cursor jumps--Inspiron 2200

New user here. I noticed that sometimes when typing an email, the cursor
suddenly jumps elsewhere, up or down a few lines. I'm just not sure what's
doing that. I don't think my fingers are hitting the fingerpad or anything
else.

Any ideas?? (I haven't noticed this happening when I type on a word
processor -- it's mostly on email/newsgroup postings)

Mel

try turning off the tapping on the touchpad and see if that helps.
static electricity of your hand near the touchpad could cause that.
the settings are under control panel, mouse.

"Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message
> try turning off the tapping on the touchpad and see if that helps.
> static electricity of your hand near the touchpad could cause that.
> the settings are under control panel, mouse.

Depending on the touch pad driver there is also a touch/tap sensitivity
setting. Look over the setting and set this so that it's not so sensitive.

--

Rob

I don't see any settings for the touchpad

Mel
"Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message
> try turning off the tapping on the touchpad and see if that helps.
> static electricity of your hand near the touchpad could cause that.
> the settings are under control panel, mouse.
>
> MZB wrote:
>> New user here. I noticed that sometimes when typing an email, the cursor
>> suddenly jumps elsewhere, up or down a few lines. I'm just not sure
>> what's doing that. I don't think my fingers are hitting the fingerpad or
>> anything else.
>>
>> Any ideas?? (I haven't noticed this happening when I type on a word
>> processor -- it's mostly on email/newsgroup postings)
>>
>> Mel

Can't seem to find that item.

MB
"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message
>> try turning off the tapping on the touchpad and see if that helps.
>> static electricity of your hand near the touchpad could cause that.
>> the settings are under control panel, mouse.
>>

> Depending on the touch pad driver there is also a touch/tap sensitivity
> setting. Look over the setting and set this so that it's not so
> sensitive.
>
> --
>
> Rob

if you go to control panel, mouse, and dont see settings for touchpad
specifically tapping, then you arerunning the wrong driver for the
touchpad. go to dell support site and download the synaptics driver for
your model laptop.
it must be the right driver for the extended functions to be controlled
right, or they will not work right.

MZB wrote:

> I don't see any settings for the touchpad
>
> Mel
> "Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message
>
>>try turning off the tapping on the touchpad and see if that helps.
>>static electricity of your hand near the touchpad could cause that.
>>the settings are under control panel, mouse.
>>
>>MZB wrote:
>>
>>>New user here. I noticed that sometimes when typing an email, the cursor
>>>suddenly jumps elsewhere, up or down a few lines. I'm just not sure
>>>what's doing that. I don't think my fingers are hitting the fingerpad or
>>>anything else.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?? (I haven't noticed this happening when I type on a word
>>>processor -- it's mostly on email/newsgroup postings)
>>>
>>>Mel

It might be because I've installed a labtec optical mouse??
> if you go to control panel, mouse, and dont see settings for touchpad
> specifically tapping, then you arerunning the wrong driver for the
> touchpad. go to dell support site and download the synaptics driver for
> your model laptop.
> it must be the right driver for the extended functions to be controlled
> right, or they will not work right.
>
> MZB wrote:
>
>> I don't see any settings for the touchpad
>>
>> Mel
>> "Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>try turning off the tapping on the touchpad and see if that helps.
>>>static electricity of your hand near the touchpad could cause that.
>>>the settings are under control panel, mouse.

Jay:

That was it. I did find the driver and installed.

Mel
"Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message
> if you go to control panel, mouse, and dont see settings for touchpad
> specifically tapping, then you arerunning the wrong driver for the
> touchpad. go to dell support site and download the synaptics driver for
> your model laptop.
> it must be the right driver for the extended functions to be controlled
> right, or they will not work right.
>
> MZB wrote:
>
>> I don't see any settings for the touchpad
>>
>> Mel
>> "Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>try turning off the tapping on the touchpad and see if that helps.
>>>static electricity of your hand near the touchpad could cause that.
>>>the settings are under control panel, mouse.

You're welcome!

MZB wrote:

> Jay:
>
> That was it. I did find the driver and installed.
>
> Mel
> "Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message
>
>>if you go to control panel, mouse, and dont see settings for touchpad
>>specifically tapping, then you arerunning the wrong driver for the
>>touchpad. go to dell support site and download the synaptics driver for
>>your model laptop.
>>it must be the right driver for the extended functions to be controlled
>>right, or they will not work right.
>>
>>MZB wrote:
>>

>>>I don't see any settings for the touchpad
>>>
>>>Mel
>>>"Jay B" <jayb@audiman.net> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS