HELP: Mystery Mobo needs new CPU

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
My friend has an old motherboard, and I need to find the fastest processor that it supports (it's currently running a P133). I've looked it over briefly, and I can't find any model numbers or anything on it. However, here is it's BIOS ID:

AMIBIOS 1.00.07.BY0R

I looked the BIOS ID up, and here's what I found:

Packard Bell LG 74CDT SUP (Intel OEM)
- or -
Legend 823CDT
- or -
Packard Bell "Pack-Mate 6100"

This is not surprising, since he tells me the POS was indeed originally a Packard Bell. However, my attempts at finding information about any of these motherboards have been unsuccessful.

I have two questions:

1) Where can I find specs for these boards?
and
2) How do I determine which board my friend has?

Bottom line is:
HOW FAST OF A PROCESSOR WILL THE BOARD SUPPORT?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

-DOOM

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Apparently it's an Intel PB600. Looks like Packard Bell support website is gone, but <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/lakes/8774/" target="_new">This guy</A> has some pretty good info. Particularly <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/lakes/8774/pb600.html" target="_new">here</A> on the PB600. Looks like some folks have managed to get a 200MMX working in that board. But IHMO it's not worth upgrading.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Thanks for the help, but I don't think that PB600 is the right board.

The board in question has:

o an INTEL chipset
o an AMI BIOS (1.00.07.BY0R)

The PB600 that you suggested has a VLSI chipset and a Phoenix BIOS. I checked the other boards on his page, and the closest I could match to my BIOS ID has a TRITON chipset, which is INTEL, is it not?

If this is right, then the board is a PB570, and it says that 133MHz is the max CPU supported. =( Oh well...

Are you sure there is no other site that might have a conflicting opinion?

Thanks

-DOOM

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
look for markings on the board concerning multipliers. If it has a max multiplier of 3x or less, you can still get 3.5x by using the 1.5x multiplier, these are the same for Pentium MMX CPU's. In that case, you should use a Pentium 233MMX. Even if it's a single voltage CPU board (3.3v), the 2.8v MMX CPU will work fine as long as you have a fan style cooler.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
oops, I screwed up. Just look up one row on the chart, and it looks like you've got the Intel Hillary. Again, people on usenet say they've got 200MMX overdrive to work.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>