Sign in with
Your question

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Last response: in Video Games
March 23, 2006 12:07:18 PM

Anyone else got or getting this? Initial user reports are good especially the sys reqs.

I'm thinking I'll get it, I just hope it's a little less open ended as Morrowind and a bit more structured. Wolfy isn't fond of do what you like games as they quickly feel pointless.

Importantly I hope they solved my biggest gripe of the first game whereby traders often didn't have the money to buy your loot.

More about : elder scrolls oblivion

March 23, 2006 2:02:25 PM

Also check out the PC Gaming forum. Lot's of people inquiring there about Oblivion. I'm going to buy it, but not at the moment. Too busy with other stuf and this game is going to take a lot of my time, that's for sure.
March 23, 2006 3:11:31 PM

I plan on playing this one after this summer when the price (hopefully) goes down. I can't see myself playing it non-stop like I did Morrowind since I'm currently playing WoW with my wife. If Oblivion had LAN possibilities, there would be no question--that would be the game for me. I don't need to play with a million other people, and I'm not a fan of $15 per month, but it's really a lot of fun and WoW's graphics (although strange) are very colorful and unique.

I think Oblivion will blow any single-player game out of the water though. The Elder Scrolls folks are well-known for putting together a great product. I may have just changed my own mind... I might get it ASAP! :lol: 
Related resources
March 23, 2006 6:23:36 PM

I have every intention of downloading it... ;-)
March 24, 2006 7:31:11 AM

People actually use other parts of this forum? I must be missing out.
March 25, 2006 9:37:04 AM

I loved every single TES game ever released. Each had their downsides, you can't make games that vast and not have any, but those games are the quintessential RPG for me. Everything from the vast, open landscape to the way you advance your skill strikes me the right way.

I'll be buying it as soon as my video card gets here.
March 26, 2006 6:52:12 AM

I have this game and have played it about 20+ hours, it is great. One of the best I'd seen and I have played them all..

After having terrible slowdowns and freezes with my ADM 2400,98 pro, and a gig of high quality ram,I was thinking upgrade. I got lucky and solved it all with a defrag. ..it seems to me the game ended up all over my hard drive. I hope it behaves but time will tell.

Character creation is the best I have ever seen. The facial choises seem to have came from the FBI. I'm guessing if you really know what your doing, you could end up with your own face.

Battle stragery is razor sharp. Grapics are ground breaking. Music fits. I'm having trouble sometimes finding who is attacking me because of the largeness of the field of play(widescreen). Learning when to switch from 3rd person to first person is helping.

Merchant gold has not been a problem for my level 9 character so far. They say that they have fixed all the problems that people were complaining about with earlier Elder Scrolls games, I can't say.

Oblivion is worth every penny I paid for it. My hat is off to Bethesda.

Wolfy,it's about openended as it gets...

StanO
March 27, 2006 10:50:51 AM

Thanks that just convinced me to buy it now (instead of waiting a couple of months.) :D 
March 27, 2006 11:12:16 AM

Have to say I threw it on there for a quick blast to see what it was like. 5 hours later I was WTF? Where has my afternoon gone?

The game is so far utterly brilliant.

In particular the combat. Annoying part of Morrowind. Standing toe to toe with an enemy and miss hitting them. It was clunky and stupid. Fire an arrow, watch it hit your enemy and you still actually missed..... BAH.

Oblivion is actual get sword and slash your heart out. Get your bow, take aim and watch the arrow stick in your victim and stay there. It's perfect. The start of the game seamlessly gives you a taster of marksmanship, blades and shield and magic and at the end you get to make your choice of what class you will follow.

I was gonna make a long spiel about the game but I'm too busy in work and can't be arsed anymore. All I will say is that so far I'm incredibly impressed.
March 28, 2006 12:16:50 PM

I bought it yesterday and was totally blown away buy the graphics mechanics. My machine is sort of low specs for this (PIV 1.8@2.6 128MB GF6600GT) but still with AA turned off and everything else full 1024x1280 I get a decent frame rate. Luv shooting stuff with my bow and arrows.

