how can i fix error 80048820 on my msn messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

please somebody help me out, I'm not able to sign in to my msn in this
computer in others work with no problem. pls help me

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings,

Since you can't immediately login, remember that you can try logging into the Web Messenger,
at least until you can restore your normal Messenger functionality:
http://webmessenger.msn.com

However, here are some suggestions you should check/try if you haven't already.

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
the time and date are set.
2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the
correct case (uppercase or lowercase).
3. Change your password @ https://login.passport.com/ChangePW.srf to
something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.
4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ), it's possible
that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet, especially since you
upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall
if this is the case.
5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking Messenger -- try
restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try uninstalling an
installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is disabled).
6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the
Delete Cookies button.
7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL
3.0' is checked, then click OK.
8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
then click OK
and do the same for the following:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"andrea" <andrea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5DAA9D37-50E4-4EF1-8329-F05F69116494@microsoft.com...
> please somebody help me out, I'm not able to sign in to my msn in this
> computer in others work with no problem. pls help me

Alex123

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
:arrow:Register softpub.dll using the regsvr32.exe tool.

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regsvr32 softpub.dll and then click OK.
Restart MSN Messenger.
Then turn off your computer and turn it back on!!! 8) :twisted:

EnglishPanda

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
AHH! Same problem since i got my new router and receiver i've had it. I really need someones help on this, i've done everything you said infact im pretty good at usually figuring out these kind of problems but i just can't crakc this one. Please i really need your help!

pucela

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Hello,

Since I installed my new modem, some applications are not working properly. One of them is MSN messenger 7.5; I cannot sign in (error 80048820). Others are with Outlook: I cannot send messages but I can receive them; or with Internet Explorer: I cannot load photos on my Gphoto.com page.

In my case the problems dissappear if I turn off my Symantec Personal Firewall, or if I set it to "Allow all" traffic. So I think it is a problem with the firewall, but I cannot solve it. I have reinstalled the MSN messenger, and the SPF firewall, but to no avail. All of them (MSN messenger, Outlook and Internet Explorer) have of course permission to access the network and work without further problems than those mentioned.

I am not an expert, but I have checked the traffic log of my firewall and there is always a blocked input with no associated application when MSN cannot sign in.

I hope this can give a clue to somebody more experienced than me (please ask if you need further details). As for myself, I turn off the firewall every time I want to use MSN messenger, and then I turn it on again, but I guess I will end up by deinstalling it...

Best regards to all of you,

Pucela

Diddi

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
HEY man, i only registered to reply and say; THANK YOU MAN! Your first appearantly simple solution;
"]
1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
to the msn problem that i have been struggling with for a hours on end, was something i completely overlooked!!
this computer is my friends computer and this problem has been a headache for weeks there!

U probably saved me a few hours of swimming in pointless circles around this bug, until i eventually would have accidentally set the time right...
But mind i ask; WHY can one not log onto msn messenger with the wrong date? How can that possibly make a difference? Suppose it has to do with all the date/time based functions that tell you when you recieved certain IM's and such and such. Still shouldn't prevent you from overall logging in, it's too absurd!

Anyway, thanks again, i don't plan to waste all the extra time you have given to me on thanking you (no offense).
Cheerios and muchas gracias ;)

shaun0505

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I don't know about hours, I've been looking for a solution for months!

I've had this problem since January 2005, and I've tried everything. I've tried

a) making sure the date is set correctly

b) the password info was correct

c) made firewall unblock msn

d) cache has been cleared and cookies deleted plenty of times

e) I've checked my IE Security settings

and after all that theres still no log in.

If anyone can help me that would be fantastic.

Anyways thanks

IGotTheMondays

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I don't know about hours, I've been looking for a solution for months!

I've had this problem since January 2005, and I've tried everything. I've tried

a) making sure the date is set correctly

b) the password info was correct

c) made firewall unblock msn

d) cache has been cleared and cookies deleted plenty of times

e) I've checked my IE Security settings

and after all that theres still no log in.

If anyone can help me that would be fantastic.

