NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This game, quite simply, was amazing. I was fairly pleased with the graphics, even though they are quite aged now. The storyline was engrossing, the characters personable, and the gameplay was very fun. However, there were some things that I did not entirely enjoy. Having a maximum of one companion (henchman) at any time seemed like a letdown. Even two companions, ala KotOR, would have been welcome. There were times when I needed a fighter (ranger), magic user, and rogue, but I didn't always have that chance. Also, you have very little control over your henchman, so he/she will often do things that you don't want them to do (for example, I could not get my magic user to cast any offensive spells until well after they were probably defended with their own spells, and it was quite ridiculous, where they would often be entirely useless in any type of fighting). I got maybe 70 or 80 hours out of this game, and near the end a lot of the dungeons seemed to grow tedious. I was just like "oh, another dungeon - how fun." I stopped doing every side quest because it got to be too much of a good thing. I've started playing Shadows of the Undrentide, and it's not nearly as deep or well thought-out as the original game. I hope Neverwinter Nights 2 returns the series to the original's splendor, and beyond (I don't know how good Hordes of the Underdark is). Between Neverwinter Nights 2 and Oblivion, which should I get (I'll be getting both).

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
This game, quite simply, was amazing. I was fairly pleased with the graphics, even though they are quite aged now. The storyline was engrossing, the characters personable, and the gameplay was very fun. However, there were some things that I did not entirely enjoy. Having a maximum of one companion (henchman) at any time seemed like a letdown. Even two companions, ala KotOR, would have been welcome. There were times when I needed a fighter (ranger), magic user, and rogue, but I didn't always have that chance. Also, you have very little control over your henchman, so he/she will often do things that you don't want them to do (for example, I could not get my magic user to cast any offensive spells until well after they were probably defended with their own spells, and it was quite ridiculous, where they would often be entirely useless in any type of fighting). I got maybe 70 or 80 hours out of this game, and near the end a lot of the dungeons seemed to grow tedious. I was just like "oh, another dungeon - how fun." I stopped doing every side quest because it got to be too much of a good thing. I've started playing Shadows of the Undrentide, and it's not nearly as deep or well thought-out as the original game. I hope Neverwinter Nights 2 returns the series to the original's splendor, and beyond (I don't know how good Hordes of the Underdark is). Between Neverwinter Nights 2 and Oblivion, which should I get (I'll be getting both).
Well, indeed, Neverwinter Nights is one of the better RPGs out there, but I still have some comments on what you've said.

For one, I found one henchman to be enough; after all, you CAN multi-class if you want to, and there are multiple ways around everything. My only problem was them automatically attacking chests which were locked, and they couldn't open. (chests DO tend to give you less treasure if broken rather than opened)

And on the quests between the original game and the first expansion... That's the opposite of my thoughts; the original seemed a bit cliched, (well, anything D&D is cliched, but that's aside the point I'm at here) while the latter actually had some more effort put into it; note that in the former, your alignment goes nowhere but toward good unless you avoid most side-quests, and extort passer-by, where THEN you might get shoved to evil; nothing, I found, pushed you toward lawful or chaotic. Meanwhile, with Shadows of Undrentide, most actions DO have an alignment effect, so you must think more.

Oh, and which sequel should you get? Both of them, obviously. Failing that, which did you like better: Neverwinter Nights, or Daggerfall. NOT Morrowind, which was worse than DF, but if you still liked MW better, count it as the same then.

sturm

Splendid
Have you tried any one of the 2 Dungeion Seige games.
You can have like 6or 7 people in your party, rangers, fighters, magic users, and even a pet.
I have played both and enjoyed them just like I did with NWN. Although NWN is better if played with other people.

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
After Baldurs Gate (wow, I was 21 years old when they first released that), I had very high hopes for BG2 and then Neverwinter nights.

I played BG1 so much that I got sick of it and I have a full copy of BG2 and its expansion that I'm yet to play (weird, I know).

I loaded up NN and could not get into it for the life of me. The one accessory character to have was a let down and the overall game world didn't feel as revolutionary as I'd hoped.

You get a bit older and these games just dont feel the same.

BG1 is a classic though. I wouldnt play it again, but it was superbly done for its age.

