SE440BX-2 Help!!!

viewbr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
I got myself in a pickle, is there a Intel expert at hand that can help me? I have a Intel SE440bx-2 M/B, revision: AA-720938-214 with an Intel P3-600E secc Processor. After reviewing the intel site I decided to flash my bios from a P14 to a P17 version upgrade. After flashing the bios and apon boot, I received this message:Error: "Warning: This motherboard is not compatible with this processor's voltage requirements. The system has been halted. Either upgrade the motherboard or install a non-E or non-EB designated Intel(R) Pentium(R) III processor 600MHz or slower."

I reflashed to the original version P14 (that I downloaded) and I still get this message! Note* (I am only going by memory, I think I started with this bios in my working system.)

I have contacted Intel for help, but who knows how long or when or if that will come.

The bottom line is what is the highest bios upgrade that will work with my M/B processor combination and where can I download it. (According to what I read at the Intel site this Processor should not work with my M/B revision, but it did until I flashed it!)
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/procsupp.htm

Thanks in Advance!

hammad

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
i have a intel se440bx2 mb and a 800 mhz p3 its just working fine with a 3 year old bios,i think that something goes wrong with your bios during the update process and you contact your vendor.

viewbr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Well I am out of the pickle! I reflashed with a P11 bios, I found this to match my M/B in a Techinical Serivice bulletin. I still would like to know how high I can go with the bios thou, since bios upgrades go to P17 and I know p14 will not work. I will not experiment any longer thou, till I know for sure!

Thanks for the help and any future help..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It may be an early board with VRM 8.2 instead of VRM 8.4. If that is the case, the fact that it even fires up at a higher voltage is amazing, usually BIOS prevents that. But I don't think this is the case, instead I feel that Intel is up to some kind of trickery.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

viewbr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
It is running at 598 mhz, but reports a 500mhz processor:
Processor
Model Intel(R) Pentium(R) III
Co-Processor (FPU) Built-in
Speed 599MHz
Performance Rating PR719 (estimated)
Type Standard
Packaging SECC(2) Slot1
Multiplier 6x
Generation 6th (6x86)
Model Information P6C (Coppermine) Pentium III E 500-1.13G 1.3-1.75V
Revision/Stepping 8 / 1 (2)

I am no expert with Processors, what do you recommend, replace the P3-600E with a P3-600 and upgrade the bios, or just keep using it till it dies?

Thanks for your interest, Patrick
p.s. Here is the responce from Intel:
Due to your AA revision this processor is not supported on this board. Processors not specifically listed by type and rated speed may have requirements that are not supported by the desktop board's design. Use of unsupported processors may result in improper operation, damage to the desktop board or processor, or reduced product life.

For a full list of supported processors for the Intel(R) SE440BX-2 Motherboard, please refer to the following:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/procsupp.htm

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As long as it runs OK, leave it be! The cheapest solution is to get a newer BX board, such as the Soyo SY6-BA+III at www.justdeals.com for only $40. It will also allow you to overclock that CPU to 800 at 133FSB, or 900 at 150FSB, depending on you're memory and video card.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Id leave it be if its running stable. No reason to waste money on a new board. Save it and when this gets too slow for you grab a P4/Athlon/Opteron =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!