sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Note:I have not played the game
I was watching Attack of the Show and they were talking about it and they said wait for it...it wasnt that good!!!
How could this be?
They said it had bad hit detection...spend 5 stinking years on a game and it has bad hit detection
But they said as a plus it was beatiful and also had over 200 hours of gameplay. I am still gonna pick it up though.
I think they were just being critical. What does everyone else think?
Has anyone that has played it tell me anything.Thanks

dwclou

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Lol it does not have bad hit detection. How can you even say that when you can shoot an arrow at somebodys neck and it actually sticks in their neck? Pretty good to me. And melee combat is easy to hit with too, provided you dont just flail around. Standing toe to toe with someone and clicking attack Diablo style will get you killed too.

Anyways, I am a few hours into the game (I have to work 8-5 :( ) and I am impressed overall, I can't even think of anything to complain about it. And by the way, my system rapes this game at 1680x1050 with everything maxed. Take that xbox fanboys. To all the people who swore that PC gaming was dead after the xbox 360, I laugh at you.

ATI x1900xtx
Athlon 64 4000+
2 gigs RAM 2-3-2-5

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
They could of meant that there is not a bonus when attacking a certain part of the body. Such as a head shot in Counter Strike. This was stated at the Oblivion forums quite a while back. So you could shoot any where on the body and get the same results damage wise. That is what they could have meant by bad hit detection. And if this is true, Attack of the Show is stupid because it was stated that it was going to be like that a long time before release.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Sessler is an IDIOT , Attack of the show is the worst review show ever , they gave Beseiger a 4 out of 5, It doesnt even score a 1 to anyone who has ever played it.

I bet most people have never heard of it , terrible game.

Oblivion is a great game and I like FPS and MMO's mainly.

I should make Sessler give me 50 bucks for letting me buy it.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I apologize for being rude here, but...

Why the heck are you listening to anything G4 says? They're just a company trying to capitalize on gamers, yet no serious gamer ever watches them.

They don't have a single freakin' clue what they're talking about. They're the ONLY review I've seen thus far, that has any audience, that gave the game less than an "A" equivalent rating. On average, it seems to be 95-96%. And I would have to concur. Hit detection is much better than they claim. Just because they couldn't hit with an arrow because it flew in an ARC, rather than an "instant hit" like the bullets in oh-so-many crappy FPS titles like Pariah, that G4 so much adores, doesn't make it "bad."

Sorry, but I have nothing but contempt for G4. Given that I'm normally a very friendly, and easy person, that says a lot about them.

EdwardTheLess

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Hahah! G4 what noobies!

Just because Oblivion is not like Morrowind where you just face in the general direction of what is attacking you to hit them does not mean this game has "bad hit dection" lol.

In Oblivion your weapon must hit the body of what your attacking in order to hit it......just like in real life. You can't swing you weapon or shoot your arrow six inches away from your target and get a hit like in Morrowind, and that great to me.

I allways thought it was stupid that your weapon did not have to hit the body of what you were attacking in Morrowind so the new system in Oblivion is just what I was looking for.

G4 crying about this is like the kid that crys that he did not win at something so they give him a ribbon for "being there". Is that what you want on your gravestone John Doe "He Showed Up".

"I did not win! This contest is stupid! Whaaaaaa!"

"My sword missed hitting the zombie by 6 inches and I did not get a hit Waaaaaa! This game is broken!"

bwill

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
My Verdict for Oblivion -

This game is just flat out awesome! I've logged 20+ hours so far and it just keeps gettin better. Runs smooth on my mid-range rig: Athlon XP 3000, ATI X800XT, 2GB Ram; Settings are 1024*768, 2X AA, View dist 100%, the rest on High except Shadows Low. Did get a small amount of slowdown in the Oblivion dimension at times.

My opinion of someone disliking this game is they are a hard core FPS fan or they are burnt out on playing games in general and should find some other kind of entertainment.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yeh I have to note on that I think the hit detection is too good... It's like the DOOM3 Engine where arrows can fly under arms and between legs (pixle perfect) Not like CS where you see blood splatter coming out of thin air near heads and stuff... Maybe they just got anoyed with the fact you have to be closer to hit them with shorter swards and vica versa.

