Windows XP User Accounts

Help! I have been using my computer with Xp for about 9
months. During that time, I did not have any user
accounts created but did create about 80GB of files under
the default administrator role. I decided to create some
user roles to allow my kids limited access to the
computer, but in so doing, have somehow "lost" the
administrator user. Now, I can't access any of those 80GB
of files. The folder still exists on the c: drive under
Documents and Settings, but if I try to access, I get an
error message stating Access Denied. There is only one
user account on the computer, How do I get access to
these files again.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows user accounts

    John uttered the following on 4/1/2004 4:35 PM:

    > Help! I have been using my computer with Xp for about 9
    > months. During that time, I did not have any user
    > accounts created but did create about 80GB of files under
    > the default administrator role. I decided to create some
    > user roles to allow my kids limited access to the
    > computer, but in so doing, have somehow "lost" the
    > administrator user. Now, I can't access any of those 80GB
    > of files. The folder still exists on the c: drive under
    > Documents and Settings, but if I try to access, I get an
    > error message stating Access Denied. There is only one
    > user account on the computer, How do I get access to
    > these files again.
    John, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    hope this helps, Rob

    Hi John,

    To logon as administrator, do one of the following:

    WinXP Pro: Hit ctrl+alt+delete at the Welcome screen, then use the
    Win2000-style logon screen to type in administrator and the password.

    WinXP Home: Boot to Safe mode by hitting F8 at the initial startup. Select
    Administrator from the Welcome screen.

    Once logged on, create a new user account for yourself with administrator
    priviledges (keep the default admin as a failsafe), then copy the desired
    data into that users folders.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Help! I have been using my computer with Xp for about 9
    > months. During that time, I did not have any user
    > accounts created but did create about 80GB of files under
    > the default administrator role. I decided to create some
    > user roles to allow my kids limited access to the
    > computer, but in so doing, have somehow "lost" the
    > administrator user. Now, I can't access any of those 80GB
    > of files. The folder still exists on the c: drive under
    > Documents and Settings, but if I try to access, I get an
    > error message stating Access Denied. There is only one
    > user account on the computer, How do I get access to
    > these files again.

    Thanks! It worked.

Computers User Accounts Windows XP