Need advice on a space sim

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Any recommendations ?? I’m looking for an action oriented sim (not one with realistic physics). Something like Starlancer. My joystick is gathering too much dust these days :oops: .

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
How about Freelancer, the 'sequel' to Starlancer? Even though it's a bit old now, it's still the best space sim I've played since the glory-days of LucasArts.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Freelancer was very good.

Have you tried the I-War series? My how I did love those games...

I agree that I-War was the dog's danglies, but the poster didn't want realistic physics. I loved the inertia in I-war, but it took a while to get used to it.

X3 has a playable demo coming out very soon (it may even be already out) - he should give it a go and see what he thinks.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can live with the physics - it's not like the ship comes apart if you don't beware to keep the speed and stresses on the hull at precise levels. It's just that you turn in a funny way...

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@cheburashka

I thought that freelancer was mouse driven and didn't use a joystick ? And to think that I didn't buy that game because of this 8O . If you can fly using a joystick then I'll buy it tomorrow.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@Aaron

Man am I misinformed. First I go thinking that Freelancer is mouse driven and next I'm assuming that I-war is more capital ship battles. I badly need to change my sources. Please confirm if it is a fighter pilot type of game or capital ship.

How bad is the physics in I-war? I recently tried Babylon 5 and it felt like driving an aircraft carrier at light speed. I guess I not such a good fighter jockey :oops: (did finish starlancer on hard setting though)

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I played it with the mouse, so I don't know if the controls are as comfortable for joysticks.

I would recommend it regardless: the feeling of free space flight was majestic - the best I've experienced so far. The huge, scaled, planets and ships, the very intuitive controls and just the way it was made...totally immersive.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wikipedia does I-War

It's closer to a fighter than a capital ship game. The physics don't detract from the game, they make it original and a hellova lot of fun - I got used to them quite quickly and frankly haven't been able to get quite the same buzz out of the combat in most space sims since.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Thanks for the link. Even though I-war is not exactly what I was looking for (fighter sim not corvette) I think it's worth trying out. Looks great!!!

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@cheburashka

I checked it out. Freelancer looks great (especially for a starlancer fan like me :eek: ), but I'm really looking for a game to use my joystick with. Thanks anyway.

Does anyone know if there are any space fighter sims in development or is the genre dead :cry: ?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i use my playstation 2 controller for my space/flight sims the joysticks are perfect for it. anyway X" is too slow for you im looking to try X3 myself but fear itll be too slow again.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
i use my playstation 2 controller for my space/flight sims the joysticks are perfect for it. anyway X" is too slow for you im looking to try X3 myself but fear itll be too slow again.

X3 is a great game, but it's probably not what you're looking for if you want to blow lots of stuff up. Even if you play the game concentrating on combat (which would miss out on half the fun), it's probably still too pedestrian to be thought of as a flight sim. Freespace it ain't.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I've played the first 2 in the series. Great games!!! I'm planning on buying on X3 later this year after an upgrade (or maybe new system). What I am looking 4 here is to feed my joystick junkiness