Sign in with
Your question

smooth gaming with 7800 gtx??don't think so...

Last response: in Video Games
March 22, 2006 12:54:00 AM

hi there. sorry for english(i am greek)
i am currently running need for speed most wanted at 1024*768, fsaa and texture filtering not in a highest mode and vsync deactivated.
my graphics card is msi 7800gtx 256 mb and the cpu is intel pentium 830, mobo asus p5wd3 premium. the problem is that the game isn't 100%smooth. i tried overclocking the card with the msi software but nothing happened. i also tried the new nvidia drivers but the situation got worst.so the question is...
is that all this graphics card can give??if the answear is yes then i am really dissapointed because i paid 340 pounds to get it 4 months ago.do i have to go sli to enjoy gaming??damn...life sucks!!

More about : smooth gaming 7800 gtx

March 22, 2006 11:18:14 AM

Give us your full specs. :?
March 22, 2006 12:32:36 PM

thank you for your response. i really appreciate that. my specs are;
intel pentium D 830
ASUS P5WD2 premium
2*512 corsair 5400 UL
MSI 7800 GTX
2*74 WD raptors in raid 0
1 wd sata2 2500KS
cpu is currently running at 3.36ghz locked at 14x
fsb value 240
dram settings 3-2-3-8
memory frequency 640mhz
i have my windows installed for 3 months now. do u think a new installation will help??thanks
ah...and something else. i have peg link value in bios set in fast (my pc crashes at faster) but it didn't help.
thanks!!
Related resources
March 22, 2006 12:46:50 PM

You should increase your ramage up to 2Gb for better perfomance. FEAR takes out of ram space like BF2. Second thing, download the 84.20 driver from Nividia. I got it and boy it gives me more performance over FEAR! Im not joking I got over 50fps and now I get 83fps on average with the highest settings and 1280x960 res. :D  Try that out and see what happens.
March 22, 2006 1:46:15 PM

I have a 7800 GTX and I am running NFSMW with (nearly) maxed out settings at 1600x1200 and it's smooth as silk. My processor is a 4400x2 (clocked at 4800x2 speed) and 1GB of memory.
March 22, 2006 5:07:14 PM

really??i am impressed because everybody tell me to add onother 1 gig of memory mentioning that this is the source of the problem in general. of course your cpu is much better than mine's but do u think an intel dual core can't run a game properly?i really don't wanna pay 200 pounds for onother gig of those corsair memories.thanks
March 23, 2006 11:06:55 PM

possibly processor limited cause of resolution.

i can play NFSMW at 1280*1024 with max everything smoothly but i have 2gig of RAM(spec below).
March 24, 2006 8:12:03 AM

windows xp. amd are better that intel that is the fact. but is it possible for an intel dual core not to be able to play this game??i really don't know. anyway thanks for your help!!
March 24, 2006 10:23:59 AM

Ram is hardly your problem. Check your settings and try different drivers for the card.

More importantly have you checked for NFS:MW forums which may detail a problem with your dual core cpu? It's more likely that's the issue rather than the gfx card.
March 24, 2006 2:30:08 PM

can i just say something how are you testing the FPS? cause racing games generally have a top FPS of around 30 not like first person games that require an fps of 60 or higher... alot of ppl make the mistake of thinking there racing game is slow when its not.
March 24, 2006 5:58:00 PM

the truth is that i didn't test my fps because i don't know how to do that. i can just notice that gameplay isn't smooth enough. i tried setting the affinity to 1 but it didn't work.some people told me that the source of the problem is that o have installed video drivers prior to chipset drivers. how do u think of that??
thanks
March 24, 2006 7:29:44 PM

Quote:
hi there. sorry for english(i am greek)
i am currently running need for speed most wanted at 1024*768, fsaa and texture filtering not in a highest mode and vsync deactivated.
my graphics card is msi 7800gtx 256 mb and the cpu is intel pentium 830, mobo asus p5wd3 premium. the problem is that the game isn't 100%smooth. i tried overclocking the card with the msi software but nothing happened. i also tried the new nvidia drivers but the situation got worst.so the question is...
is that all this graphics card can give??if the answear is yes then i am really dissapointed because i paid 340 pounds to get it 4 months ago.do i have to go sli to enjoy gaming??damn...life sucks!!

