BIG wireless problem :(

Ok, i have a dekstop PC with a wireless Linksys WRT54G router and i have
a Laptop with an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG wireless card.

I set it all up using WEP (after much hassle, see ) but then went to
using WPA (after more hassle). Everything had been working fine for a
couple of days. However, since last night it has simply started to lose
the connection on the laptop. It doesn't even pick up any signa; - like
the router doesn't exist. I've tried disabling all encryption but that
hasn't done anything. I'm totally lost.

I found on the intel site that there is a problem with WPA and the
Pro/Wireless 2100 card. See here . I wouldn't think it would effect me
as i have a 2200 card. Anyway, i'm trying to six it the way it says by
removing the WPA patch. But the the damn patch isn't listed in
add/remove programs so i cant uninstall it (and i DID install it).

It says about updating to the latest drives, but mine are up-to-date
(and they use completely different numbering to the drives it talks
about on that intel page).

So, i just really dont know whats up? I've thought that maybe it might
be some kind of interference but i have no idea what. I've not turned
on any new electrical devices that might suddenly cause this.

Help 'here' (Ok, i have a dekstop PC with a wireless Linksys WRT54G

--
goose

goose

as i mentioned in one of my earlier messages i haven't found wpa trouble
free.

after a cold boot or even a restart my two machines exhibit a common
problem: they get the connection at first then after two minutes or so they
drop the connection and can't see it at all.

i've found through dumb luck that doing a suspend/resume, in my case closing
the lid or hitting the little lid close switch, after the loss of link will
bring it back to life. pressing the button (or whatever) until the notebook
goes into full suspension, then resuming will bring the link back up and it
will remain stable for days after that including any additional
suspend/resumes.

pretty annoying but it becomes reflex after a cold boot or a restart.

good luck

jtm (btw, both my wife's and daughter's notebooks are centrinos from dell
with "b-only" wireless)