remote assistance problem

ok here is the problem I can have people conect to me but when thay want me
to look at there computer it says some like unable to resalve host name or
something like that and wont let me conncet to them.. but if I ask for help
from the thay can get right in what do I do
5 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance problem

    Yes...I'm looking for the solution to the exact problem! Please help!!!

    "Jacob" wrote:

    > ok here is the problem I can have people conect to me but when thay want me
    > to look at there computer it says some like unable to resalve host name or
    > something like that and wont let me conncet to them.. but if I ask for help
    > from the thay can get right in what do I do

    Greetings Jacob,

    This error simply means that you're unable to connect to your contact. Are they using a
    router or anything similar? If so, they may be using a router without Universal Plug and
    Play (UPnP) support/enabled in which case Remote Assistance will not work through it.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok here is the problem I can have people conect to me but when thay want me
    > to look at there computer it says some like unable to resalve host name or
    > something like that and wont let me conncet to them.. but if I ask for help
    > from the thay can get right in what do I do

    Hi Jonathan,

    Thanks! In our case, both computers are behind wireless routers. I just
    checked the "expert's" router and UPnP was not enabled. I won't be able to
    test it until later...Does UPnP need to be enabled on the novice's router as
    well? Does Windows XP have to be configured for UPnP also?

    Does the UPnP configuration explain the situation that one expert can
    connect to the novice but another expert can't?

    Thanks again for your help!

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Jacob,
    >
    > This error simply means that you're unable to connect to your contact. Are they using a
    > router or anything similar? If so, they may be using a router without Universal Plug and
    > Play (UPnP) support/enabled in which case Remote Assistance will not work through it.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ok here is the problem I can have people conect to me but when thay want me
    > > to look at there computer it says some like unable to resalve host name or
    > > something like that and wont let me conncet to them.. but if I ask for help
    > > from the thay can get right in what do I do

    This might not be your case, since you said you had wireless routers
    in the mix. However, 99% of the time that I get "hostname" problem
    when trying to connect to friend's machine is when they have Zone
    Alarm or another firewall running (it's nearly always Zone Alarm
    though). So you might want to check if the person you are trying to do
    remote assistance with has Zone Alarm running, if they do, get them to
    turn it off while you're trying to connect to them for remote
    assistance and it should connect.

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:42:02 -0700, "Anyone please help!"
    <Anyonepleasehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Jonathan,
    >
    >Thanks! In our case, both computers are behind wireless routers. I just
    >checked the "expert's" router and UPnP was not enabled. I won't be able to
    >test it until later...Does UPnP need to be enabled on the novice's router as
    >well? Does Windows XP have to be configured for UPnP also?
    >
    >Does the UPnP configuration explain the situation that one expert can
    >connect to the novice but another expert can't?
    >
    >Thanks again for your help!
    >
    >"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Jacob,
    >>
    >> This error simply means that you're unable to connect to your contact. Are they using a
    >> router or anything similar? If so, they may be using a router without Universal Plug and
    >> Play (UPnP) support/enabled in which case Remote Assistance will not work through it.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > ok here is the problem I can have people conect to me but when thay want me
    >> > to look at there computer it says some like unable to resalve host name or
    >> > something like that and wont let me conncet to them.. but if I ask for help
    >> > from the thay can get right in what do I do

    Anyone please help! -
    news:4235A4C6-EE03-42CD-B9D0-33DAAE8AEA3A@microsoft.com :

    > Does UPnP need to be enabled on the
    > novice's router as well? Does Windows XP have to be configured for
    > UPnP also?
    >
    > Does the UPnP configuration explain the situation that one expert can
    > connect to the novice but another expert can't?

    Maybe UPnP helps, I don't know, but it's not mandatory.
    I use remote assistance (as an expert or as a novice) behind a non-UPnP
    router, and everything works fine.

Microsoft Windows XP