Anyone notice a graphics glitch in the town where everybody is invisible ??? Any ideas what is wrong ?
March 29, 2006 2:42:05 AM

This is what I've been wondering...How well the game would run on sub-standard harware. I've been seeing people with 9800Pros and AXP's calling the graphics great, so this gives my A64 @ 2.5ghz, and 6600GT 550/1100 some hope. :lol: 

Does anyone else have any reports about the performance of this game on not-exactly-top-of-the-line hardware?
April 2, 2006 9:39:21 AM

WOW. Makes me wanna go out, upgrade my clunky video card to a X1900XT, CrossFire, the works. Then get into Oblivion.
April 2, 2006 12:47:01 PM

Pssht, a good RPG doesn't need graphics. Oblivion just seems to enjoy messing with people.

I think I'll go out and get it, once I get over Empires at War (alas, I'm not the 24/7 games journo that I used to be, and have to ration such things - I can still manage several games at once, just not several all-consuming ones.)

Still, on Xbox 360 the price of the game is about 15 squid short of a hundred euro. Those game price rises we've been writing about do look a lot different when you're confronted with them in-store. Happy me and my PC-playing, though, "only" 55.
April 2, 2006 2:36:54 PM

I could not resist anymore and got it on friday.

Must say it's pretty good. I can't spend as much time on it as I should in order to advance quickly enough but it sure is candy to the eyes. I like the way in which you can customize your character's looks.
April 2, 2006 7:29:17 PM

Off topic to such a degree that I think I'm in danger of discovering America, you know I preferred the static Ronald...
April 3, 2006 11:57:49 AM

Besides the price one major reason to buy the PC version over the X-box are the mods.
Check http://www.tessource.net/ for a whole lot of additions and the game has been out for a couple of weeks only!

They even have a topless mod already out, not that I would download something like that (heaven forbid) :oops:  .

Now if they only had a topless jiggly mod…………….. :oops:  :oops:  :oops: 
April 3, 2006 11:58:56 AM

your system should do fine. just be sure to download the new "oblivion driver". That solved my problems.
April 3, 2006 12:03:18 PM

Quote:
Off topic to such a degree that I think I'm in danger of discovering America

You wouldn't want to, it's full of Americans.
April 3, 2006 12:06:32 PM

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
April 4, 2006 3:06:58 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else have any reports about the performance of this game on not-exactly-top-of-the-line hardware?

My Athlon 2900, 6600GT, and 1Gig of Corsair RAM are collectively running Oblivion just fine. The auto-detect assigned "medium" settings when I first ran the game, but I manually bumped up the resolution to 1280x1024, and I haven't seen a stutter or a hiccup. And the visuals are amazing.

(Oblivion also plays vastly better than Morrowind did, which I would have thought was impossible. Some people have griped about the new system where enemy levels scale throughout the game, but here's the upside: you don't spend the first 12 hours of the game scouring the wilderness around Seyda Neen for rats to fight--and still dying more often than not--the way you had to do in Morrowind.)

I hope you enjoy it.
April 5, 2006 8:17:13 AM

Oblivion runs same as above on oc'd 2600, 1gb ram and 9800XT. Cos the game isn't particularly fast the fps doesn't really affect the game.

In response to the point above tho about scaling it's worth noting the following:

Why bother levelling up when you will always only meet enemies that of of your class and in turn why bother playing the game? 90% of the fun from an rpg is levelling up and returning to an area that before was inaccessible due to the strength of the enemies.

Scaling seems to have pissed off enough people that there are already mods out there switching it off. I personally think scaling is a dumbass of an idea.
April 5, 2006 10:03:01 AM

I have the same settings as you and they are running fine too. Funny how people with more powerful systems are having so much problems. Only real problem I had (i.e. after downloading the oblivion drivers) was a framerate hit when running in the grass. That was solved by downloading the short grass mod. I would suggest that everybody who has problems try it as it made a great difference without taking anything away from gameplay or eyecandy.
April 5, 2006 1:19:01 PM

Quote:
Why bother levelling up when you will always only meet enemies that of of your class and in turn why bother playing the game? 90% of the fun from an rpg is levelling up and returning to an area that before was inaccessible due to the strength of the enemies.

Scaling seems to have pissed off enough people that there are already mods out there switching it off. I personally think scaling is a dumbass of an idea.

I don't want to hijack the topic, but don't get me wrong: I'd personally have elected not to scale the leveling either, and I agree with your reasons why not. But I think a lot of people found Morrowind so ludicrously difficult during the beginning levels that it's refreshing to begin a game at least standing a chance at winning early combat. Scaling doesn't necessarily mean you're playing the same game throughout ... as you advance in levels, you learn more tricks, which means more opportunity for strategy. For me and the way I play, the Elder Scrolls series is more about exploration, questing, and immersion anyway.
April 5, 2006 2:35:14 PM

I actually love the scaling idea and not because the beginning is easier, but because the middle and end become much more interesting.

The emphasis is now not so much on just raising your level, but raising it efficiently. Things like training the right skills, raising the right attributes (even, especially, the minor ones) and items become much more meaningful. In Morrowind you could eventually kill Vivec with a rusty dagger - something you can't really do in Oblivion (not that I'm high level enough to try anything like that)

My only gripe, a rather large one, is that there isn't enough level range: scaling is good, but there should be more low and high level (comparitevely, say 15-20 levels lower/higher, Gaussian distribution) NPC's. Sometimes, it's nice to just dominate things with one swipe a la rat.
April 5, 2006 2:43:35 PM

My pet peeve with the current system is soul gems. No more low level creatures to fill the soul gems with. The greater gems are hard to come by (somehow that dosen’t scale in the stores) or I am missing something. After 2-3 captured souls I keep on getting the message that I do not have a gem powerful enough for the soul.

Downloading the mod the remove the scaling. Give me my rats and wolves!!!!!!
April 5, 2006 3:26:42 PM

Azura's Star works pretty well for that, though I'm not allowed into the AU yet to try it.
April 6, 2006 6:31:49 AM

So between level 15-20 you are in trouble due to the lack of a proper soul gem supply.
Anyway a great game but it has its balancing issues.
April 6, 2006 8:44:26 AM

Well isn't the point of levelling being able to dominate the lowly animals that scared you the first time round.

What's the point in having the exact same kind of difficulty in a battle for the entire game regardless of your level? Where is the drive to make you char better?
April 6, 2006 11:02:23 AM

To tell the truth, I kill things like timber wolves with one swipe (level 17-18). Spriggans (their damned heal spell) and will-o-wisps (their thrice-damned drain spell) have become beatable by just sword where that was totally impossible before.

The only thing that remains at constant difficulty are the NPCs, bandits and such. I actualy like that (despite it ruining the immersion somewhat): the stuff you get from fallen badits is much better* and the game remains challenging.

*Ebony cuirass+longsword from a marauder captain just yesterday.
April 6, 2006 11:13:01 AM

As for the soul gem thing, after reading a FAQ, I don't think the level of the creature affects it's soul-level, just the type.

All hominid NPCs have 1600 soul-points and can only be captured using a black soul-gem.
April 6, 2006 12:17:46 PM

Yeah but the problem is that most of the soul gems that I have are of the lesser type and creatures that I meet are those that require the better gems that are almost impossible to find.

I guess I’ll have to start collecting black soul gems. :twisted:

Anyway I download a mod that removes the scaling. It’s totally fun. Bandits and other humanoids are at high levels but realistically equipped. The main fun is in the monsters while there are a lot of low level monsters there are also a few that are urber powerful. There is a spell that works like the detect life but it detects the level of the monster as compared to yours. Brings a whole new level to gameplay IMHO. Now whenever I see a monster I have to decide whether to engage or not. Real fun. :)  Yesterday I was chased by 2 minotaur lords half way across the countryside. :D 
April 6, 2006 1:08:08 PM

Quote:
Well isn't the point of levelling being able to dominate the lowly animals that scared you the first time round.

What's the point in having the exact same kind of difficulty in a battle for the entire game regardless of your level? Where is the drive to make you char better?

