nvidia display control panel question

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
in the nvidia display control panel, under performance and quality settings, is there any difference in quality between putting the bar at quality, and then changing it to performance?
(please dont tell me im stupid and cant read and that obviously quality has better quality, im just asking because when i changed it to performance my game got faster, and i did not notice any changes in quality)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I tested it with FEAR and I see only 5-10fps difference. Image wise I see in the performance setting, the shadowing and lighting is not so great compare to the quality setting. I choose the "quality" to set all my games for it gives me both performance and good visuals as well.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I tested it with FEAR and I see only 5-10fps difference. Image wise I see in the performance setting, the shadowing and lighting is not so great compare to the quality setting. I choose the "quality" to set all my games for it gives me both performance and good visuals as well.

"only" 5-10 frames" ? thats quite alot in terms of gaming. that could a difference between playable and non-playable.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
"only" 5-10 frames" ? thats quite alot in terms of gaming. that could a difference between playable and non-playable.

2-3 years ago yes

now no. the hardware is so powerfull these days it doesnt make that much of a difference if you have a machine like mine then it really doesnt mater. keep it on quality and turn off any AA or AF.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006

2-3 years ago yes

now no. the hardware is so powerfull these days it doesnt make that much of a difference if you have a machine like mine then it really doesnt mater. keep it on quality and turn off any AA or AF.

why turn off anti aliasing and anistropic filtering??? Those are the things that make the game look good, no wonder you dont care about your frame rate, cause you have them turned off!!

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
not true i have them all the way up cause my system can handle it. but if given the choice between higher resolution or AS/AF i would go higher res everytime, cause it looks better and you dont take the performance hit.