Sign in with
Your question

Radeon vs. nForce

Last response: in Motherboards
April 22, 2002 5:57:41 PM

Anybody ever experienced or heard of any problems when matching a Radeon 8500 or 8500DV with a mobo based on nForce 420-D?

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

More about : radeon nforce

April 22, 2002 6:12:25 PM

Haven't heard of that, though nVidia's and Ati's display drivers are known not to work togeter. i.e. don't try a PCI GeForce 2 and an 8500 in the same box.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 22, 2002 6:34:56 PM

Thank you for your reply, FatBurger.
I have no use for an additionnal PCI Graphics Card.
So you're saying that I shouldn't experience any conflict if I use an nForce board in conjunction with a 8500 board (without a PCI graphics card)?
Do you believe the integrated nVidia graphics would be conflicting?
Could someone tell me whether the drivers for the nVidia integrated graphics are included into the chipset drivers, and if that would be conflicting if an ATI AGP card was added?

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>
Related resources
April 22, 2002 10:15:57 PM

If the onboard video is disabled, it shouldn't cause any conflicts. But nVidia's motherboard drivers and Ati's display drivers might not like each other.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 22, 2002 10:21:55 PM

Thanks.

Anybody else has had first hand experience with this configuration or else has knowledge of potential conflict?

April 24, 2002 5:30:30 AM

Hey O,

For the record, yes I am very stupid. Now my question is: why shell out the big bucks for a Nvidia Chipset mobo, & either not use the built on board AGP(the cheap way) or get a GeForce 4-any flavor(the high-end way)? Do you hate Via that much? Just wondering cuz the GeForce 4 4200, 4400 & 4600 all seem to rate higher than the ATI Radeon 8500(yeah maybe not the new 128mb versions). Also the Via KT333 chipset mobo's seem to benchmark higher than the nForce chipset mobo's. My stupid question is why do you want to match the weaker ATi Video Card with the weaker & costier nForce chipset mobo, even if it has no known conflicts?

Peace Out...............tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?
April 24, 2002 1:39:18 PM

I couldn't care less if the Radeon 8500DV is actually slower than a GeForce4 4200-4400-4600. ATi has all the power I need for gaming and I need a good video editing, TV tuning, DVD playback and dual display solution. I'm sorry but nVidia is far from convincing me that they have an offering that could match the 8500DV. As for the nForce, I'm not really into cutting edge performance. I mostly need reliability, and to that regard, VIA never really met my expectations. So I'm trying something different. The integrated everything feature of the nForce is something that is also of interest to me.

April 24, 2002 1:50:31 PM

You might want to skip the nForce 420-D and look at the 415. It's supposedly faster because it doesn't include on-board video.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
April 24, 2002 5:43:01 PM

Is the integrated graphics the VERY ONLY difference between the 415D and 420D? If that is so, that would please me a lot since the Asus board with the 415D chipset is $140 cheaper than its 420D counterpart in this part of the world. Thanks for your insight!

April 25, 2002 3:27:54 AM

Hey O,

Okay. Good answer. I just don't know if it is a good idea, if reliability is you main goal. This is nVidia's first chipset and not many manufactuer's can throw out a "Good" chipset & they have been at it longer than nVidia. So to me the idea of mix & match seems like asking for trouble. Which Via chipset mobo have you had reliability problems with? I am using a EPoX 8KHA+(Via KT266A), & I have not had a problem yet. For Video editing you most likely would be better off going with a P4 & RD-Ram, very stable & use any video card that you like. Good Luck with your quest for knowledge, & sorry that I only asked stupid questions.

Peace Out.............tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?
April 25, 2002 1:22:33 PM

To answer your question, I had problems with the KT133A and the KT266. Now, I have yet to hear about unreliabilty from the nForce. Sure, it may not be as fast as the KT266A (or KT333), but as far as reliability goes, my past experiences taught me to keep my distances from VIA. Still, I've heard good things about the KT266A from people like you and from friends in the IT business. I'm still hesitating. Regarding your P4 suggestion, my verdict is that P4 platforms are still too expensive to even consider. As I've already stated, I'm not looking for lightspeed computing at any cost. Sure, P4 platforms are reliable but a carefully assembled Palomino or T-bred platform can be as reliable. Back when AMD 760 chipset got out, I assembled some platforms based on this one. Now THAT was a good chipset for Athlons. I haven't hear any complaints from people yet. Enough said.
Thanks for your insight!

April 25, 2002 4:35:23 PM

the only apparent difference in the 420 and 415 is the vid... however, the 415 significantly out-performs the 420, via266e, and hangs well with the via333. also, as would seem logical, gforce cards work well with the nforce chipset, which isnt the first thing i would say about via... and the nforce 415 is easy to build, and very stable, not completely true of the via's either. (sorry, tilepusher)this can be had for about $100 us, including dolby 5.1 digital sound, and realtek onboard lan... probably the best to be had in those two areas.
I hear ya on using ati for apps other than gaming... but there are several gforce solutions out there that are quality for what you are doing, including one reviewed right here on toms hardware, i believe.... i apologize for not having the link.
good luck,
tannji
April 25, 2002 6:55:52 PM

The 415D seems the way to go for me. I just hope the marriage with my ATi 8500DV will last.
Thanks to all of you for your inputs.
If anybody else has relevant info to provide, please feel free to do so. I need as much info (conflicts or not) as possible about a possible mix of nForce and ATi 8500DV.

June 13, 2009 6:42:11 PM

I'm not too sure about your conflict problem, but I have had issues with an nForce / Radeon combo in the past with my system.
!