Sign in with
Your question

Unlock apple macbook pro

Last response: in Mac Os X
September 3, 2011 11:16:03 AM

Hello,
i neednto know how to unlock my apple mac book pro i have no disk and have forgotten the password
September 3, 2011 11:54:41 PM

Command + S on boot

Once in single user mode :
/sbin/mount -uw /
*RETURN*
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
*RETURN*
reboot
*RETURN*

Now this will take you into the intro movie screen like the first day you booted your computer. Don't freak out, all you have done is removed the little tag that told your computer you finished setup you have not deleted anything important. So you will go through the entire process as if you're computer were new and set up a New Admin account. With a new admin account you basically can change anything you want :) .. hope this helps. Also this is a good reason to block shortcut keys on boot if you have a lot of people around your computer unattended.

Hope this helps.

CAUTION- BE careful in terminal. It is not a place to fool around if you do not know what you are doing.

m
l
December 20, 2011 6:08:29 PM

Hello,
i need to know how to unlock my apple mac book pro i have no disk and have forgotten the password
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2011 1:23:10 AM

clews said:
Hello,
i need to know how to unlock my apple mac book pro i have no disk and have forgotten the password
How do I know you really own this MBP ? Could be a scam going around. Have to be very cautious today.
m
l
December 21, 2011 3:54:44 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1163-69-admin-passwor...

More likely than not thevies will just do a reinstallation of the OS to resell the laptop or use a different OS to extract the personal information off the hard disk. It would be rare for a thief to reuse an installation because it may tell the next owner that it was stolen etc.
m
l
December 22, 2011 12:28:36 AM

amdfangirl said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1163-69-admin-passwor...

More likely than not thevies will just do a reinstallation of the OS to resell the laptop or use a different OS to extract the personal information off the hard disk. It would be rare for a thief to reuse an installation because it may tell the next owner that it was stolen etc.
Hopefully you are correct.
m
l
December 22, 2011 5:24:45 AM

Well it is the logical thing to do.

Unfortunately people are not so logical.

We can only hope.
m
l
December 23, 2011 12:39:13 AM

amdfangirl said:
Well it is the logical thing to do.

Unfortunately people are not so logical.

We can only hope.
That is the problem we are confronted with today logic is not used.
m
l
December 25, 2011 9:18:20 PM

musical marv said:
That is the problem we are confronted with today logic is not used.

You're absolutely right. If that problem wouldn't exist, people wouldn't buy anything from Apple. :) 
m
l
December 26, 2011 1:09:08 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
You're absolutely right. If that problem wouldn't exist, people wouldn't buy anything from Apple. :) 
I mean logic what you think about and do in life. Not apple all the time.
m
l
December 26, 2011 1:20:27 AM

musical marv said:
I mean logic what you think about and do in life. Not apple all the time.

Purchase decisions are part of what you do in life.
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:32:55 AM

thanks it works fine. pls how can i delete the other admin account completely from the computer
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:33:07 AM

thanks it works fine. pls how can i delete the other admin account completely from the computer
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:33:14 AM

m
l
August 11, 2012 5:39:50 PM

Are you kidding me? You are telling this person how to unlock a computer that has been lock without the proper password. I recently had my Mac Book Pro stolen and you just now haven given someone like that the ability to get into my computer? WOW. Could you make it any easier? I waited a long time for him just to get online to get it locked. Now he has the tools to unlock it? Think about what you're doing before you post such things.

roagie said:
Command + S on boot

Once in single user mode :
/sbin/mount -uw /
*RETURN*
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
*RETURN*
reboot
*RETURN*

Now this will take you into the intro movie screen like the first day you booted your computer. Don't freak out, all you have done is removed the little tag that told your computer you finished setup you have not deleted anything important. So you will go through the entire process as if you're computer were new and set up a New Admin account. With a new admin account you basically can change anything you want :) .. hope this helps. Also this is a good reason to block shortcut keys on boot if you have a lot of people around your computer unattended.

Hope this helps.

CAUTION- BE careful in terminal. It is not a place to fool around if you do not know what you are doing.
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:00:58 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Purchase decisions are part of what you do in life.
Sometimes we do not make wise decisions in life.
m
l
August 21, 2012 8:27:52 AM

billie_56 said:
Hello,
i neednto know how to unlock my apple mac book pro i have no disk and have forgotten the password

if you dont mind to lose your stuff on your laptop press the alt option button when you turn it on use the recovery driver. this will make it set back to factory settings.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:05:05 AM

In OSX 10.7/10.8:
Boot into recovery partition, then utilities->terminal $ resetpassword.
m
l
!