the console instead of what it can do. MS are making consoles like a PC, and all we'll see are endless PC ports, they'll never match the games of Nintendo and Sony. Thing is you probably don't realise what you are missing out on, so many titles are Japanese exclusive and the 360 will never see them. Put the hardware aside and you'll realise that the 360 ain't that exciting at all.
May 21, 2006 12:19:08 AM

Dude, these are all PC's, the PS2, Xbox 1, GC don't have heat issues because they aren't very powerful. I have several thousand dollars in my PC and it can play any game that's out there. It gets very hot, its liquid cooled. I use it more for work than play, but I play with it all the time. My 360 has comparable performance at 1/10th the price.
Despite what you may have heard it's quite stable provided you put it in a well ventilated area. PS3 will be no different given its power needs.
Thanks to MS you will have a much larger pool of opponents when you can compete with console or PC gamers on Xbox Live.
With the similarities between the 360 and the PC's that are coming out developers will likely gravitate towards a platform that doesn't force them to work so hard to make different versions for the PC' and consoles. If you build it they will come. As for Japan it seems to be the only place where Xbox doesn’t do well. Maybe it’s like committing treason there, more likely it was the initial lack of any games for the Japanese audience. I don’t know, I live in the U.S. and I am sort of ambivalent about what Japanese gamers prefer. That I have seen western taste in games are somewhat different from Japan.
Of course innovation is important and my hats off the the Wii, for what It will cost I will provably get one just to see what that controller is like.
May 21, 2006 6:09:23 AM

More stable than I think eh? I've seen that thing crash at the demo stand at various game shops and hmvs easily 5 times, I wasn't even there for long all the times I seen it crash. Couple occasions I do hear staff say 'there it goes again' though. A console shouldn't have these heat issues for a start. I put my consoles inside the same stand with my DVD player and satallite reciever, and I do not have plans to have to put it out in the open with a couple of fans blowing into it.

I'll never play a PC game on a console, and vice versa. Most good titles out on the xbox are FPS titles, FPS sucks with a joypad. It defeats the whole console concept if I have to play the games with a mouse and keyboard.

That's why US people see the 360 as such a huge thing, they can play these sports sims, fps and stuff like GTA all day long. It's repetitave gameplay, old concepts and lacks playability in all degrees. It's no news though, I can't remember the last time a game came out in the US and gave me a surprise.
May 22, 2006 2:44:09 AM

I wouldn't judge by how it behaves when placed inside a plastic bubble, that’s just a bad idea for any piece of electronics. The current state of the art in chip design has reached its thermal limits with air cooling. That's just the way it will be for all the high end cpu designs for the foreseeable future. There are millions of gamers with just as many preferences in what they play and how. Microsoft seems to be attempting to give us more choices. When you can play whatever you want on whatever you want we consumers will have won the console wars. Until then it's the lesser of three evils.
May 22, 2006 4:51:45 PM

I'm sure it's hard to cool a console in an air conditioned shop with fans at the side and underneath the display box. Ever seen consoles crash at demo boxes prior to the 360? It's having it's problems just leaving the console in room temperature at home anyway. If there are problems with the cooling of the chip then simply don't launch it until you know a sure way to cool it or use something else. Buying a product that doesn't work properly? Great! It is MS afterall, it wouldn't be right if it comes bug free.

It's been 6 months since 360 launched, I don't see it showing me any choice at all. In fact it's lacking so badly in choice it's given me no reason to purchase the console.

Until Wii is out, I'll stick to my PS2 tyvm.
June 10, 2006 3:41:32 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it's hard to cool a console in an air conditioned shop with fans at the side and underneath the display box. Ever seen consoles crash at demo boxes prior to the 360? It's having it's problems just leaving the console in room temperature at home anyway. If there are problems with the cooling of the chip then simply don't launch it until you know a sure way to cool it or use something else. Buying a product that doesn't work properly? Great! It is MS afterall, it wouldn't be right if it comes bug free.

It's been 6 months since 360 launched, I don't see it showing me any choice at all. In fact it's lacking so badly in choice it's given me no reason to purchase the console.

Until Wii is out, I'll stick to my PS2 tyvm.
PS2 is teh sux.
June 10, 2006 6:40:03 PM

Well I got every console that is out but I would go for the PS3 as well. Lots of features like old games, emulators and able to play PS and PS2 games as well. Also there are many games that are coming out for PS3 and some of it as just amazing with all the graphics and other visual effects showing the powerful muscle of PS3 rendering house.
June 12, 2006 12:29:22 AM

About the Ps3 horse power if the PS3 GPU has the same arquitechture(I don't know if I write it perfectly but who cares) of an 7800GTX and the 360 uses the same one(arquitechture) of an 1900XTor XTX (I still don't know) and the 360 has 48 pixel shader(search in xbox.com and see the specs) Shouldn't the 360 beat the PS3 althougth the PS3 GPU get's help from it's CPU but well I don't know but tell me if I have something rigth..
June 12, 2006 1:06:34 AM

I don't know and I can't answer your question, sorry but one thing for sure we'll find out when PS3 hit the shelves by the end of this year. :wink:
June 13, 2006 12:30:27 AM

Quote:
About the Ps3 horse power if the PS3 GPU has the same arquitechture(I don't know if I write it perfectly but who cares) of an 7800GTX and the 360 uses the same one(arquitechture) of an 1900XTor XTX (I still don't know) and the 360 has 48 pixel shader(search in xbox.com and see the specs) Shouldn't the 360 beat the PS3 althougth the PS3 GPU get's help from it's CPU but well I don't know but tell me if I have something rigth..

personnally couldnt care less bout the graphical capabilities of the console i want great games(ps1(upwards)) not great graphics and sport games(xbox/DC/360) they all failed why? cause there games sucked ass. i really do see the 360 killing itself through lack of games i was in GAME, and HIV the other day and the selection of games hasnt really changed since launch.
June 13, 2006 12:42:55 AM

The good games will be coming when the PS3 arrives if you look at Game SpotAll the good games are coming between November and Holiday's.
June 13, 2006 1:33:59 PM

personally a Wii because i want some new and interesting games to play and im sick of playing the same, tired old format gamers that are just graphic based.
also due to being free online is cool.

ps3 is just an overpriced blueray machine that sony say we are getting cheap and should consider ourselves lucky.
cheeky bastards

game designers say the ps3 is hard to code for ande they are getting little support
June 13, 2006 1:47:29 PM

I'm definitely gonna go for Wii, and prolly gonna get PS3 10 years later.
June 15, 2006 12:42:50 AM

already have my 360, have 900 dollars on me so as soon as some preorders are available ill preorder my wii, and ps3
June 21, 2006 12:17:37 PM

arent you worried that the games for the wii are going to be a little 'young'?
June 21, 2006 6:33:09 PM

Just out of interest how many people are planning on buying a ps3?
June 30, 2006 8:48:25 AM

The problem I have is all the games I will want will most likely be PS3 exclusives, with the exception of GTA which seems to be cross platform now. I really can not be with out a PS3 with that in mind. But don't get me wrong I am not biased, I have a 360 but I am sorry to say it has not done much good other than acting as a cheap upgrade from my PC. As it seems all the games at the moment that are worth buying are all out for the PC anyway... they also cost £20 more per game lol

So to be honest if you want a totally different gaming experience from the PC I would go for the PS3. As the 360 will just end up collecting dust like my one, only to be blown off when they creat a chip that will make it in to a home theater PC like the old Xbox was (the only real reason I got the first Xbox as well).
!