I'd be willing to bet you that the source of your problem is your CPU; it's a dual-core 3.0GHz Pentium. If you only get to use one core, and with many games, even one core doesn't work well, then your performance could very well suffer. I'd make sure that your drivers are up-to-date for everything, and that you have excess programs cleared off while playing; with that sort of card, you should be able to get 60fps in ANYTHING at 1024x768, not just NFS Most Wanted, but F.E.A.R., and even yes, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Test to see that your card is NOT the source of the problem: Raise the resolution. A LOT. You'll likely notice that it doesn't run any slower. Next, lower the resolution, to the MINIMUM. Again, you'll see no change in smoothness. This is because your video card is handling everything fine; the bottleneck is elsewhere.
March 24, 2006 8:06:17 PM

please have a look at this site

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...

this shows my cpu above 100fps. so i really don't think this is the problem even if it is much worse than an amd. i can't test my card in resolutions above 1280*1024 because it is not supported by my monitor.

thanks for your help!
March 26, 2006 6:11:25 PM

But also consider what game is being used in that benchmark you linked, its UT 2004, Its aged many more years then Need for Speed, Your CPU could and probably is faulty, or it is using 1 of the processors cores, that could bog it down immensly, or maybe your picky, or your moniter's refresh rate is too low. I GARUNTEE ITS NOT THE GRAPHICS CARD. :wink:
March 26, 2006 11:42:50 PM

Check Tweakguides.com, download and read his general tweak guide, it solves many problems. Site might be down at the moment as he moves to a better server.
March 27, 2006 9:05:14 AM

The point we are making is that you can have affinity problems with dualcore cpus.

Download a tiny program called fraps and run it while playing NFS and tell us the avg FPS.

Failing that uninstall the game. It's shit anyway :D 
March 27, 2006 12:12:13 PM

Your monitor doesn’t sound to hot if it can’t go over 1280* 1024. What refresh rate are you playing at? In the Nvidia display setting there is “override refresh rate”, but you need to install “coolbits2” or some other tool for this option to show. A good refresh rate for 1024* 768 would be 100 Hz and I notice a 10 point increase in fps going up to 120, which is a big difference because I like fps over 60. You can download “fraps” and try changing settings around, but I don’t think you will get to far if you refresh rate on your monitor is limiting you.
March 27, 2006 7:04:16 PM

hello again. my average fps at 1280*1024 was about 35 in addition to 1024*768 where it were 45-50. what do you think about these figures? all game settings were in high quality and vsync disabled.
thanks
March 27, 2006 7:09:52 PM

my monitor specs are 1024*768 at 100hz and 1280*1024 at 72 hz. i really don't know how to install coolbits2. can u help me with that?
thanks
March 27, 2006 10:17:33 PM

the 1280*1024 seems low

i just ran fraps and recorded mine i got, with max everything, AAx2(cause its really not noticable at all in this game)

Min

Max

Avg

and if your interested

Frames

Time (ms)

btw it looks like the 22 was achieved when i drove into the water barrels and got surronded lol, either that or when the gas station blew up.
March 28, 2006 1:33:55 AM

Just download and install coolbits2 here. Then go into the Nvidia display setting and look for the override refresh rate. If you can’t get any better refresh rate then you’ll have to use different settings to get the fps up.
March 28, 2006 12:55:45 PM

try increasing virtual memory.
clean all unwanted files.
defragment hard drive.
if u reload window it will give u better performance.
nfsmw graphic engine is very heavy even for 7800 gtx.
March 28, 2006 1:36:54 PM

Quote:
Just download and install coolbits2 here. Then go into the Nvidia display setting and look for the override refresh rate. If you can’t get any better refresh rate then you’ll have to use different settings to get the fps up.

refresh rate doesnt matter, not unless you have vsync on, if you do overide your refresh rate or use one higher than the monitor supports you will blow it up yes i know ive done it before my 20inch went POP! cause i ran it at 70hz instead of the 60 it was rated at.

like i said before its only vsync that limits your fps to a percentage of your refresh rate, so just turn it off.
March 28, 2006 7:56:56 PM

Yeah you’re right it doesn’t matter with vsync off. I’m use to having it always on. My bad.
March 28, 2006 9:26:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah you’re right it doesn’t matter with vsync off. I’m use to having it always on. My bad.

