• the new iPOD video?
  • 20 %
  • the new MS/sammy origami?
  • 0 %
  • MS 360 EXO?
  • 80 %
March 13, 2006 11:49:51 PM

http://forums.xbox.com/2974759/ShowPost.aspx#2974759

for those of you who saw the other post first... sorry to double post.

basically i'm in the market for a handheld. something to replace my mp3 walkman and books.

but

PSP, is underpowered and lacks adequate resolution for movies to be enjoyable on the go. Would be nice if it had more games that i liked too.

iPOD is far to expensive and not nearly versatile enough. Though iTUNES plus video seems exactly the sort of thing MS should have in store for windows VIsta and xbox live marketplace.

DS, also lacking in the media department, and power.. resolution isn't even a factor with something from nintendo...

as for origami, it may displace laptops for some people but... even with claims that such UMPCs will run VIsta.. it will be a stripped down version. without enough RAM or a powerful enough GPU attached origami.. or even some lower end laptops will not be powerful enough for VIsta.

that being said, MS does need a handheld to fill out the xbox ecosystem, as long as its somewhere between EXO and origami i'll be happy.

More about : handheld

March 14, 2006 5:33:10 AM

Quote:
PSP, is underpowered and lacks adequate resolution for movies to be enjoyable on the go. Would be nice if it had more games that i liked too.

How did you come to your conclusion? I use the PSP for watching movies quite a lot and it perfectly suits my needs. Also, the resolution of the screen is higher than the iPOD (last time I checked the iPOD video specs).

Processing power is more of an issue with games than it is for watching movies, but even in that department I'm not complaining. The current games do not even use the full processing power of the PSP yet.
May 2, 2006 11:23:19 PM

Conclusion? He probably believes everything he reads.
Related resources
May 3, 2006 2:57:21 PM

I don't know what the original poster is smoking, but the PSP rocks. The resolution is great for movies, what are you looking for, HD?
May 4, 2006 6:42:47 AM

My conclusions about PSP were based on other portable devices having at least 640x480 resolution. even some cell phones have 640x480 resolution. psps resolution is too small and its gfx performance not adequate for even ps2 level gaming.. though thats really another issue.

i'll continue biting.. 333mhz cpu os trash, when there are 1ghz + mobile processors, and that doesn't even include power efficient transmeta processors. to say that psp doesn't even use 333mhz is proving my point for me. with at least a ghz of processing power a handheld can exceed xbox level performance.. battery life notwithstanding.

--

as i stated i'm not looking for much or HD

unless you mean HD for handhelds.

what i'm looking for is 640x360 resolution in a handheld with a wide enough screen to watch movies on. they doesn't have to be super high res, just TV resolution VGA, and wide aspect for movies instead of bars (meaning 4:3 aspect would have verticle bars).

since starting this topic, actually about a week or two later rumours started spreading that jallard and company are working on whats being called the Xplayer.

whatever they build i'll probably buy unless PSP2 comes along first. and satisfies more than a few of the things i've suggested for EXO/Xplayer.

--

i don't smoke anything stronger than fog or drink anything stronger than water FYI.
May 9, 2006 6:35:41 AM

I have no idea how you'd think the PSP screen is not good enough for movies. It replaced my portable DVD player easily as it plays movies, games, mp3s and wireless internet.

Screen is bright, and large enough to view movies, anime, even football highlights. As for games, don't know what kind of games you are into, I only ever bough 2 games for the PSP since I got it last september and I@m still playing them everyday, namely puyo puyo and lumines, where the latter's playability even beats classics like tetris.

If you only want to watch movies, get a DVD player, want handheld gaming then NDS probably got better range of games etc etc. You know what, if you want the best of everything get one of those small vaio notebooks. Few years later there might be something out that's good for everything, at the moment PSP is probably the most versatile handheld out there and imho the best.

Oh I nearly forgot with firmware 2.7 I now download a bunch of free flash games and play it on the PSP, if all that ain't good enough for you get something else, and pick one of those over heating 360 up while you are ta it.
May 15, 2006 12:30:12 PM

Let's put this topic to good use: Care to share some links to those online flash games that actually play well on the PSP?
May 16, 2006 12:43:54 AM

LOL bigmac :lol: 

There are way too many flash games out there, most play really well on the PSP. What kind of games are you into? If you don't mind the games being in japanese/korean there are tons of well made flash games from Japan/Korea that I know of. Give me examples and I'll link whatever I can find here 8)
May 22, 2006 5:49:55 PM

Quote:
LOL bigmac :lol: 

There are way too many flash games out there, most play really well on the PSP. What kind of games are you into? If you don't mind the games being in japanese/korean there are tons of well made flash games from Japan/Korea that I know of. Give me examples and I'll link whatever I can find here 8)

A nice sudoko or a katamari puzzle game would do. Those that I know, are too big to display and play well on the PSP.
October 5, 2006 4:07:58 AM

The PSP is an amazing piece of machinery. Movies play flawlessly, and can easily outperform most 640x480 PVPs. Although I eventually sold my PSP for a Nintendo DS (I wasn't a fan of the PSP games), it worked great for movies and music. There are also a few other things you can do with a nice sized memory stick ;) 

If you're looking for something more music/movie orientated, I'd recommend an ARCHOS AV500 portable DVR. It has a 30GB HDD, and plays movies in absolutely amazing quality. If gaming is your thing, then go for a DS. If you want a little of both, then go for a PSP. It's as simple as that.
October 6, 2006 10:53:49 AM

Quote:
If you're looking for something more music/movie orientated, I'd recommend an ARCHOS AV500 portable DVR. It has a 30GB HDD, and plays movies in absolutely amazing quality. If gaming is your thing, then go for a DS. If you want a little of both, then go for a PSP. It's as simple as that.

A fair assessment I guess. Personally I like my PSP games but there isn't a lot of choice. It's good enough for me though. But indeed, I use my PSP a lot for watching movies, not just on the road but also for convenience around the home.

The ARCHOS looks like a nice machine but it's way too expensive for its limited usage (watching movies and pics): pricetag starts(!) at a €400 pricetag over here, which is more than $500. The nicely sized HD is a big plus but I'm wondering what its battery life will be? They claim its about 4.5 hours which isnt that good.
October 6, 2006 1:46:19 PM

I can get up to 6 hours of video, and around 15 of audio on mine. It's about $350 in the US, so you'd be better ordering it and having it shipped. I wouldn't recommend this if you already have a PSP though, unless you never used it like I did. I hadn't touched my PSP in almost 4 months, and so I sold it. I used the money (and a little of my own) to buy an AV500 and a DS Lite, and I'm content with both.

Still, each has different tastes. I prefer having the DS for games and the AV500 for movies, but most people prefer to have it in one package.
February 23, 2007 12:18:00 PM

I'd rather burn my eyes out then buy a MS handheld.
February 26, 2007 4:34:46 AM

I've read that the creative zen vision: m is supposed be a really good music player and it also plays movies. Now I haven't had experience with it ( too much money and don't really watch movies on the go) but from the reviews I have read it seems like a really good player for the money. Now if like playing games and watching movies and listening to music then the psp seems the way to go.
April 17, 2007 9:41:16 PM

by the appearance of it, some might break it over their leg by the sheer size of it according to the artists depiction of it being longer than the psp...
January 5, 2009 1:34:24 AM

i don't think they could compete with the nintendo DS or psp who would easily destroy the microsoft competion, maybe they when nintendo and sony come out with there new handhelds, but then the ms xbox handheld would have to compete with people who owned the successor of the psp and ds wanted the new one

however MS did it with the xbox and xbox 360 so they could pull it off
!