That may be the point of levelling for you, and you're welcome to it. I think the idea of scaling was so that the game would be consistently challenging throughout and never become too much of a cake walk. I know some people like cake walks by end-game, and enjoy that feeling of confident superiority. (Again, they're welcome to it.) But the Elder Scrolls series is all about giving players a huge world and no particular rules or timetables, so the game creators really can't be sure at what level the players would be doing any particular thing. So everything scales to be a reasonable challenge no matter when the player hits it. In some ways, it makes sense.
April 8, 2006 1:41:40 AM

Played it and its awesome so GET IT RIGHT NOW
April 9, 2006 10:51:56 AM

Quote:
Played it and its awesome so GET IT RIGHT NOW

If you'd read the whole topic you would have known he already got it. :roll:
April 9, 2006 10:59:07 AM

lol.... and I've played it for all of 30 minutes. Game seems amazing initially then just completely fails to grab me.
April 9, 2006 5:54:21 PM

O come on, give it a little bit longer than that. Almost no game can really grab you in 30 minutes.

However, if RPG is not your thing, then it's not going to work, not in 30 minutes and not in 30 hours.
April 10, 2006 9:59:03 AM

I love games like Baldurs Gate II. I like old school rpgs.

Oblivion is like wander through the start dungeon. Get that certain item and bring it to a certain person.

Wander off, do a few side dungeons. Bored, everything is samey so far.

Arrive at place and I'm off again on a trek across the wilderness. Is this a walking game or something else? I'm confused....

I'm not totally finished with it. As I've said before Eve swallows most of my gaming time atm so I don't have much time for anything else. However I don't hold out much hope as very open ended games don't do it for me.
April 10, 2006 1:28:27 PM

Quote:

It's funny: I cashed in a gift certificate to buy Oblivion, but there was just a little money left on it, so I picked up the Icewind Dale Collection at the same time (which I'd never played; loved all the other Black Isle standards, though, back in the day).

You'd think the newer, glitzier, high-performance game would leave the older one in the dust, but absolutely not: I find myself playing both equally as often, and ID is the one I find myself thinking about most when I'm not playing. I love getting a game of ID1 going, finding some 80s tunes streaming on a radio station somewhere, and gettin' all retro with it. :-P

Anyway.
April 10, 2006 10:57:12 PM

balders gate was something i never managed to get into for some reason i just didnt like it didnt grab me.

Oblivion on the other hand has grabbed me ive just went over the 40 hour mark and havnt completed the main game yet. But i do have 3 houses(i stole all the money i needed) playing a bad character, did all black hand missions and all arena, three quaters the way through the thieves guild.

btw i have the cheap 2000 shack(fully furnished) the house in Bruma and the most expensive house(25000) fully furnished :D 

i love this game for the most part, a few things bug me like the crap health spells and the way your horse trys to "help" you in battles but just gets in the way, same with other characters that are meant to help you but they just get in the way and you accidently kill them.ARGH!
April 11, 2006 8:27:22 AM

Quote:

It's funny: I cashed in a gift certificate to buy Oblivion, but there was just a little money left on it, so I picked up the Icewind Dale Collection at the same time (which I'd never played; loved all the other Black Isle standards, though, back in the day).

Give me lovely static back grounds and isometric view points any day. It's my strong belief that 3d is not always the way forward in some games.
April 11, 2006 10:51:21 AM

Quote:
Anyone else got or getting this? Initial user reports are good especially the sys reqs.

I'm thinking I'll get it, I just hope it's a little less open ended as Morrowind and a bit more structured. Wolfy isn't fond of do what you like games as they quickly feel pointless.

Importantly I hope they solved my biggest gripe of the first game whereby traders often didn't have the money to buy your loot.

Its funny you know. I would like to purchase the game but I dont like shelling out $90 odd Aus dollars for these games. I simply dont get that much out of them.

I play to excess, thats for sure, but its pyschological with me - I can afford to buy them and I strongly believe in supporting the developers through purchasing legit software, but I know I will be disappointed if I do buy at top dollar. I now find myself waiting a few months for them to drop their prices. They often halve in price after 5-6 months.

Weird, I know.
April 11, 2006 10:53:07 AM

Quote:
Give me lovely static back grounds and isometric view points any day. It's my strong belief that 3d is not always the way forward in some games.

