Personal VPN recommendations for public hotspots?

bill

Can anyone recommend a browser based or software based personal VPN
that I could use when surfing the internet in public hotspots?

Yes, I know "dont check email or access your secure data" however this
kinda defeats the purpose of having Wi-Fi capability and convenience
at Starbucks or the local airport terminal.

I want to be able to SECURELY do this via VPN or similar device.

Thanks!

On 17 Jul 2004 22:22:21 -0700, billpritjr@spamhole.com (Bill) wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a browser based or software based personal VPN
>that I could use when surfing the internet in public hotspots?
>
>Yes, I know "dont check email or access your secure data" however this
>kinda defeats the purpose of having Wi-Fi capability and convenience
>at Starbucks or the local airport terminal.
>
>I want to be able to SECURELY do this via VPN or similar device.

Well, the problem with any secure tunnel or encryption scheme is that
the connection has to terminated somewhere. Just having VPN or SSH
software on your laptop does not magically give you a secure
connection. It has to end up (terminate) somewhere and the other end
has to have your security settings, pass phrase, etc stored somewhere.

One possibility is to terminate the VPN at the access point. This is
being done with some corporate access points, but is a major pain in
dealing with the multitude of customers at a hot spot. I think you
can forget that idea.

The easiest is if your ISP supports web mail via SSL (secure sockets
layer). SSL is built into the major web browsers and will encrypt the
sessions without any additional software added to your laptop.
However, the SSL based webmail must be supplied by your ISP.

Another method is to use SSH (secure shell). This requires a
login/password combination stored on the server, but is fairly simple
on the client end (your end). The most common program is called
"Putty". It's free.
However, this is most commonly used for telnet (character based)
email.

A VPN would probably be more useful if you were connecting to a
corporate LAN or your own mail server. It creates an encrypted
"tunnel" into the LAN over the internet. Again, the problem is where
and how to terminate the VPN. Again, your ISP has to provide the
service, administer the login/passwd settings, and setup the security.
The general proceedure for connecting to an IPSec VPN from W2K and XP
can be found at:
http://vpn.ebootis.de
Freeswan is an open source VPN server.
http://harlech.math.ucla.edu/services/ipsec-windows.html
Yeah, it's a mess when using the MS provided IPSec tools.

Sorry, I don't have an instant answer, but at least you now know the
limitations. Ask your ISP for SSL webmail.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

billpritjr@spamhole.com (Bill) wrote in news:15b4be0.0407172122.74614ee5
@posting.google.com:

> Can anyone recommend a browser based or software based personal VPN
> that I could use when surfing the internet in public hotspots?
>
> Yes, I know "dont check email or access your secure data" however this
> kinda defeats the purpose of having Wi-Fi capability and convenience
> at Starbucks or the local airport terminal.
>
> I want to be able to SECURELY do this via VPN or similar device.
>
> Thanks!

In order to a have hardware or software VPN solution, there must be two
valid VPN end points. So, if you have VPN software on your machine
active, then the VPN connection must exist on the other end or there is
no valid VPN connection. The VPN is hardware to hardware such as two
routers or VPN client software installed on a computer and VPN server
software installed on another computer.

http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/

Four things I think needed in a hotspot:

1) Anti Virus Software
2) A good personal firewall solution
3) The O/S secured *harden* to attack if you have an O/S that can be
secured.
4) Your common sense in using safe hex like not doing online *banking*
and other things of that nature.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

Duane :)

bill

I have come across these two services, just wonder if they are all
that they claim to be, security wise

http://www.hotspotvpn.com/

http://personalvpn.com/

"Bill" <billpritjr@spamhole.com> wrote in message
> I have come across these two services, just wonder if they are all
> that they claim to be, security wise
>
> http://www.hotspotvpn.com/
>

> http://personalvpn.com/

Just kind of looking at the two, it looks like they are ISP VPN solution
providers. Like I said before, if you have VPN client software on your
machine and there is VPN server software on a machine, then it's a valid VPN
connection - end point to end point. It's worth investigating by making a
phone call to find out facts about their solutions.

Duane :)

CrownVille

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I have used the following vpn service for my business.
Security system is good.

Hopefully this will solve your ISP VPN solution.
Let me know if you fail to use this.

pattinson_99

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
i am finding a list of best personal vpn provdiers or servers finally i found a list of best of best personal vpn providers and i also read the review on all providers after read this all review i finally trust this list and share with you check this PERSONAL VPN Service provider list

Technode23

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
After trying lot of free VPN services and unsatisfied with there limitation. Finally decided to buy VPN service and end up my search to www.chameleonvpn.com with best value to service.