Anyways thanks

Upgrade to Windows Live Messenger, maybe that will fix your problems.

fierce1989

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I found out that this error code refers to a driver that is not instales correctly (me it was a sound card) my msn wouldn't work and had that error code i removed the sound card from my computer re-installed msn messenger and it works fine now i hope this might help a lot of users that has this error code i went to my friend house that had the same error code and checked the device manager his webcam wasn't listed, shutted down the computer unplugged the webcam then re-started it and msn worked + hotmail and other sites that weren't before

i'm really happy if it helps anyone else and i keep on looking for other unsolved errors in windows

LordLiverpool

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I had a similar if not identical problem after my ISP upgraded me to ADSL 2, which involved changing protocols from RFC1493 to PPPoA. They sent me a new router to go with the change, but initially I stuck with my existing router because I was a bit lazy about having to set the new one up. However, I noticed certain things didn't work properly - it was impossible to log in to Messenger and nigh on impossible to log in to eBay.

Anyhow, changing to the new router as instructed sorted it. The moral of the story - make sure your router/modem is compatible with PPPoA/ADSL2 if you have it.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
http://www.mybilgisayar.net/Live-News-64-error-80048820-you-cannot-sign-in-to-windows-live-messenger/

it worked for me :D

it can be a problem of proxy server, date and time, firewall, internet security settings or registering the ssl security libraries. all solutions are there :)

eez5

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
:arrow:Register softpub.dll using the regsvr32.exe tool.

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regsvr32 softpub.dll and then click OK.
Restart MSN Messenger.
Then turn off your computer and turn it back on!!! 8) :twisted:

this did the work for me.. thanks mate!

Dark3r

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I have had this problem with the error code for live messenger for quite a few days. It started after I installed my new d-link DI-524 wireless router, wirelessly connected PC's have also had this problem. I have tried many of the solutions listed above but none seem to work. Any suggestions?

parislee

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Internet Explorer / Tools / Internet Options /

Connections / LAN Settings /

Uncheck the "Use a proxy server for your LAN..." box

AlexGreece

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Hello.. i'm having the same problems with Windows Live Messenger

It says: We were unable to sign you into Windows Live Messenger at this time,please try again later.

Windows Live Messenger has made several failed attempts to sign you in.Your firewall may be blocking Windows Live Messenger from connecting to the service.Please review your firewall settings.

Error code: 80048820
Extended error code: 80048412

But i DONT have any firewall install in the PC,i reinstall the Messenger again the same error,i also FORMAT the PC and again the same error.

Can anyone help me please? Thnx a lot!

MSN_Expert

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Hey guys. This method worked for me:

Check out if you're using a proxy connection. Go to Internet Explorer, then click Tools, Internet Options, click Connections and then click LAN Settings. UNTICK the Use a proxy server for your lan.

dubsdj

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Well none of that worked for me. Vista users try disabling ssl 3.0 and 2.0

Its in the advanced settings of IE

worked for me

personally I hate vista and msn live, its just a pain in the @$$

DTeCH_2K8

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
:bounce: Change your password.

Try to login with your new password.

Nothing else worked for me.

I did not forget my password.
(How else would I have been able to log in & read my e-mail's reset PW instructions) :D

All else is a waste of time. (at least for me) :pfff:

Because of R.A.T.S (Remote AdminisTration Software... Trojan), or some other type of virus, someone may have tried to login to your account, & change your PW with some type of red flag triggering. This may have caused MS to temporarily ban some of your account credentials.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]
...3. Change your password @ https://login.passport.com/ChangePW.srf to
something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again...
I simply changed the password. (It is now 11 chars) :pt1cable:

I also had the Host file problem...
Leave your host file alone. It is not that... unless you have actually assigned msn.com or other truly needed address to resolve to 127.0.0.1.

I have several in my host file... like: msnm.com, & mnsn.com, which are common typos that malicious scrip distributors buy out. When ever you un-intentionally land there, 9 times out of 10, you get infected.

Just make sure that msn.com, hotmail.com, & live.com (to name a few) are not in the host file resolving to 127.0.0.1.

If they are not there, then leave your host file alone, & simply change your password.
MSN has built in handlers for proxies. (I think) :sarcastic:

Status
Not open for further replies.