mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On upgrading to XP, I find hyperlinks to other websites don't work. I click
on them and nothing happens. and I trued windows update and again nothing
happens, it doesn't link to the site. Can somebody suggest something please?

Do you have Internet Explorer 6? Windows and the Internet Explorer browser are two
different programs.
Maybe your cache is full, in IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Mick" <mick@ospamcityslicker.co.uk> wrote in message
> On upgrading to XP, I find hyperlinks to other websites don't work. I click
> on them and nothing happens. and I trued windows update and again nothing
> happens, it doesn't link to the site. Can somebody suggest something please?

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Nope, it's not that. It will go to a web page but it seems it can't transmit
any info(although sending emails is fine.). I.e. when I "press" a button to
log on to anything, nothing happens and when I try to do a windows update,
it goes tot he web page and says it's searching for updates but nothing
happens. Someone help please!
"Mary Sauer" <laserdog@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Do you have Internet Explorer 6? Windows and the Internet Explorer browser
are two
> different programs.
> Maybe your cache is full, in IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
> "Mick" <mick@ospamcityslicker.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On upgrading to XP, I find hyperlinks to other websites don't work. I
click
> > on them and nothing happens. and I trued windows update and again
nothing
> > happens, it doesn't link to the site. Can somebody suggest something
please?

Hi Mick,

Try this. Close IE and go to Start > Run and run the following commands one
after the other, each line followed by 'enter':
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 comcat.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll

Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message
stating the command was successful. Now reboot.

Regarding your problem with Windows Updates, see if you can find a fix here
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Regards

--
AnnMarie Scrimshaw