Absolutely concur! Baldurs Gate still looks ok and its almost a decade old!

Which is a big reason why Neverwinter nights was a horrid disappointment for me. I just didnt dig the 3d engine.
April 11, 2006 3:10:10 PM

Quote:
Weird, I know.

Not weird at all. Let's be kind and call it "a mature perspective" instead. I actually do the same thing, for 4 reasons:

1. I can't play every game at the same time, so I try to be selective if I'm going to pay full price for something, and then I play the heck out of it. I find that if I have too many games going at the same time, I end up not finishing any of them.

2. The longer you wait, the better the price is (as you've already said).

3. The longer you wait, the longer your PC will last you before you need to upgrade (after all, why upgrade right away when there are still 5 games you want that will run fine on your old system?).

4. In some ways the most important: the longer you wait, the better chance there is of a patch being available to fix the debilitating bugs the game shipped with. *sigh*
April 12, 2006 1:12:37 AM

This game will not be going down in price for a long time, that's my guess.
April 12, 2006 2:46:33 AM

Yep, excellent points.

Although, that said, Stano may be right in that this game might remain highly priced for a little longer...

But regardless, I agree and waiting a little while for a product to come off the proverbial "market-crazy boil" is a good thing and applies to all products, not just games, eh.

Its funny too, the more I get into some of the gripes on this game, the less I'm interested.

I've got a full copy of Baldurs Gate 2 here with the expansion that I'm yet to load up [had it for over 3 years]. That will keep me going for 6 months, at least, anyways. :lol: 
April 12, 2006 5:37:00 AM

It's really a good game. Once I was swimming in the river in Cheydinhal with nothing on except my thongs when I heard "For Lord Dagon!" behind me. I turned around and saw two Lord Dagon followers fully armored and armed charging towards me. There's nothing I could do except to swim to the middle of the river. Luckily the other npcs killed off those 2 buggers. Talk about getting caught with your pants down.
April 12, 2006 8:44:31 AM

Quote:
Talk about getting caught with your pants down.

Yes, I get that quite alot after a big night on the sauce. The ole' back-alley nut suck is still a crowd favourite.
April 12, 2006 12:20:45 PM

I've been playing for awhile now. Gorgeous game that is pushing my AMD FX-55, X800XT, 2 gig RAM system. Currently I am not going with any of the mods so as to get a better sense of the leveling up of the NPCs. I found the old system - NPCs staying constant - a little boring when I got to a certain point, though Morrowind remained interesting throughout. On the other hand, I'm more interested in the game's story lines and quests than just hacking and slashing, which feels more like a FPS with swords than an RPG. Had an interesting experience - went to help defend a farm and inadvertently killed a farmer; his brother then attacked me and I killed him in self defense. Their father went into severe mourning and didn't give me a reward as he now had funeral expenses. And, of course, the Black Brotherhood visited me that night. Interesting - "friendly fire."

Lobo
April 12, 2006 10:13:55 PM

Ironically, after I got my copy of the game on the 21st, I didn't post anywhere online for 11 days or so. So I largely missed this thread.

As for the comments on leveling, I like most of it, as I liked it as it was in Daggerfall, which leveled monsters to you in an even more strict manner. Particularly, I prefer this for NPCs. However, when I wind up getting faced with undead enemies that have craploads of health, it's not so fun. It also makes "class change" darn-near impossible, as I found out when I took my (master-level) wizard and attempted to pick back up the sword I had put down at level 3. At any rate, I didn't mind the enemies doing craploads more damage, it was just that I simply HAD to use my uber-level destruction magic or get killed pretty quick. It was also annoying that enemies grew to requiring me using my best spell 3-5 times to kill them, rather than it simply being outright overkill.

The obscene monster health, and the other gripe for leveling are the special abilities; I constantly tire of the "your willpower/intelligence has been damaged" message from will-'o-the-wisps, and the healing powers of the spriggans, make fighting them in melee a no-no; again, with many combat instances, I find myself simply blasting them away with magic.
Quote:

I don't see anybody else mentioning it, but I believe you have found their solution; I personally like it, that the price limit is simply PER TRANSACTION, rather than per day.
!