Changing BIOS

How do I go about changing BIOS settings please? I need
to change my default TV-out setting from NTSC to PAL.
(Packard Bell computer) Frightens me to death just
thinking about it!!
4 answers Last reply
More about changing bios

    Greetings --

    The specific instructions you need will either be in the
    computer's manual, or on the manufacturer's web site.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "loopdiloop" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I go about changing BIOS settings please? I need
    > to change my default TV-out setting from NTSC to PAL.
    > (Packard Bell computer) Frightens me to death just
    > thinking about it!!

    Hi,
    I upgraded my hard drive, installed windows xp pro.
    When I contacted Award Bios to see if there was an update for it,there
    was. I paid $40.00 for the e-mail flash. Then received it- copied it
    to a floppy. When I booted up the computer, It did not work. the
    floppy had no enough space. called award back (tech support) and he
    yelled go to "What you do before calling tech support". I downloaded
    boot 98se program. Copied it to a floppy and added their files also.
    The tech had me remove a lot of files that was not needed. Then added
    necessary files. It still did not work. So Award sent me a chip puller
    and new chip. I installed it and still would not boot up correctly.
    The tech support then had me remove the battery for 8 hours.
    That still did not work,so I reinstalled the original chip. Now it
    boots up ok, But forgets the last settings. I removed the
    battery-Installed it so I can see the + and - signs.
    Now it's ok.
    I still would like to flash the chip. But Awards tech support needs
    help!
    Its a Packard bell model 880 Cyrix 6x86 MX processor 244MHZ
    256 Ram
    Hope you can help me.
    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    You need a basic "boot floppy". Win98 boot disk is far from basic!

    Here's what you do. Boot the computer using the Win98 boot floppy. Remove
    the floppy. Install a clean floppy. Format the floppy using "format a: /s"
    without the quotes. This will give you a base boot floppy.

    Now you have to copy the flash program and the necessary .bin file to the
    floppy you just made.

    Reboot, using the floppy you just made, and flash the bios - using the
    instructions you have printed out. Screw up and you have an expensive paper
    weight!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I upgraded my hard drive, installed windows xp pro.
    > When I contacted Award Bios to see if there was an update for it,there
    > was. I paid $40.00 for the e-mail flash. Then received it- copied it
    > to a floppy. When I booted up the computer, It did not work. the
    > floppy had no enough space. called award back (tech support) and he
    > yelled go to "What you do before calling tech support". I downloaded
    > boot 98se program. Copied it to a floppy and added their files also.
    > The tech had me remove a lot of files that was not needed. Then added
    > necessary files. It still did not work. So Award sent me a chip puller
    > and new chip. I installed it and still would not boot up correctly.
    > The tech support then had me remove the battery for 8 hours.
    > That still did not work,so I reinstalled the original chip. Now it
    > boots up ok, But forgets the last settings. I removed the
    > battery-Installed it so I can see the + and - signs.
    > Now it's ok.
    > I still would like to flash the chip. But Awards tech support needs
    > help!
    > Its a Packard bell model 880 Cyrix 6x86 MX processor 244MHZ
    > 256 Ram
    > Hope you can help me.
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Thank you and yes I have been warned that 1 mistake could
    fry the chip.
    Thanks for your fast response.

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:33:07 -0400, "Richard Urban"
    <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >You need a basic "boot floppy". Win98 boot disk is far from basic!
    >
    >Here's what you do. Boot the computer using the Win98 boot floppy. Remove
    >the floppy. Install a clean floppy. Format the floppy using "format a: /s"
    >without the quotes. This will give you a base boot floppy.
    >
    >Now you have to copy the flash program and the necessary .bin file to the
    >floppy you just made.
    >
    >Reboot, using the floppy you just made, and flash the bios - using the
    >instructions you have printed out. Screw up and you have an expensive paper
    >weight!

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

BIOS Microsoft Packard Bell Windows XP