Hi:
I have different users on my XP Home computer. How do I
set up a folder that can be seen and accessed by user? I
heard something about "shared folders". How does this work
if I am the administrator?

Thanks!
Scott Sokolich

Hi Scott,

By default, there is a shared documents folder - why do you not use it?

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Scott Sokolich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
> I have different users on my XP Home computer. How do I
> set up a folder that can be seen and accessed by user? I
> heard something about "shared folders". How does this work
> if I am the administrator?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott Sokolich

Rick:
Thank you! I did find the shared folders for each user and
I could access other users data when in there.
As an experiment I logged on as a different user (my
daughter) and I was able to see and access "My Documents"
(Scott Sokolich - administrator) folders and data (non-
shared) when logged in as my daughter. I thought that as a
non-administrator logged in, they were not able to access
the administrator's regular "My Documents" and vice versa.
Sorry for being a dummy here (I'm an ex-98 user) but if
someone else can access the administrator's doc's while
logged in then what is the use of the shared file system
and being an administrator? As administrator I might want
to know or not know what is confidential on someone else's
folders. Remember that I can't make it "private" because I
am on FAT32.

Thanks for all your help!

Scott Sokolich

wrote in message
>> Hi:
>> I have different users on my XP Home computer. How do I
>> set up a folder that can be seen and accessed by user? I
>> heard something about "shared folders". How does this
work
>> if I am the administrator?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Scott Sokolich
>

>.

Hi,

To take full advantage of the security aspects, you have to convert to NTFS.
You cannot make use of them in FAT32. WinXP will run in FAT32, but really
should be run in NTFS to take full advantage of its features.