Number portability Question

I am an ATT customer. I like the Sony Ericsson T616 model. It is
available free on Amazon.com (infact you get back 150$ for a 2-yr
agreement) while you spend 50$ if purchasing from att.com. The question
I have is can I purchase a cell phone with ATT cellular plan from
Amazon.com and then use number portability to transfer my current
number over to the new phone I have? Any hidden costs/fees etc.? Will
this work?

Posting this on Verizon forum since this seems to have the
largest audience.

Thanks!

Your question has a couple of points that seem confusing, but I'll try
to answer them as best I can.

For starters, you indicate that you are an AT&T customer, but are you
and AT&T *wireless* customer or an AT&T customer for some other
service (local or long-distance)? The reason I ask is simple. Local
Number Portability (LNP) is only used if you wish to transfer your
wireless phone number from one provider to a different provider (i.e.
AT&T to Verizon, or Sprint to Cingular or something like that). If
you are already using AT&T wireless service and you want to purchase a
new phone for use on AT&T wireless, the you will not be using LNP, you
will simply be changing handsets on the same network. That's no big
deal. It's simply an ESN swap (the ESN is the unique identifier for
each handset).

If you are a non-AT&T wireless customer and wish to transfer your
phone number over to AT&T wireless, then you would be using LNP. It
is free and somewhat cumbersome (it can take anywhere from a few hours
to a few days to complete) but it does work.

I would suggest you examine AT&T website regarding LNP. You may find
it useful. It's at
http://www.attwireless.com/lnp/segmenter.jhtml?_requestid=5931

Secondly, I think you may be mistaken on the price. The phone is
$200 on Amazon.com. Currently, there is only a $150 rebate on the
T616 on Amazon.com (as far as I can see). There was a $200 rebate on
the phone previously. But that offer expired on March 31, 2004. So
the price on the phone is $50.00. Perhaps the price changed since you
posted this message.

In any event, good luck.