why you should just take it off pretty usless if your monitor has a refresh of 70, since not many games go over this and even more games are limited to 60fps for example Quake 4 is limited to just 60 its as high as it will go(you can turn off this limit but you dont need to) my WoW is limited to 64.1FPS (i dont have vsync on)
March 29, 2006 1:43:01 AM

have you done a virus scan?? i find that sometimes effects my game play??
March 29, 2006 9:37:48 AM

I didn’t think vsync was useless. UT use to “play smoother” for me and some games had “tearing”, so since then my first choice was to leave it on. It would seem to me on would be the quality setting and off would be for performance. I always shoot for quality, to much in fact. Haha. Your right if it isn’t helping there is no reason to have it on. Thanks for correcting me and I’ll keep that in mind when I find myself tweaking the controls.
March 30, 2006 5:02:15 AM

Well your not alone in this issue. Its not that the game isn't smooth, It's that when using a high end GPU like a 7800 GTX the frames shoot up to 50, 60 when driving without other racers or alot of crashes. Racing games are smooth at 30 FPS, but when the FPS is as high as 55 and you crash all of a sudden, or come in contact with alot of race cars they FPS drops quickly to about 40-30, this quick drop gives a slight stutter.

I have this same issue with my 7900GT. On 1280x1024 the frames are as high as 69 FPS at some places, then during a crash they'll drop to 40-30 causing a slight hitch because of the drop. My Frames measured using fraps were 48.5 average, 68 max, and 25 min. But I still get these stutters because the frame rate is jumping from 30-68, or vice versa during some areas.

The only remedy would to turn on v sync which will limit your frames and stop them from jumping above 45. This way when you crash, etc the frames will drop to about 38-30 and you won't have a hitch like you would when the frames drop from 50-30. I tried this and it's ok since a game like that is very playable at 30-45 fps. That way you won't have the fps jumping from 60-30, etc. Therefore eliminating the hitches. 2 gig of ram would be better as it would dtop the constant loading of textures back and forth from the memory to the HD.
March 30, 2006 10:48:21 AM

Vsync really only affects CRT monitors to prevent "tearing" of straight edges when your pc is refreshing faster than you monitor. As the refresh rate of TFTs is different to that of CRT monitors vsync isn't effective. Or at least that's my understanding.

Anyway with my native res of 1280*1024 vsync and tearing issues don't occur anymore cos the pc has enough trouble as it is running games at that res.
March 30, 2006 1:02:20 PM

What is all this talk of Virus scans and Vsynk....

If you get stuttering and pausing of graphics on games it is normaly always due to the lack of enough ram on the System. If you get the same FPS as everyone else but always judder then that is a tail tail sign to needing more ram.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Vsynk caps the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor (use on CRT only) this is where the problems with Vsynk come in to play (example 60Hz monitor):

For Vsynk to work correctly your GFX card has to be filling the full quota of FPS that your monitor is showing in this example 60Hz = 60FPS. When your GFX card can not keep up with that quota you get slow down (lots of slow down).

How this slow down is made is via the Vsynk rulls every frame from the GFX card has to be the same on every refresh (full picture) displayed on the monitor. So to get round this if Vsynk is set to 60Hz (60FPS) it will then slice the FPS in half to 30FPS so this means every 2 refresh's (full picture) gets the same frame from the GFX card.

Now what happens if your GFX card can not produce 30FPS!!! well you guessed it it cust that in half again (15FPS) making the same frame from the GFX card stay on your monitor over 4 whole refresh's!!!

But thankfully all is not lost for Vsynk junkys there is a setting called Tripple Buffering which eliminates this problem with Vsynk although the game does not apear to slow down the Frames seen on the monitor are actualy being reduced in the same fashon.

So a boot note never use Vsynk if you like constant high frames or dont have a VERY powerfull GFX card(s) or even if you use Tripple buffering when your FPS ever dip under 30FPS.

Note: tearing is not as bad with Vsynk off on monitors with higher refreshes (90Hz+) and resolutions (1280X1024+)
March 30, 2006 5:16:26 PM

you're right about the fps. i tried setting vsync on ,the fps were more stable at around 35. no smoothness increase though, i really don't know why. no viruses no spyware, i have a completely fresh windows installation.maybe is the lack of memory eventually.damn...i need 200 pounds. i think i'm gonna start saving....!!
!