Changing BIOS

April 4, 2004 9:08:27 AM

How do I go about changing BIOS settings please? I need
to change my default TV-out setting from NTSC to PAL.
(Packard Bell computer) Frightens me to death just
thinking about it!!

More about : changing bios

Anonymous
April 4, 2004 12:22:07 PM

Greetings --

The specific instructions you need will either be in the
computer's manual, or on the manufacturer's web site.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"loopdiloop" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I go about changing BIOS settings please? I need
> to change my default TV-out setting from NTSC to PAL.
> (Packard Bell computer) Frightens me to death just
> thinking about it!!
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 6:39:48 PM

Hi,
I upgraded my hard drive, installed windows xp pro.
When I contacted Award Bios to see if there was an update for it,there
was. I paid $40.00 for the e-mail flash. Then received it- copied it
to a floppy. When I booted up the computer, It did not work. the
floppy had no enough space. called award back (tech support) and he
yelled go to "What you do before calling tech support". I downloaded
boot 98se program. Copied it to a floppy and added their files also.
The tech had me remove a lot of files that was not needed. Then added
necessary files. It still did not work. So Award sent me a chip puller
and new chip. I installed it and still would not boot up correctly.
The tech support then had me remove the battery for 8 hours.
That still did not work,so I reinstalled the original chip. Now it
boots up ok, But forgets the last settings. I removed the
battery-Installed it so I can see the + and - signs.
Now it's ok.
I still would like to flash the chip. But Awards tech support needs
help!
Its a Packard bell model 880 Cyrix 6x86 MX processor 244MHZ
256 Ram
Hope you can help me.
Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
April 5, 2004 1:33:07 AM

You need a basic "boot floppy". Win98 boot disk is far from basic!

Here's what you do. Boot the computer using the Win98 boot floppy. Remove
the floppy. Install a clean floppy. Format the floppy using "format a: /s"
without the quotes. This will give you a base boot floppy.

Now you have to copy the flash program and the necessary .bin file to the
floppy you just made.

Reboot, using the floppy you just made, and flash the bios - using the
instructions you have printed out. Screw up and you have an expensive paper
weight!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I upgraded my hard drive, installed windows xp pro.
> When I contacted Award Bios to see if there was an update for it,there
> was. I paid $40.00 for the e-mail flash. Then received it- copied it
> to a floppy. When I booted up the computer, It did not work. the
> floppy had no enough space. called award back (tech support) and he
> yelled go to "What you do before calling tech support". I downloaded
> boot 98se program. Copied it to a floppy and added their files also.
> The tech had me remove a lot of files that was not needed. Then added
> necessary files. It still did not work. So Award sent me a chip puller
> and new chip. I installed it and still would not boot up correctly.
> The tech support then had me remove the battery for 8 hours.
> That still did not work,so I reinstalled the original chip. Now it
> boots up ok, But forgets the last settings. I removed the
> battery-Installed it so I can see the + and - signs.
> Now it's ok.
> I still would like to flash the chip. But Awards tech support needs
> help!
> Its a Packard bell model 880 Cyrix 6x86 MX processor 244MHZ
> 256 Ram
> Hope you can help me.
> Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 2:49:59 PM

Thank you and yes I have been warned that 1 mistake could
fry the chip.
Thanks for your fast response.

!