Aaron's Article on Star Trek: Legacy

mpjesse

Splendid
I think he hit the nail on the head. The only Star Trek games worth mentioning (as he said) IMO were some of the first ones (Judgement Rites, 25th Anniversary, etc). Since then they've all been crap; including Elite Forces.

Whenever I hear of a new Star Trek game I immediately think, "oh great, another total failure and embarassment." But I must admit that Legacy sounds fun. It looks to be along the lines of Star Wars: Empire at War (which is just another great game in the Star Wars franchise).

I'm currently playing Empire at War and I'm addicted. Star Wars has had its fair share of failures (namely all the games based on Episodes 1, 2, and 3). Generally speaking any Star Wars game based on the entire Franchise (X Wing, Tie Fighter, X Wing Alliance, Jedi Knight, Dark Forces, KotOR 1/2) or has a completely unique story line does very, very well. More often than not Star Wars games are good.

I think the reason for Star Wars games' success is namely Lucasarts. George Lucas has always been good at locating talent and protecting his Star Wars franchise. Rick Berman and company... not so good. I think if Gene Roddenbury were still alive we'd have successful Star Trek games. I personally believe that Rick Berman just sees Star Trek as a paycheck and nothing more. His heart really isn't in it.

Anyways, good editorial. I enjoyed reading it.

-mpjesse

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I'm currently playing Empire at War and I'm addicted. Star Wars has had its fair share of failures (namely all the games based on Episodes 1, 2, and 3). Generally speaking any Star Wars game based on the entire Franchise (X Wing, Tie Fighter, X Wing Alliance, Jedi Knight, Dark Forces, KotOR 1/2) or has a completely unique story line does very, very well. More often than not Star Wars games are good.

I played KotOR 1 (which I enjoyed) but as far as I can remember this is a episode 1,2,3 based game as well isn't it? It's even pre-episode 1 I guess?

Haven't read Aaron's editorial yet so i go do that first then.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
KOTOR is set pre-Star Wars, yep, though in reality that's more so as it can distance itself from the plot of the movies, yet still hint and point at things in it.

I personally believe that Rick Berman just sees Star Trek as a paycheck and nothing more. His heart really isn't in it.
Amen. I don't know what they do be thinking, with Voyager and Enterprise. I personally think they should just give it a rest for a few years, continue in videogames and stuff, but not on TV and in movies. The writers are just burned out... we need new talent and fresh ideas.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I found the Next Generation full motion pictures still enjoyable. Last one I saw (and bought on DVD) is Nemesis, is there a more recent one already?

I definitely think there's still some need to fullfill there as I'm not yet tired of Picard and his crew. If you compare it to the old bunch, that stayed in business till Star Trek: Generations, then I'd say there could be a couple more of Picard and his team.

First contact was pretty good, and I really enjoyed Nemesis.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
You used "lessoned" in the wrong context there matey, that's almost a hanging offence that is.

Personally I think Star Wars and Star Trek offer amazing potential for stunning games that haven't been realised yet.

In saying that Armada one was a fun game specially in multiplayer. Armada II was cack.

Star Bridge Commander as well got my attention and held it all the way through which many many many games don't manage to do nowadays, it had zero replayability mind you.

As for the movies, First Contact has easily been the best and the rest of them have been enjoyable. That's the thing I find with Star Trek movies. They're not often brilliant but they are always enjoyable.

As for Star Wars, meh.... Couldn't care less to be honest. I find Star Wars to be a bit shit in all it's incarnations.

Personally I'm waiting for a killer Battlestar Galactica (new series is the best sci fi ever in my humble opinion) game, there is apparently a mod out for Freespace 2 (or possibly in production I can't be arsed to check) that has alot of ppl excited.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Oho, First Contact was great. Showed a darker side to Star Trek and the borg were damn cool in it.

Nemisis like alot of the Star Trek movies just felt like an extended tv episode. Nothing wrong with that in my book tho.

mpjesse

Splendid
KotOR took place like 4 thousand years before Episode 1. But what made the game so great and unique were two things:

1. Bioware
2. Original Story

KotOR (1) is probably the best Star Wars game to date. It won Gamespy's game of the year and best RPG.

mpjesse

Splendid
Personally I'm waiting for a killer Battlestar Galactica (new series is the best sci fi ever in my humble opinion) game, there is apparently a mod out for Freespace 2 (or possibly in production I can't be arsed to check) that has alot of ppl excited.

Righto. I too believe that the new BSG is the greatest sci-fi show created since ST:DS9. In a lot of ways BSG is superior to any Star Trek series.

For me I think DS9 and BSG are about equal. In a lot of ways they're very similar too.

NOW... let's not forget that a Star Wars TV show is in the works and will be debuting in 2008 (according to Rick McCallum). I can't wait!!!

-mpjesse

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oho, First Contact was great. Showed a darker side to Star Trek and the borg were damn cool in it.

Nemisis like alot of the Star Trek movies just felt like an extended tv episode. Nothing wrong with that in my book tho.
First contact was alrightish, but [Edit - Nemesis, even] was just crap. It was a poor-man's Wrath of Khan... if you want a good star trek movie, that's the best of them all.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
khan!!!.jpg

KHAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I watched that a while back. Lowest budget on a trek film, and the best. Nice.

I hear the directors cut of The Motion Picture is supposed to make it less crap, must get it on DVD and see.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Let us know how that went, as I don't want to spend any time on it unless it's worth it. I've sat through it once in the theater, and that was quite enough. Cost me my date too. *bleh*

I know, stupid choice to take a chick to a movie like that but hey, I was 13. :oops:

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LMFAO! Dates+Star Trek? Unless she's more manly than you are I doubt that'd go down well :p Star Trek IV would be the only film you could make a stab at bringing a date along to.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that aint a stupid choice, if a woman don't like star trek get rid, better off without them :) . if my memory serves me well that star trek was the one where they implanted them mind controlling creatures in them. really was a nice dark side to the movie.
That was number 2. The first one was rather slow-paced.