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Wow same here. I have a copy of BG2, but I've never played it (even though I've played throug BG several times). I wish NWN was more open ended, like BG. I hate having that small set of areas that I could go to. Beyond that, I wish there were less dungeons, like BG. Maybe I'm just weird, but I loved the storyline, even though it was very generic. I just love all high fantasy.

dlantz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Never played BG1, but played through all of BG2 multiple times and after playing it I too was disappointed by NWN. Basically all the things I loved about BG2 were gone in NWN.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I thought NWN was too easy and never felt engrossing. I also hated the engine and the entire game felt "manufactured" out of blocks.

To be honest, give me isometric rpgs on richly detailed backgrounds any day over spinney whirly 3d.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Guys you are all missing the point. Even though the single player game in Neverwinter was a total let down, what made the game shine was(is) the toolset. Just check the Neverwinter vault http://nwvault.ign.com for a whole range of user modules. There are replaying based modules, hack and slash, class specific, multiple henchmen and a whole lot more much better than what Bioware did (HOTU was good though).

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006

You're actually DECIDING between oblivion and neverwinter nights??!!!
Get OBLIVION!!! and if you dont have it buy now, go out and buy it right now!! Its the best game EVER!!
Thats providing ofcourse that you do have a good pc, or a 360.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Yeah I can run Oblivion:

P4 630 @ 3 GHz
1 GB PC 5300
256 mb GeForce 6800 @ 400/750 MHz
SB Audigy 2 ZS

some people on gamespot have the same configuration as you and they say they are experiencing lag problems...

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I thought PS was really cool, too. I liked the openess of Morrowind, but couldn't stand how silly the AI and combat was. You could steal almost anything in the game and no one would call you on it. And combat was standing in one place hacking 'till it died.
Sadly, I've heard that the AI really isn't too much better. You can rummage through someones house and they won't mind. Makes playing a thief character kind of unrewarding.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I thought PS was really cool, too. I liked the openess of Morrowind, but couldn't stand how silly the AI and combat was. You could steal almost anything in the game and no one would call you on it. And combat was standing in one place hacking 'till it died.
Sadly, I've heard that the AI really isn't too much better. You can rummage through someones house and they won't mind. Makes playing a thief character kind of unrewarding.

not true, if they see you stealing they will attack you.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Okay, if the see you. But it's pretty easy to not be seen. I remember there's a sword in a guard tower in the first big city you get to. It's called the White Pain blade or something. Anyway, there's a guard standing right next to it and you can take it by standing right beside him.
You can get into peoples houses and loot all you want and then walk right by them out their front doors. Hell, you can walk right by them to rob them blind in the first place.
Oh well. Other than that it really was a great game. Just the combat sucked. I hear oblivions better at that, at least.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Okay, if the see you. But it's pretty easy to not be seen. I remember there's a sword in a guard tower in the first big city you get to. It's called the White Pain blade or something. Anyway, there's a guard standing right next to it and you can take it by standing right beside him.
You can get into peoples houses and loot all you want and then walk right by them out their front doors. Hell, you can walk right by them to rob them blind in the first place.
Oh well. Other than that it really was a great game. Just the combat sucked. I hear oblivions better at that, at least.

first of all, what's ps?
secondly, yeah, in morrowind that did happen, you could steal almost anything and noone would notice...in oblivion...think again!

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I was refering to PlaneScape: Torment. Great game from some time ago (99 I think).
Glad to hear stealing is more difficult in the ol' Oblivion. I really liked stealing in Morrowind until I realized you almost never got caught. That kind of ruined it for me.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I feel where NWn shines is in multiplayer. Certainly the single player campaign was fun, but one of the biggest features of NWN was the toolkit, and the idea of creating a world t run your friends through. I've been playing solidly for nearly two years now at www.worldofcaenyr.com, which is an online persistant world, with active DMs and a large player base. It's like an MMORPG, but the best thinga about most persistant worlds is that they're fairly well controlled. Wth servers only taking up to 64 people at any one time, there are little to no incidences of annoying powergaming prats.

Anyway, once you're done with the single player part, I'd suggest going to the neverwinter forums at nwn.bioware.com, and browsing through some of the player-created persistant worlds, until you find one to your liking, and give it a shot.