Is Sprint a better option? Dumb question from a newbie.

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 16, 2004 11:40:06 AM

Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
their customers to roam on each others network. If this is true, why
wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
unlimited roaming. What am I missing?

In case you are wondering...why this questions being asked:

- Sprint has better selection of phones and better pricing on their
plans.
- Verizon has a better phone network/coverage (at least in the Metro
DC area).

If I can get a better phone & plan from Sprint and get the same level
of coverage as Verizon, why would I'll get Sprint. But I'm guessing
that I am missing something.

Also, on the Sprint phones, when using your cell phone as a modem on a
laptop (DC area), what types of connection speeds are you getting?

TIA
Ron
April 16, 2004 3:05:44 PM

ron wrote:

> Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
> customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
> I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
> their customers to roam on each others network. If this is true, why
> wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
> unlimited roaming. What am I missing?

FWIW, Consumer Reports gives Vz's overall satisfaction in the DC
area as 74, Sprint's as 60. 2/04 issue.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:23:48 PM

pb_public@operamail.com (pb) wrote in

> ron wrote:
>
>> Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
>> customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage
>> where I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint
>> allow their customers to roam on each others network. If this is
>> true, why wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that
>> would allow unlimited roaming. What am I missing?
>
> FWIW, Consumer Reports gives Vz's overall satisfaction in the DC
> area as 74, Sprint's as 60. 2/04 issue.

Is the "satisfaction" based on network performance or customer
service?

I dropped Sprint a few years ago in a fit of pique over some really
stupid account-related issues. So far Verizon has been OK, although
they sent me a bill this month even though I have automatic credit
card payment. The CSR told me to just "ignore" the bill, but I think
I'll still keep an eye on both my Verizon and credit card accounts
'til the dust settles.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@visi.com
April 16, 2004 11:55:03 PM

Some time around 16 Apr 2004 07:40:06 -0700 (give or take a month), someone who says they are named
ron_mase@yahoo.com (ron) fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled on about:

>wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
>unlimited roaming. What am I missing?

Two people I know in South Florida had Sprint. Hated it. No signal was the biggest problem. One
of these people traveled a lot and had the problem through out the U.S.

-W
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:32:15 AM

On 16 Apr 2004 07:40:06 -0700, ron_mase@yahoo.com (ron) wrote:

>Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
>customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
>I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
>their customers to roam on each others network. If this is true, why
>wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
>unlimited roaming. What am I missing?

>Ron

Having been a Sprint and now Verizon customer in the northeast I am
much happier with Verizon. With Sprint I was constantly looking at my
phone to see if it had a signal. In general Verizon will work better
indoors .

While I am not sure about Sprint to Verizon roaming, Verizon to Sprint
roaming is almost non existent in the northeast. The reason being
Verizon's coverage is very extensive.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 1:59:32 AM

- Both can be good. Each one loses data access when roaming on the other.
i.e. For me, Verizon has native service at a location I desire data
access. A sprint phone would roam there but there's no data when roaming.
- Verizon effectively has "free" data if you get the national access feature
(should be added by default to AC plans). This lets you use unlimited
nights and weekend minutes for data.
- Cost of Verizon family plan is lower in my case than sprint. Even at $15
for their data option, it's still more expensive given that Verizon lets me
use my minutes for voice or data.
- I tested a sprint phone for a period of time. The weird thing that I
didn't expect regarding their free roaming is that I seemed to often get
into a building with too weak a signal as to be usable, but the phone would
not automatically roam over to Verizon which does have good signal in the
same location.
- Here in Eugene Oregon (and yes it's hard to believe) Verizon is over-sold.
With ever increasing frequency I get "all circuits are busy" -- seems to be
a virtual guarentee if I try to call anyone at the noon or 5pm hour. How
this is possible, given the size of Eugene Oregon, I do not know, but it
certainly is the case. This literally never happens in the same area with
Sprint -- which is apparently much less popular around here.
- I really like Verizon's customer service. They've always been as good to
me as they can, and in most all cases addressed my concerns. I also do not
wait on hold to reach them. This is important to me.
- Sprint's likely going to have better phone selection, although I note that
Verizon's current selection is quite large (not in types of phones, but in
raw number of models).
- Voice and data between Sprint and Verizon is very likely similar in that
they both use CDMA and 1xRTT technologies. Sprint will have weaker building
penetration at 1900mhz vs. Verizon 800mhz in many markets.
- Roaming is *not* seemless, but does work for basic voice calls. I
recommend generally chosing the one with more native coverage where you use
your phone for best quality of service.

