sound hardware test wizard

Re my last post (dvpsetup, 4/1/2004) acceleration is set to full and sample rateconnversion quality to Best. The wizard stillgives error message and "Use Add/Remove...." Grateful for any other suggestions.

coliboy wrote:
> Re my last post (dvpsetup, 4/1/2004) acceleration is set to full and
> sample rateconnversion quality to Best. The wizard stillgives error
> message and "Use Add/Remove...." Grateful for any other suggestions.

You should find the original thread that you are referring to and post a
reply in that thread. You won't find many people who will go searching for
the other thread to see what your talking about. Or, you could at least
include the details of the problem.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

My apologies. I'm not only new to XP but not aware of all the protocols of the newsgroup.
Original problem was that when trying to use sound hardware test wizard I got message "..could not execute dvpsetup.exe. Use Add/Remove programs to install". In a reply, I was directed to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282882, which in essence said to move acceleration slider to the right. After checking this, I find that both sliders on the Advanced audio properties>performance tab are already all the way to the right. So this hasn't solved my problem. Might you have another solution? My Thanks.

"coliboy" said in
> My apologies. I'm not only new to XP but not aware of all the
> protocols of the newsgroup.
> Original problem was that when trying to use sound hardware test
> wizard I got message "..could not execute dvpsetup.exe. Use
> Add/Remove programs to install". In a reply, I was directed to
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282882, which in essence said to
> move acceleration slider to the right. After checking this, I find
> that both sliders on the Advanced audio properties>performance tab
> are already all the way to the right. So this hasn't solved my
> problem. Might you have another solution? My Thanks.

So is it "dpvsetup.exe" (as mentioned in your KB link) or is it
"dvpsetup.exe" as you mention in the error message?

The KB article you linked to is regarding DPVSETUP.EXE. However, the
only KB article I could find regarding DVPSETUP.EXE (as you state in the
error message) is:

SideWinder Game Voice 1.0: Error Message: An Error Occurred During
Direct Play Voice Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810686

"... sound hardware test wizard ..."

Whose wizard is that? Sidewinder's Audio Test Wizard?

In the "Sounds and Audio Devices" applet in Control Panel, under the
Audio tab, what devices are selected for playback and recording?

Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others. E-mail not accepted.

I Dunno. Here's details of what happens:
From Loudspeaker icon in taskbar clicked on Adjust Audio Properties. In Sound and Audio Devices Properties click Voice tab. (Playback and recording devices are Realtek AC97 Audio) From the Voice tab click "Test Hardware". Sound Hardware test wizard appears>next, green bar fills then I get message " Microsoft DirectPlay Voice test has encountered a problem and needs to close" Sent error report. Next smaller window says "DirectPlay Voice Setup. An error occurred during DirectPlay Voice Setup, Error code 0x80004005" clicked OK. Then get " Windows Error. Windows cannot execute DpvSetup.exe, use Add/Remove Programs to install"
Sorry if thats long winded but that's the story from start to finish step by step. Cheers.

coliboy wrote:
> I Dunno. Here's details of what happens:
> From Loudspeaker icon in taskbar clicked on Adjust Audio Properties.
> In Sound and Audio Devices Properties click Voice tab. (Playback and
> recording devices are Realtek AC97 Audio) From the Voice tab click
> "Test Hardware". Sound Hardware test wizard appears>next, green bar
> fills then I get message " Microsoft DirectPlay Voice test has
> encountered a problem and needs to close" Sent error report. Next
> smaller window says "DirectPlay Voice Setup. An error occurred during
> DirectPlay Voice Setup, Error code 0x80004005" clicked OK. Then get
> " Windows Error. Windows cannot execute DpvSetup.exe, use Add/Remove
> Programs to install" Sorry if thats long winded but that's the story
> from start to finish step by step. Cheers.

Which version of DirectX do you have installed? I think the latest is 9.0b,
check this by going to Start/Run and type dxdiag and press OK. The version
should be in the last line in the System Information section. If it is less
than 9.0b you can get the latest version here:

DirectX 9.0b End-User Runtime:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=141d5f9e-07c1-462a-baef-5eab5c851cf5&DisplayLang=en

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

"coliboy" said in
<snip>
> ... (Playback and
> recording devices are Realtek AC97 Audio) ...
<snip>

Since you are using onboard audio, have you installed the motherboard's
chipset driver package?

Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others. E-mail not accepted.

To Ronnie Vernon.. Yes , DirectX Version listed as 9.0b(4.09.0000.0902)
To *Vanguard*... Motherboard chipset driver package is rocket science to me. But willing to learn rocket science!
Incidentally, the sound hardware test wizard has worked inthe past. Cheers!

Coliboy:

If you have a creative sound card and use mcafees anti/firwall this is whats causing the error. You may want to try uninstall mcafee and run the test again. When I stopped using Mcafee the error disappeared. I was using Mcafee 7.0 professional. When I uninstalled Mcafees the error disappeared.

Good luck with it.

Tracy