mother board help

Hi,
I have a Packard Bell computer- Model 880
I upgraded my award chip the other day. I called the tech support and
asked a question. I was told to remove the battery for 8 hours to
clear the c mos . I left it out over night.
The next day I re-installed the battery. Now I get an error
message--Could not activate c mos battery.
After booting to windows, My clock and year are way off.
Is the flat part up or should face down?
Thanks n advance.

Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
7 answers Last reply
More about mother board help

    Flat side up. It don't take 8 hours to clear the cmos, only a few seconds.
    When you do this you lose all system settings..like your clock. What was
    your org problem.

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a Packard Bell computer- Model 880
    > I upgraded my award chip the other day. I called the tech support and
    > asked a question. I was told to remove the battery for 8 hours to
    > clear the c mos . I left it out over night.
    > The next day I re-installed the battery. Now I get an error
    > message--Could not activate c mos battery.
    > After booting to windows, My clock and year are way off.
    > Is the flat part up or should face down?
    > Thanks n advance.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Having cleared the cmos, you have to go into BIOS settings and reset the
    time and date..

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a Packard Bell computer- Model 880
    > I upgraded my award chip the other day. I called the tech support and
    > asked a question. I was told to remove the battery for 8 hours to
    > clear the c mos . I left it out over night.
    > The next day I re-installed the battery. Now I get an error
    > message--Could not activate c mos battery.
    > After booting to windows, My clock and year are way off.
    > Is the flat part up or should face down?
    > Thanks n advance.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Hi,
    I upgraded my hard drive, installed windows xp pro.
    When I contacted Award Bios to see if there was an update for it,there
    was. I paid $40.00 for the e-mail flash. Then received it- copied it
    to a floppy. When I booted up the computer, It did not work. the
    floppy had no enough space. called award back (tech support) and he
    yelled go to "What you do before calling tech support". I downloaded
    boot 98se program. Copied it to a floppy and added their files also.
    The tech had me remove a lot of files that was not needed. Then added
    necessary files. It still did not work. So Award sent me a chip puller
    and new chip. I installed it and still would not boot up correctly.
    The tech support then had me remove the battery for 8 hours.
    That still did not work,so I reinstalled the original chip. Now it
    boots up ok, But forgets the last settings. I removed the
    battery-Installed it so I can see the + and - signs.
    Now it's ok.
    I still would like to flash the chip. But Awards tech support needs
    help!
    Thanks for your response.
    Its a Packard bell model 880 Cyrix 6x86 MX processor 244MHZ
    256 Ram

    Ask for your money back and forget it. Why would you PAY for a BIOS update
    anyway most motherboard manufacturers make them available for free.

    Testy

    > Hi,
    > I upgraded my hard drive, installed windows xp pro.
    > When I contacted Award Bios to see if there was an update for it,there
    > was. I paid $40.00 for the e-mail flash. Then received it- copied it
    > to a floppy. When I booted up the computer, It did not work. the
    > floppy had no enough space. called award back (tech support) and he
    > yelled go to "What you do before calling tech support". I downloaded
    > boot 98se program. Copied it to a floppy and added their files also.
    > The tech had me remove a lot of files that was not needed. Then added
    > necessary files. It still did not work. So Award sent me a chip puller
    > and new chip. I installed it and still would not boot up correctly.
    > The tech support then had me remove the battery for 8 hours.
    > That still did not work,so I reinstalled the original chip. Now it
    > boots up ok, But forgets the last settings. I removed the
    > battery-Installed it so I can see the + and - signs.
    > Now it's ok.
    > I still would like to flash the chip. But Awards tech support needs
    > help!
    > Thanks for your response.
    > Its a Packard bell model 880 Cyrix 6x86 MX processor 244MHZ
    > 256 Ram

    ---

    If the battery is installed properly, the visible surface will have one
    outer ring, and one inner circle. The area between the ring and the circle
    will have a ridge boundary visible and detectible with a fingernail.

    You needed a boot floppy, not a startup diskette. You can make this with
    windows explorer. Nothing to download or manually copy for this. Then copy
    the bin file to the floppy.

    Some motherboards have a jumper that is set that prevents flashing.
    Allowing flashing simply moving the jumper to the opposed position.
    Example: Pin 1 and 2 covered, move jumper to cover Pin 2 and 3. See your
    motherboard manual for details of location if such exists. on your
    motherboard. This includes any new bios chip installed.

    Don't flash the bios unless it needs it.

    If you reply, leave the contents of your current message below in that
    reply.
    <wmckeeby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I upgraded my hard drive, installed windows xp pro.
    > When I contacted Award Bios to see if there was an update for it,there
    > was. I paid $40.00 for the e-mail flash. Then received it- copied it
    > to a floppy. When I booted up the computer, It did not work. the
    > floppy had no enough space. called award back (tech support) and he
    > yelled go to "What you do before calling tech support". I downloaded
    > boot 98se program. Copied it to a floppy and added their files also.
    > The tech had me remove a lot of files that was not needed. Then added
    > necessary files. It still did not work. So Award sent me a chip puller
    > and new chip. I installed it and still would not boot up correctly.
    > The tech support then had me remove the battery for 8 hours.
    > That still did not work,so I reinstalled the original chip. Now it
    > boots up ok, But forgets the last settings. I removed the
    > battery-Installed it so I can see the + and - signs.
    > Now it's ok.
    > I still would like to flash the chip. But Awards tech support needs
    > help!
    > Thanks for your response.
    > Its a Packard bell model 880 Cyrix 6x86 MX processor 244MHZ
    > 256 Ram

    <wmckeeby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I upgraded my hard drive, installed windows xp pro.
    > When I contacted Award Bios to see if there was an update for it,there
    > was. I paid $40.00 for the e-mail flash. Then received it- copied it
    > to a floppy. When I booted up the computer, It did not work. the
    > floppy had no enough space. called award back (tech support) and he
    > yelled go to "What you do before calling tech support". I downloaded
    > boot 98se program. Copied it to a floppy and added their files also.
    > The tech had me remove a lot of files that was not needed. Then added
    > necessary files. It still did not work. So Award sent me a chip puller
    > and new chip. I installed it and still would not boot up correctly.
    > The tech support then had me remove the battery for 8 hours.
    > That still did not work,so I reinstalled the original chip. Now it
    > boots up ok, But forgets the last settings. I removed the
    > battery-Installed it so I can see the + and - signs.
    > Now it's ok.
    > I still would like to flash the chip. But Awards tech support needs
    > help!
    > Thanks for your response.
    > Its a Packard bell model 880 Cyrix 6x86 MX processor 244MHZ
    > 256 Ram

    Bios flash or not, XP is not going to run very well on that computer, if at
    all, since it's under the minimum requirements as far as the processor
    (Cyrix processors of that generation were slower than comparably named Intel
    CPUs). And paying for the bios flash was a waste as there's not likely to be
    much there to help XP run any better.

    Rather than spending time and money trying to get that computer running XP,
    you'd be better off putting an older OS on it and running it as-is, or
    buying a faster computer that will be able to run XP.

    Hi,
    Thanks for all the responses. My mother board company I do not
    know. If the mother board company gives free upgrades- How can I find
    them?
    I reset the bios time in boot up and F2 key.
    The battery was in backwards and was corrected.
    Thanks for all your help.

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:43:31 GMT, mctiger <wmckeeby@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    > I have a Packard Bell computer- Model 880
    >I upgraded my award chip the other day. I called the tech support and
    >asked a question. I was told to remove the battery for 8 hours to
    >clear the c mos . I left it out over night.
    >The next day I re-installed the battery. Now I get an error
    >message--Could not activate c mos battery.
    >After booting to windows, My clock and year are way off.
    >Is the flat part up or should face down?
    >Thanks n advance.
    >
    >Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

Battery Motherboards Windows XP