Windows XP User Accounts

April 1, 2004 5:35:15 PM

Help! I have been using my computer with Xp for about 9
months. During that time, I did not have any user
accounts created but did create about 80GB of files under
the default administrator role. I decided to create some
user roles to allow my kids limited access to the
computer, but in so doing, have somehow "lost" the
administrator user. Now, I can't access any of those 80GB
of files. The folder still exists on the c: drive under
Documents and Settings, but if I try to access, I get an
error message stating Access Denied. There is only one
user account on the computer, How do I get access to
these files again.

More about : windows user accounts

Anonymous
April 1, 2004 9:19:15 PM

John uttered the following on 4/1/2004 4:35 PM:

> Help! I have been using my computer with Xp for about 9
> months. During that time, I did not have any user
> accounts created but did create about 80GB of files under
> the default administrator role. I decided to create some
> user roles to allow my kids limited access to the
> computer, but in so doing, have somehow "lost" the
> administrator user. Now, I can't access any of those 80GB
> of files. The folder still exists on the c: drive under
> Documents and Settings, but if I try to access, I get an
> error message stating Access Denied. There is only one
> user account on the computer, How do I get access to
> these files again.
John, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

hope this helps, Rob
Anonymous
April 1, 2004 11:36:50 PM

Hi John,

To logon as administrator, do one of the following:

WinXP Pro: Hit ctrl+alt+delete at the Welcome screen, then use the
Win2000-style logon screen to type in administrator and the password.

WinXP Home: Boot to Safe mode by hitting F8 at the initial startup. Select
Administrator from the Welcome screen.

Once logged on, create a new user account for yourself with administrator
priviledges (keep the default admin as a failsafe), then copy the desired
data into that users folders.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help! I have been using my computer with Xp for about 9
> months. During that time, I did not have any user
> accounts created but did create about 80GB of files under
> the default administrator role. I decided to create some
> user roles to allow my kids limited access to the
> computer, but in so doing, have somehow "lost" the
> administrator user. Now, I can't access any of those 80GB
> of files. The folder still exists on the c: drive under
> Documents and Settings, but if I try to access, I get an
> error message stating Access Denied. There is only one
> user account on the computer, How do I get access to
> these files again.
April 2, 2004 10:34:20 AM

Thanks! It worked.

!