CPU temp for Dimension 3000

I have a Dimension 3000 (2.8 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) that I have installed
Windows 2000 Advanced Server on -- yes, it's going to become a server.

Since I actually have to move the motherboard into a bigger case to
install more disk drives, I have to replace the stock heatsink/fan. The
factory one uses a fan that's mounted to the inside of the back of the
case.

I want to check the CPU temperature before and after this. But I can't
find any CPU temp monitoring software that will work. I usually use
SiSoft Sandra for this, but its motherboard page doesn't show any CPU
temps for this system.

Intel's Active Monitor, the version for 865 motherboards, doesn't finish
the install. InstallShield hangs and uses 100% CPU until I kill the
process -- it might not be set up for Windows 2000 Server. I tried this
more than once.

None of these programs can find the CPU temperature sensors; they all
find the hard drive temperature sensor though:

SpeedFan
Lavalys Everest
Motherboard Monitor (MBM5 from livewiredev)
and it seems like I tried another one or two, with the same results.

Is there something odd about Dell's implementation of the Intel 865
chipset-based Dimension 3000 motherboard that makes all the programs
fail to see the CPU temperature sensor? The BIOS doesn't have one
either.

Thanks for any leads.

David Walker
4 answers Last reply
More about temp dimension 3000

    The Dimension line does not include tempature monitors. It's been discussed
    here about once a month for the last 5 years.

    Tom
    "DWalker" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dimension 3000 (2.8 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) that I have installed
    > Windows 2000 Advanced Server on -- yes, it's going to become a server.
    >
    > Since I actually have to move the motherboard into a bigger case to
    > install more disk drives, I have to replace the stock heatsink/fan. The
    > factory one uses a fan that's mounted to the inside of the back of the
    > case.
    >
    > I want to check the CPU temperature before and after this. But I can't
    > find any CPU temp monitoring software that will work. I usually use
    > SiSoft Sandra for this, but its motherboard page doesn't show any CPU
    > temps for this system.
    >
    > Intel's Active Monitor, the version for 865 motherboards, doesn't finish
    > the install. InstallShield hangs and uses 100% CPU until I kill the
    > process -- it might not be set up for Windows 2000 Server. I tried this
    > more than once.
    >
    > None of these programs can find the CPU temperature sensors; they all
    > find the hard drive temperature sensor though:
    >
    > SpeedFan
    > Lavalys Everest
    > Motherboard Monitor (MBM5 from livewiredev)
    > and it seems like I tried another one or two, with the same results.
    >
    > Is there something odd about Dell's implementation of the Intel 865
    > chipset-based Dimension 3000 motherboard that makes all the programs
    > fail to see the CPU temperature sensor? The BIOS doesn't have one
    > either.
    >
    > Thanks for any leads.
    >
    > David Walker

    what larger case works with the proprietary front panel connector of the
    dimension 3000 motherboard?
    in other words, i don't think you are moving the motherboard anywhere... at
    least not to a case where the power button would work... so be sure to set
    the bios to power on the machine after power is restored or you won't be
    able to turn on the machine in the new larger case. alternatively you could
    just install additional drives in the two external drive bays and connect
    your tape back up device via a usb port (being a server i assume you have a
    tape backup device someplace).

    "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

    > what larger case works with the proprietary front panel connector of
    > the dimension 3000 motherboard?
    > in other words, i don't think you are moving the motherboard
    > anywhere... at least not to a case where the power button would
    > work... so be sure to set the bios to power on the machine after power
    > is restored or you won't be able to turn on the machine in the new
    > larger case. alternatively you could just install additional drives
    > in the two external drive bays and connect your tape back up device
    > via a usb port (being a server i assume you have a tape backup device
    > someplace).

    You're right, those non-standard connectors might be a problem. I might
    end up keeping this as a regular computer and buying a new
    motherboard/processor to put in the larger server case. We'll see...

    Still, it might be nice to see the CPU temperature somehow.

    David
  4. i'll save you some troble, those sensors won't work with windows 2k, try putting xp on a tiny drive, and use it to monitor temps. i have the same problem with a dimension 4600

Dell CPUs Motherboards Dimension Computers