I have the 360 Version and the PC version and I must say that my PC X800XT PE could actualy run the game in the same style as the 360 with the same FPS. Is the 360's GFX card not ment to be like twice as fast....

The thing I notice about the 360 Version is that the view distance on things like grass and rocks and even people and enemys is not as far as I would actualy like them to be and being a consol you cant change that which is very anoying... nothing more anoying that running in to an enemy because you cant sodding see them in time!!!

P.s. I have everything set to max on my PC but it is unplayable (20FPS) but I bet I could still get it looking better than the 360 Version with a little bit of tweeking.... and you cant beat a mouse and keyboard for First Person games since shooting the arrows with the joypad is VERY anoying since the AI makes them run from side to side when you have a bow and they are at a distance :mad:

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Objectivly, I would say Oblivion is a positive cross-breed between Morrowind and Fable. When I say positive, I mean it takes the good elements of both games, discard the annoying, and makes overall the best RPG ever created. (...aside from Baldur's Gate II maybe? ...maybe?)

Positive aspects: From Morrowind: Character customization
Non-linear questing
True sense of a world to explore
Nearly infinite playability
From Fable: Exciting combat
Lively graphics
Accessible quest systemNegative aspects removed: From Morrowind: Lack of direction
Abstract sense of character progression
Bad engine leading to: -crashes
-Short view distance
-Bleak, static world
From Fable: Arcade-like style
No challenge whatsoever
Lack of complexity

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
It has nothing in common with Fable besides them both being modern RPG titles.

"Exciting combat
Lively graphics
Accessible quest system" - these are all things that a whole lot of games have, and not even necessarily RPGs

Reyclaw

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Im about 30 some hours into the game. It gets boring. I dont feel any urge to play anymore. Game is fun for about the first 20-25 hours then I just got really bored with it. Maybe its just not for me.

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Why the heck are you listening to anything G4 says? They're just a company trying to capitalize on gamers, yet no serious gamer ever watches them.

Comcast (bless their hearts for my lovely cable connection :D ) should be SHOT for buying TechTV, firing everyone, and turning an absolutly fine network into a worthless piece of trash.

Fritz

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I've only played it for about 10 hours, but so far, it's great. I don't have a top of the line setup (see below), but I'm running it at 1152x864, with all the graphics options (HDR, shadows, etc) turned on high, and the games runs nice and smooth. No AA though, but I can live without that. I have a feeling I could turn it on and it would run just as good.

My only complaint is that I wish it had better gamepad support. I generally like to play with a gamepad instead of the keyboard, but the gamepad is so darn sensitive in this game, and I can't figure out how to turn it down. You bump the right stick just a bit and all of a sudden you're looking straight up or down.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I played it on X-box 360 and I disagree with what I had stated about G4. And one more thing. I used to love G4 then they ruined it with crap shows. still love xplay though.

kda

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I found Oblivion boring also. I wanted to like it and it played like a dream on my new high end machine but pretty soon the ability to wander endlessly became tiring. I kept trying to stay interested and play more, in hopes the game would get better but I finally had to face the fact that it wasn't fun any longer so I un-installed it.

I think for someone really into RPGs, this is acceptable, perhaps even fun. It seems it is not for all of us however.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Comcast (bless their hearts for my lovely cable connection :D ) should be SHOT for buying TechTV, firing everyone, and turning an absolutly fine network into a worthless piece of trash.

Fritz
Well, if TechTV was any good beforehand (I wouldn't know, as I never watched it at all until a little around a year ago) whatever it had is long gone now. Of course, the sheer idea of it seems stupid: a TV show for gamers. Even if one is a console gamer, that alone tends to correlate to enough technological aptitude that one would almost certainly be an Internet user as well. It doesn't take a powerful gaming PC to surf the 'Net for gaming news.

Objectivly, I would say Oblivion is a positive cross-breed between Morrowind and Fable. When I say positive, I mean it takes the good elements of both games, discard the annoying, and makes overall the best RPG ever created. (...aside from Baldur's Gate II maybe? ...maybe?)