One final note, at the moment I'd seriously consider an AT&T national plan
with 650 peak minutes, and unlimited off peak for $39.99. They seem to have
added cingular coverage without any additional fees, and plan to include
free nationwide roaming giving them a coverage map similar to AC. They also
allow data access (for a fee) but rumor has it they will not bill a higher
rate for roaming data access. That bluetooth enabled SE T616 coupled with
the Sony Clie with both bluetooth and 802.11 is pretty darn cool.

-Dan

PS: Rumor has it the current national plans (except charter plans) will
inherit the better coverage area and keep the same number of minutes. New
plans which should be announced tomorrow also include larger coverage area
(no roaming) but only 450 minutes for $39.95. Part of this AT&T information
is from the rumor mill and cannot yet be confirmed, see the threads in
alt.cellular.attws to see where they come from. The no roaming part is a
real thing, which has been released to the press.

"ron" <ron_mase@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
> customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
> I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
> their customers to roam on each others network. If this is true, why
> wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
> unlimited roaming. What am I missing?
>
> In case you are wondering...why this questions being asked:
>
> - Sprint has better selection of phones and better pricing on their
> plans.
> - Verizon has a better phone network/coverage (at least in the Metro
> DC area).
>
> If I can get a better phone & plan from Sprint and get the same level
> of coverage as Verizon, why would I'll get Sprint. But I'm guessing
> that I am missing something.
>
> Also, on the Sprint phones, when using your cell phone as a modem on a
> laptop (DC area), what types of connection speeds are you getting?
>
> TIA
> Ron
April 17, 2004 2:47:38 AM

Bert Hyman wrote:

> Is the "satisfaction" based on network performance or customer
> service?

I don't have the entire article here, but it seems to be weighted
toward physical issues - No service, dropped calls, static,
circuits full.

pb
April 17, 2004 5:38:33 PM

On 16 Apr 2004 07:40:06 -0700, ron_mase@yahoo.com (ron) wrote:

>Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
>customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
>I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
>their customers to roam on each others network. If this is true, why
>wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
>unlimited roaming. What am I missing?
>
>In case you are wondering...why this questions being asked:
>
>- Sprint has better selection of phones and better pricing on their
>plans.
>- Verizon has a better phone network/coverage (at least in the Metro
>DC area).
>
>If I can get a better phone & plan from Sprint and get the same level
>of coverage as Verizon, why would I'll get Sprint. But I'm guessing
>that I am missing something.
>
>Also, on the Sprint phones, when using your cell phone as a modem on a
>laptop (DC area), what types of connection speeds are you getting?

Roaming agreements between vendors do not apply when the source vendor
has coverage in the area you are in... you will always have to use the
Sprint network if Sprint has 'coverage' in the area, even if you can't
get a quality signal. Your phone will not switch to Verizon.

On of the reasons Verizon does not have as wide a selection of phones
as some of the other vendors is Verizon will not sell a phone that
does not meet it's quality standards. Many don't... but other vendors
will still sell them... hummmmm...

In the DC area Verizon offers a high speed data service that is as
fast as DSL. (Dump your cable modem and use Verizon!) Check the recent
wall street journal article for details (if you subscribe to the WSJ
site...). Unlimited all you can use service is currently $80. Care
can give you the details. Other plans with lower rates and limits are
also available.

When outside of DC, your data coverage would default to the medium
speed data service that is still faster than dial-up on landlines.

The low speed (same as dial-up) service is being phased out as the
medium speed service is almost universally available on the network
and costs the same, as I remember it.

Notice the rate of innovation of the wireless industry, especially
Verizon Wireless, is a lot higher than landline... how long did it
take landline companies to roll out DSL? '-)
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 6:33:29 PM

On 16 Apr 2004 07:40:06 -0700, ron wrote:

> Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
> customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
> I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
> their customers to roam on each others network. If this is true, why
> wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
> unlimited roaming. What am I missing?
>
> In case you are wondering...why this questions being asked:
>
> - Sprint has better selection of phones and better pricing on their
> plans.
> - Verizon has a better phone network/coverage (at least in the Metro
> DC area).
>
> If I can get a better phone & plan from Sprint and get the same level
> of coverage as Verizon, why would I'll get Sprint. But I'm guessing
> that I am missing something.
>
> Also, on the Sprint phones, when using your cell phone as a modem on a
> laptop (DC area), what types of connection speeds are you getting?
>
> TIA
> Ron

A lot depends on whether you travel or not. Verizon has far better coverage
in most of the US and Canada (roaming partners).
!