win2k network permissions PLEASE HELP!

stadion1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Ok:

There are two Win2k computers:

Computer one has DSL, a Printer, and is networked to Computer two via crossover cable.
Computer two only has Computer one connected to it, via that crossover.

Basically, the second computer is mooching off of the first ones DSL internet, and printer. The problem:

All local permissions work, I can add any user to any group. But anytime I am in a permissions window and click 'Add', I cannot add a user from the other machine.

So adding \\COMPUTER1\USERNAME to COMPUTER1 Admin group will work.

Adding \\COMPUTER2\USERNAME to COMPUTER1 Admin group will not.

Also, using the drop down list for "Look in" on the 'Add' page won't work, the menu is grayed out and the name of the local machine is in the box.

The Internet Connection Sharing is working, but I can't effectively share the printer without adding rights to users from the other computer!!! Not to mention that I need to set up a few network shares as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Anyone have any ideas?

Renae

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2004
Have you checked the basics? Make sure the computer names are the same in all computers and that your network names are also all the same?

I made that mistake!. :)

stadion1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
yes, I have checked...they are in a plain workgroup. Both of them have the same workgroup name.

Here is another question for any responders:

The DSL connects via USB cable, and that connection is set to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically'

The other machine is also set to obtain automatically so that the Internet Connection Sharing will work...I did 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' and that is what got the ICS working.

Should the NIC card on the FIRST machine with the DSL be STATIC IP or AUTO OBTAIN? Does it matter?