<snip>[/list][/list]
Myself being objective here as well, I wonder why you bring Fable into this. I personally think it got far more credit than it deserved, particularly when many of the elements you highlight were pretty old when it brought them to the table in 2004. It was merely the first Xbox RPG (which, until recently, was largely an oxymoron, mind you) to bring those, as virtually everything had already been seen before.

I personally saw a number of other elements brought in, with some of the more prominent parts seemingly attempts at bringing in some of the greatness also seen in other popular titles like NeverWinter Nights, (which, as you will remember, I personally place well above BG2, Miniature Giant Space Hampsters or no) and Half-Life2. Whether they succeeded, of course, is up to one's own personal opinion. (in my opinion, it was a bit of a hit-and-miss thing)

Still, the game seemed to come out better for it. And I can say it doesn't feel like Fable to me, but perhaps that might be because I've spent very little time playing it, and indeed, don't own it. (or an Xbox, for that matter, though I've spent a lot of time playing on them. They just belonged to friends)

dhlucke

Polypheme
I've played it with two characters.

The first one was a generic, I didn't know what I was doing when I set it up, Battlemage. I played for about 65 hours and got to level 26. He sucked. I didn't know it then though.

I had a glitch where suddenly my mana was down from 300 something to an even 200. Decided to start over since it didn't seem to be a disease but an actual glitch. I've had it happen since then as well but that time I had a saved game to revert to. I really got screwed the first time. I should note that in those 65 hours I finished the dark brotherhood line, the arena, got into the arcane university, was doing some of the thiefs guild, and had done a few of the main quest missions.

The second time around I did a pure mage. I trained 5 times between each level (which is very hard to fund so I got back-logged by about 10 levels until I got to about level 28), and at about the 10 or 20 hour mark my character was the same 26 as before. This time around though the only thing I'd worked on was the mages guild and the arena. Huge difference. At 45 hours I'm level 38 (I think) and almost all my main stats are 100. I didn't bullshit around with trying to get +5 modifiers. I just played the game.

Yet I'm still not that powerfull. Being a mage is hard. The game is still really tough. The only thing that keeps me alive is invisibility. Killing is a lot harder than it looks being a mage though.

One thing that really makes life easier as a mage is the ability to get massivly rich once you figure things out. The second you're in the arcane university you should go and create a lvl 25 frenzy spell. It will make people insane and they'll slaughter each other. Then just pick up their loot and get rich. I've looted hundreds of apprentices. The problem is that it doesn't work anymore since they're all above 25 now. Was fun while it lasted. Creating potions is another good way. I have 70K gold and just about every spell out there.

All in all the game is awesome but it's pretty demanding. I wish the redraw distances were a bit farther. Unfortionatley I doubt a rig out there could handle it.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ah, one more thing. With all the game play I've seen a lot. Don't even think about playing this game in a linear way with just hack and slash. There's so much more to it.

As an example. There was a dungeon filled with necromancers and even with my Lich I couldn't beat them. I tried and tried. I finally came to the conclusion that I had to reduce their numbers a bit. The level had water moats on it so I took the spell "enemies explode" which blasts the crap out of everything and waited until the necromancer(s) were close to the moat. Boom! They get propelled into the water and won't get out until you leave the room and come back. They'll just talk trash while treading water. Did that to two of them.

Another dungeon had a bunch of necromancers (5 I think) that were creaming me. I just led them into traps and watched them kill themselves.

Become a vampire. It's damn hard! Changes the complexity of the game significantly since you're constantly burning up and having to worry about people not wanting to deal with you. I wouldn't bother with it later in the game but in the begining it's a huge boost in stats and spells.

This game is one of the few out there that made me go wow! When you've got 3 enemies, their summonded monsters, and a whole bunch of spells going off you should be impressed. If not, buy a new videocard. If anything, that frenzy level 25 in the arcane university is enough of a laugh to make the game worth playing just to get to that point. I think I got some of the semi-main characters killed though so we'll see if that's a problem down the road. You can cast it on civilians around guards as well which is pretty funny or on those around the arena so that you can loot the area without getting arrested.