Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Last response: in Windows 7
August 10, 2010 7:49:07 AM

I need to purchase windows 7 ultimate 64bit for my new rig.

Newegg has Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM for $174.99 and full retail version for $272.48.

I understand that OEM is for new machine. But I'm confused to what I can do and cannot do with this verison.

1) After my initial installation and activation, can I format the hard-drive and perform clean install on the same machine? If yes, is there limitations on number of clean reinstallation?

2) From what I know, OEM version gets attached to your machine after your initial installation and activation. What part of the hardware does it get attached to? Can I upgrade or switch motherboard and perform reinstalltion? what part of the hardware can I upgrade and perform reinstallation?

3) Does full retail version lets you install on multiple systems with unlimited license?

More about : windows ultimate bit pack system builders oem

Best solution

August 10, 2010 8:46:33 AM

The retail version IIRC has a manual if you can call it one and tech support. You can do a clean install after your initial install and activation, but I don't think there is a limit. The OEM version gets attached to your mobo, so you can switch it out, but chances are by the time you switch mobo's you'll be getting a new rig with a new windows. Worse case you give microsoft a call. You can upgrade anything and perform reintallation. The full retail version and oem version have one license, so no installs on multiple systems. Unless you get their three license oem pack.
August 20, 2010 12:11:39 AM

Best answer selected by nexuslotus.
m
l
Related resources
!